Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Author Topic: Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!  (Read 56266 times)

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »

Comrade Shamrock:
Quote from: Comrade Shamrock
If you were the mafia role cop, would you regard yourself as more important than your ordinary partner and therefore more likely to bus him?
No. I can't really see any benefit to being role cop over regular mafia. Although role cop is useful for finding and eliminating the town power roles, I don't think it provides that much benefit to bus your partner over (meaning that I might still bus, I just wouldn't take role cop status into account when deciding).
I have no idea.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2014, 04:40:05 pm »

Scintillant, a question:
Scintillant, what benefit did you see in no-lynching the first day, and why did you change your mind so quickly?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2014, 04:52:42 pm »

Scintillant, a question:
Scintillant, what benefit did you see in no-lynching the first day, and why did you change your mind so quickly?
I voted no lynch because I didn't feel confident enough to put a vote on someone. I was planning on holding my vote on no lynch until I felt I had enough evidence to call scum with reasonable confidence. As for why I changed my mind, both ICs and multiple other people said D1 no lynch was a very bad idea, so I unvoted.
I have no idea.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not that you're asking hypothetical questions. It's just that you dismiss the answers as WIFOM. I find these questions are more to find out the person's thought process. What do they think is more important? Possibly offer insight into their gameplay style. It also helps you understand how others perceive things. Also these are hypothetical answers to hypothetical questions, what did you expect? Everything that is hypothetically asked is prone to WIFOM in my opinion. There is no test you can conduct for proof. A lot of the questions are based in an ideal situation which face is rarely if ever going to happen.

Also in response to my attack on your question target I was following some IC advice from the last game I was in. Mind you I was a bit more aggressive. He just said never ask it.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2014, 05:40:21 pm »

It's not that you're asking hypothetical questions. It's just that you dismiss the answers as WIFOM. I find these questions are more to find out the person's thought process. What do they think is more important? Possibly offer insight into their gameplay style. It also helps you understand how others perceive things. Also these are hypothetical answers to hypothetical questions, what did you expect? Everything that is hypothetically asked is prone to WIFOM in my opinion. There is no test you can conduct for proof. A lot of the questions are based in an ideal situation which face is rarely if ever going to happen.
I don't exactly understand the emphasized sections. First, you accuse masked_krusader of claiming WIFOM as a defense, but then later in the same paragraph, you essentially say that WIFOM is an acceptable defense because any hypothetical answer can be classified as WIFOM. What's up with that, Comrade?
I have no idea.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2014, 06:17:09 pm »

The discussion continues and suspicion abounds.

Day 1 will end at 2 AM UTC on Friday, November 20th (47-48 hours from now). Weekends will not be counted in the time for a day or a night.

Votes:

Scripten:
Deus Asmoth:
Execute/Dumbo.exe: Deus Asmoth
masked_krusader:
Comrade Shamrock: RangerCado, Scintillant
RangerCado:
Scintillant: Persus13
Superblackcat: Scripten
Persus13:

No Lynch:

Not voting:  Execute/Dumbo.exe, masked_krusader, Comrade Shamrock, Superblackcat

Also, is there any way to only quote part of a post? Cause the only way I can see is quote the whole post and cut out the parts you don't need.

Unfortunately no, you have to do it by cutting parts off of the full post.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:25:06 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2014, 07:35:56 pm »

I was planning on holding my vote on no lynch until I felt I had enough evidence to call scum with reasonable confidence
Or until near the end of the day, at which point I would vote for the person I thought scummiest.
I have no idea.

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2014, 08:46:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also in response to my attack on your question target I was following some IC advice from the last game I was in. Mind you I was a bit more aggressive. He just said never ask it.

Of the two instances you quoted, the first weren't even answers, they were attacks based on pure speculation.  WIFOM.  The second wasn't an answer, either, it was me going off on a WIFOM-y tangent.  I never dismissed answers, Comrade, I defended myself from a baseless accusation, and started rambling.  I don't think either one is very scummy.  You seem to be pushing a weak case, though.
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:08 pm »

Day 1 will end at 2 AM UTC on Thursday, November 20th (47-48 hours from now). Weekends will not be counted in the time for a day or a night.

Wait a second, isn't 2 AM UTC in ten minutes?  I'm confused.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2014, 09:27:59 pm »

You're right, that's weird. Assuming we get 72 hours per day, we should have about 23 hours left.
I have no idea.

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2014, 09:34:36 pm »

Actually, I just looked at the other periodic DarkStar posts, and all of them say that Day 1 would end a half hour ago.  Hmm...
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2014, 09:42:04 pm »

Tbh, I'm not sure what's going on with TDS' posts because by end time, they all say that D1 ended half an hour ago, but by remaining time, they say it end in a day.
I have no idea.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2014, 09:49:42 pm »

Actually, I just looked at the other periodic DarkStar posts, and all of them say that Day 1 would end a half hour ago.  Hmm...
I think he meant to say 2 AM UTC Friday, instead of Thursday, since we're supposed to have 72 hour days.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2014, 10:02:58 pm »

Starting this post off by saying activity dropped quite a bit today it seems... huh.

Scripten: Fair enough on all accounts there, though I do think that its usually just a break the ice kind of question on the first point.

Vote Execute. Trying to get a no lynch on day 1 can only be bad for the town, and it's the most suspicious play I've seen so far.
Deus: Alright, this is odd to me. I think most of us can agree its just a newbie misconception to go for a no lynch. And when its already been resolved, theres REALLY no need to push a vote on them unless you have something else to back it up. And considering its both your only point, and a post lacking in any questions to further your hunting, I'd say this is a pretty weak push at best. What are you trying to accomplish here?

Comrade:
Sorry, wanted to get that post out and it was getting late already. Didn't have time to organize.

masked_krusader:
But if there is a counterclaim it means that someone is definitely a liar.
Comrade: There is a very simple solution to counterclaims that makes it easy to figure out. Unless its MYLO or LYLO, then we just lynch one and if the counter claim was a false claim, we lynch the other and thereby lower the mafia numbers in the end. Of course this doesn't work very well AT MYLO and LYLO, but then its a different situation and would have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Also, why no follow up question here? You seem to just be stating a single hole you've found but not adding a question with it. Any reason behind this?
Sleep was the primary factor involved. It was 00:14 where I am. I wanted to go to bed. I still can't think of any question I'd ask in regards to that.

What would be your favourite mafia role? Why?
In a BM, probably the role cop. If I get blocked, my partner could still the the kill through, and I tend to lean towards the investigation roles as they let me get more information for whichever side I am a part of.

Whats the biggest scum tell you can think of and why? (Besides the annoying answer of them admitting it.) Also, why all the prodding about RVS questions with Krusader? Seriously, I don't get it when things are still somewhat in that stage. What was so suspicious of his questions?

Alright, I will give you that though, that IS a lot of throwing things off as WIFOM.

I don't exactly understand the emphasized sections. First, you accuse masked_krusader of claiming WIFOM as a defense, but then later in the same paragraph, you essentially say that WIFOM is an acceptable defense because any hypothetical answer can be classified as WIFOM. What's up with that, Comrade?
Scintillant: ...I don't see this. I see a re-affirmation of what he's saying, that you should answer the hypothetical questions with hypothetical answers and not dismiss them as getting into WIFOM with only half answers accompanying them. Why interpret it like this exactly?

And this?
I was planning on holding my vote on no lynch until I felt I had enough evidence to call scum with reasonable confidence
Or until near the end of the day, at which point I would vote for the person I thought scummiest.
Votes hold power, and pressure. Use it, don't hold it back until the end. Unvote, Vote Scintillant. Where is this line of thinking coming from?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2014, 10:07:46 pm »

Superblackcat
Do you expect any silly gambits this game?

No, I do not, It's a pretty standard setup beginner mafia, gambits won't happen, in my opinion, until scum manages to survive to late game. And even then, the chances of it happening are low.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30