Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: ASOIAF RPG-An End to Summer (Todo: Done!)  (Read 19077 times)

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe.  I'm not really sure something like that entirely fits.

Maybe something like "No Storm Shall Break Us" or "Blood Upon Snow" or "Honor and Ice."

Assuming we choose to stay in the North, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:03:17 pm by Lucus Casius »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Maybe.  I'm not really sure something like that entirely fits.

Maybe something like "No Storm Shall Break Us" or "Blood Upon Snow" or "Honor and Ice."

Assuming we choose to stay in the North, anyway.
Yeah, that's the thing about doing a great house like this. We need a suitably badass motto.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Well, are we? I assume Sheb wants us to, and I wouldn't mind it given his character. Basically the only place in the North that does the whole knight and squire thing is around White Harbour, as worshipping the Seven is more common there. Which also makes the southeast a feasible place for When'd character, if Dwarmin set the House there instead.
Love, scriver~

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now that I look at the map again maybe someplace in the Stormlands? Or possibly near kings landing...

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, are we? I assume Sheb wants us to, and I wouldn't mind it given his character. Basically the only place in the North that does the whole knight and squire thing is around White Harbour, as worshipping the Seven is more common there. Which also makes the southeast a feasible place for When'd character, if Dwarmin set the House there instead.
Keep in mind that there ARE knights in the North, and not all knights worship the Seven.  It's just uncommon.  The White Harbor area is not the only place that does it.

Personally, I'd prefer staying with a Northern House.  I rather like the history it has now.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

A northern house makes sense for the super ancient house because of the north's ties with the first men and the longevity of the lines in the north.  Compared to some of the northern houses 5000 years is pretty young.

I would suggest putting the house on the western coast of the North.  There are vast, sparsely populated lands there with the !fun! bonus of being very vulnerable to iron island raiders.  So far from the Starks, Boltons and Manderlays the lord of this land would be all but king unto himself, too far to look to the Starks for protection.  Instead the Starks and our house stood as allies against the winter.  But the poverty of the west compared to the center or east of the North means that our house has always had to operate from a position of weakness.  There is no great keep like Winterfell that might be lost in one foul swoop to raiders.  The land is instead dotted with cunningly built outposts in difficult terrain that deny any easy victory to an enemy.  At the heart is the ancestral home of Snowtop Vale, a mountain fortress that has never fallen to a foe.

Name: House Rockhearth
House Motto: Endurance is Victory
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That... is really good.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like it.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ehhh, I think you're jumping a gun a little bit too far in regards to all our holdings just yet though (That, and I'd prefer that we had atleast one player being a house scion.)

Other than that though, the name and motto are both good.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:14:43 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's fair, as well.  Holdings are... expensive.  Incredibly, incredibly expensive.

Oh!  That reminds me.  Dwar, when are the players going to add their +1d6s?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, I'd like to go in the Riverlands actually, but if it's in the North, at least in the Southern North, so we're not a bajillion days of riding away from everything.

I quite like the "From snow, ice" motto I must say.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

It's a shame that GRR Martin decided for some reason that all the houses in Westeros are focused around a single castle.  It doesn't let you get a cosmopolitan situation like how the house of Anjou were dukes in the north and south of France, kings of southern Italy and dukes in Greece at the same time.

We could have it so that a recent king of House Rockhearth was something of a Maria-Theresa imitator married his children to far flung houses of Westeros leaving them with a set of loyalties in the Reach and the Stormlands as well as their main loyalties in the north.  Perhaps five children, two went south and three married in the north?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, House Lannister got both the Lannisters of Casterly Rock and those of Lannisport, so it's possible for a single House to have several seats.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Good point but are there any houses who's holdings aren't within spitting distance of each other?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only one that comes to mind is Baelish in the books.  His, however, is a fairly unique situation.

I should note that the game has no mechanics in place for a house with holdings in multiple parts of Westeros, and even if there were, it's unlikely we'd be able to hold that much territory for long.  The distances involved are too great, and we don't have near enough of a military to spread ourselves out like that.  While I guess a cadet house of some sort might have holdings further south, odds are (given the long history of westeros) that they'd have gotten it long, long ago and would barely resemble the modern northern house, if at all.

Also, I should note that mainiac's writeup doesn't work for the southern parts of the north.  No mountains down there, so far as I can tell, and it's significantly less cold.  Mottos involving ice and winter and snow would also be somewhat silly  for the latter reason, particularly compared to the northern Northern houses.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:15:21 pm by Lucus Casius »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16