Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!  (Read 56302 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2014, 12:27:06 am »

Man, I'm starting to think that the extension was a bad idea. I really doubt we can get any more conversation going until we have a lynch and an NK to talk about.
It's the weekend, generally conversation dies out a bit during the weekend. In addition I'm currently on a trip in a hotel that you need to pay 10 bucks a day to get internet. So I need to request a replacement.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion-1 Replacement Needed (Missing Elephant)
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2014, 04:16:32 pm »

One very large part of mafia is figuring out player motivation and psychology.
How exactly does this relate to my alignment?

You said it yourself earlier. Newbtown vs. Newbscum. Most of my read on you comes from analyzing the way you post and pulling from past experiences with players that are similar to you. I might also be wrong. (In the NSBM game, I was wrong about Varee despite knowing he had to be town because I'd driven a mislynch on him twice before.)

That said, if we only trusted 100% sure reads, scum would win every game instead of most every game. :P I'm choosing to trust my intuition and various little tics in your play.

*sigh* Due to being busy all tomorrow, and power failures occuring every half hour or so, I won't be able to get that post in.

Any chance you'll be able to get it in either today or tomorrow? Still time to play the D1 game!

Man, I'm starting to think that the extension was a bad idea. I really doubt we can get any more conversation going until we have a lynch and an NK to talk about.

Thought experiment. Let's go through what associative reads you'll have depending on various lynches. Let's start with the easiest one.

What reads will you have on people if SuperBlackCat flips scum? What if he flips town?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1 - 2 Replacements Needed!
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2014, 05:45:34 pm »

It's the weekend, generally conversation dies out a bit during the weekend. In addition I'm currently on a trip in a hotel that you need to pay 10 bucks a day to get internet. So I need to request a replacement.

Replacement request noted.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion-2 Replacements Needed!
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2014, 05:47:07 pm »

Screw it, IC in me.  I'll take his place.

Edit (I can do this since I'm not in the game, right): Oh wait, Cheeetar's on the list first. Waitlist me for that, then.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion-2 Replacements Needed!
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2014, 06:42:44 pm »

Screw it, IC in me.  I'll take his place.

Edit (I can do this since I'm not in the game, right): Oh wait, Cheeetar's on the list first. Waitlist me for that, then.

Now that I have time to get around to it, I'm updating replacement stuff. Cheeetar has replaced Persus13. I've also PM'd Dorsidwarf.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:05:33 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - 1 Replacement Needed!
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2014, 08:05:49 pm »

Hey guys- I'll be your Persus13 for today. I'm going to take a bit to read through how things have been going currently before voting/posting more.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2014, 08:54:56 pm »

I'm not going to comment as IC on anything prior to my replacing in, but I will at request, or if something I think I need to comment on happens after this post- I'll probably do it in italics and a special colour and clearly label it as such. Everything else is just me trying to play to my win condition.

I'm perfectly okay with an SBC lynch, given his complete lack of content. However, it's not the best use of a lynch- I'd much rather he be modkilled or replaced or something. I'm going to use my time until the lynch scumhunting, rather than sitting and waiting for the flip.
Everyone: It is important to note that 3 people are voting for SBC purely because he's inactive. What will we learn from an SBC lynch beyond his role- has he had much interaction with other players?

masked_krusader: Your vote on SBC will remain there until he posts again. Do you believe he's faking an inability to post? Is your vote a 'punishment' for inactivity?
Deus Asmoth: You believed Execute to be more suspicious, and also lurking. Why then did you vote for SBC?
Comrade Shamrock: How will you react if SBC flips town? If he flips mafia? Would you unvote if SBC started posting again, and are you voting him because you believe his inactivity scummy or because you don't like his inactivity?

I do admit I did push you on an RVS but so did Scintillant. The exact same question in fact. I was not actually even trying to push a case on you at all. I know full well I don't have anything even remotely substantial. I'm just got a bad feel from your responses. It isn't very easy to put into words either. I was asked by Scintillant on who I thought was the scummiest.

This rubs me the complete wrong way. "I did a wrong thing, but so did this other person!" And then you say you weren't trying to push a case on somebody, as if this absolves your mistake. If you have a bad feeling from the way somebody is posting, you ought to be pushing and questioning them.

It seems as if you're playing in a very meek fashion, Comrade- not the way I'd advise mafia to be played, and one which seems to indicate to me a desire to not be noticed too much. It's a scummy way of playing, and I'm going to keep my vote on you.

As you said yoursef, I'm making newbtown mistakes. And that's because I am newbtown.

You're clearly one of the more 'knowledgeable' players Scintillant, and I don't think you should be playing off your mistakes as simply newness to mafia - mistakes often aren't scummy because it's more likely for new players to make them, they're scummy because it's more likely for scum to make them.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2014, 02:23:27 am »

First off, Unvote Execute.
Scripten:
Thought experiment. Let's go through what associative reads you'll have depending on various lynches. Let's start with the easiest one. What reads will you have on people if SuperBlackCat flips scum? What if he flips town?
Sadly, I don't feel that I'll be able to extract any information from either of these cases, since everyone currently voting for him have the same argument, namely lurking. His profile shows he hasn't posted anywhere since the 20th, or just under 4 days ago, so he probably has an RL reason for not posting. However, even when he was here, he didn't contribute much, so he is most likely scum. Given this, I very much doubt that I'd get anything of use from lynching SBC.
I have no idea.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2014, 04:33:26 am »

Cheetar: A few reasons. My read on Execute was being contradicted by nearly everyone as far as I can tell, there was no point in still voting for Execute once it looked like he was actually getting replaced and not just requesting it in an attempt to get me to back off, and SBC would be a more dangerous scum, most likely.

Scintillant, wouldn't people who voted for SBC once he had a lot of votes and was obviously not posting be more suspicious than those who did so earlier if he flipped town?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2014, 04:45:20 am »

Deus Asmoth: What's more important in your scumhunting- how much you think somebody is scummy, or how much other people think they're scummy? Does somebody being replaced redeem them of anything scummy they may have done in the past? How is SBC a more 'dangerous' scum?
I've played some mafia.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2014, 06:05:39 am »

What I think, up to a point. If it's obvious that no one else is inclined to agree with me and I'm not going to get any answers off the person I'm suspicious of, there's little point in harping on about it. Once Execute's replacement arrives I'll likely be wary of them as well, but it didn't look like I'd get any more votes on Execute as it was, so I left it.

I'd assume SBC would be more dangerous because of having more experience and making more calculated night kills than a beginner.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2014, 11:10:22 am »

Confirming availability as replacement.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:28 am »

First off, Unvote Execute.
Scripten:
Thought experiment. Let's go through what associative reads you'll have depending on various lynches. Let's start with the easiest one. What reads will you have on people if SuperBlackCat flips scum? What if he flips town?
Sadly, I don't feel that I'll be able to extract any information from either of these cases, since everyone currently voting for him have the same argument, namely lurking. His profile shows he hasn't posted anywhere since the 20th, or just under 4 days ago, so he probably has an RL reason for not posting. However, even when he was here, he didn't contribute much, so he is most likely scum. Given this, I very much doubt that I'd get anything of use from lynching SBC.

This may be true. But let's say the lynch goes through anyway. It just might, considering that deadline is approaching fast and we do NOT want a no lynch on D1. Where will/would you go?

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2014, 12:12:02 pm »

masked_krusader: Your vote on SBC will remain there until he posts again. Do you believe he's faking an inability to post? Is your vote a 'punishment' for inactivity?

Well, it was a pressure vote to get him to post more, but if
His profile shows he hasn't posted anywhere since the 20th, or just under 4 days ago, so he probably has an RL reason for not posting.
then I'm probably not going to stay with that vote.
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2014, 12:59:54 pm »

Unvote. I guess we need a poke for SBC then?

Scintillant, what's changed between when you voted for Execute and now that made you decide not to vote for him?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30