Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Official Proposal for New Tabletop Games Sub-Board  (Read 3391 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Official Proposal for New Tabletop Games Sub-Board
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:55:21 am »

This is something I've thought about a lot, and brought up a couple of times in other threads.

Now, near as I can tell, a lot of us seem to like D&D, Warhammer, board games, etc., and we like talking about such things. But there really isn't any sort of definitive place for such discussion. FG&RP is does deal a lot with such things, but it's more about playing games than talking about them. Other Games ostensibly covers such things, but when you're in the mood to talk about RPG's, you're talking about two completely different things as far as video/tabletop games are concerned, and discussions about the former usually crowd out the latter. You might even be tempted to take your discussion to General Discussion, but GD is all full of politics and emotion threads, and considering that there are other places you might possibly put it, but can't, at this point you've probably just given up out of confusion, and decided to forget the whole thing.

So my proposal, in brief, is that we petition Toady to set up a dedicated sub-board for discussion of tabletop games.

Now, where exactly it would be located is up for discussion. It could potentially be in either Other Games or Forum Games and Roleplaying. I think I'm personally leaning towards the former, since it's more about discussion than the latter, but that's why we talk about things. And there are probably other things we need to talk about that I'm not thinking of right now. If so, let me know.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Proposal for New Tabletop Games Sub-Board
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:08:32 am »

I second this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 04:17:37 am »

I don't know really. It's a very specific thing, and I doubt there'd be more than a dozen threads.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 04:19:57 am »

I support this...

There might not be a lot of traffic... but I certainly wanted a separate spot for it.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 04:23:25 am »

I absolutely would support this. I tried to get a tabletop general thread going but it didn't really take off. I think a sub-board in Other Games would be a great place. To talk about P&P's and to create our own systems (like piecewise did with perplexicon).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 04:35:38 am »

I support this, but I don't know if there'd be enough threads to justify it.

Would the D&D and similar game threads in FGRP be moved there too?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 05:01:36 am »

I don't know really. It's a very specific thing, and I doubt there'd be more than a dozen threads.
This. I suppose there's a bit of a Catch-22 regarding making a discussion place for things there's not a lot of discussion for, but I still haven't seen much indication that we'd be inundated with D&D rule questions and Vampire fluff chatter if only there was a place for it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 05:31:11 am »

I'm going to leave a PTW here and think on it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 08:39:31 am »

I don't think this is really a issue. It seems the way we do it now, with general conversation about the game as a whole in OG and specific games that people play together in FG&RPing. The system seems to be working to me. So. Why fix what isn't broken?

Not to mention that if you were to split it off, ESPECIALLY if you split it off into a sub board under OG, it's just going to cause confusion and a split between those who check the board and those who don't. Which is something you already see somewhat, a lot of people only check FG&RPing, and I have seen the occasional tabletop game pop up in Play With Your Buddies, die on the vine, and then be reposed in FG&RPing and get a lot of sign ups.

Edit: *Cough*
I absolutely would support this. I tried to get a tabletop general thread going but it didn't really take off.

This is sorta proof that it's not a good idea, since there doesn't seem to be enough interest. *Cough*
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:47:38 am by Criptfeind »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:43:14 am »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:31:31 pm by penguinofhonor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:08 am »

I don't see how Other Games doesn't work.

I've actually... tested that... It really doesn't work because you KNOW you are just keeping a single thread up for a select few number of people.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:24 am »

... why not something like an outright associate forum instead of a sub-board? Kinda' like the MLP stuff was. Particularly for tabletop, I'd expect that to be an optimal choice -- iirc, there's other forum software with features that would facilitate P&P shenanigans. Built in dice rollers, attachment functionality for charsheets, and so on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 09:41:29 am »

... why not something like an outright associate forum instead of a sub-board? Kinda' like the MLP stuff was. Particularly for tabletop, I'd expect that to be an optimal choice -- iirc, there's other forum software with features that would facilitate P&P shenanigans. Built in dice rollers, attachment functionality for charsheets, and so on.

And when you need more or replacement players?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 09:44:34 am »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:31:26 pm by penguinofhonor »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 09:46:33 am »

And when you need more or replacement players?
The... same thing you do now? Ask, advertise, whatev'. Play with buddies or FG&RP would still be your base recruitment area, you'd just be doing the play of it somewhere else. Kinda' like running the game through IRC or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2 3