Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!  (Read 56295 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2014, 04:50:57 pm »

Okay, just woke up here (time zones)
Execute/Dumbo.exe:
Execute/Dumbo.exe: How do you feel your play will differ this game from when you have a town role?
Quite a lot, I would suspect, for one thing, I won't have to plan out my posts quite so much.
Could you explain exactly what you mean by this? Why would posts require less planning as scum vs. town?
Hold on, what?
Rereading here...
Ah, I see.
Sorry, that was a badly worded post there, what I meant to say was that as scum it takes a lot of planning while as town I don't need to worry so much as I can actually go on my actual cases without having to plan for an hour every post.

I was confused because the only part of mafia I participated in before this was as scum so I assumed you were talking about that instance compared to as if I was town instead.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2014, 04:54:08 pm »

Shamrock:Do you think it's a good think when multiple people are asking a single person questions to apply more pressure, or is that just running the risk of scum jumping on an easy target?

Crusader: What would your scum strategy be, then?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2014, 05:44:13 pm »

Crusader: What would your scum strategy be, then?

If I were scum, I would try to scumhunt as best as I could without actually targeting any buddies, and be active, so I wouldn't fall prey to the "lurker = scum -> autolynch" thing that happens basically every game.

Scripten
If a scummy player was lynched, but flipped town, how would you proceed?

Execute/Dumbo.exe
If it got down to MYLO, would you attempt to hang scum, or push for a no-lynch to get more info?

Comrade Shamrock
If you had a power role, and someone fakeclaimed your role, would you claim to get them lynched, or push suspicion on them to avoid getting NK'd?

RangerCado
How would you deal with lurkers?

Scintillant
If you were a Jailkeeper, would you try to protect an NK target, or try to block a scum directly?

Superblackcat
Do you expect any silly gambits this game?

Persus13
Where you at, bro?
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2014, 06:03:38 pm »

Scripten
If a scummy player was lynched, but flipped town, how would you proceed?

Take a look at the wagon that got them lynched. Look for people on the wagon but not particularly committing to it. Move on to other reads. Mislynches are just a fact of the game. Getting too upset over one can shake up your town game.

What about this question do you think suggests at my alignment?

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2014, 06:08:46 pm »

Scripten:
Scripten:
If you won't confront, are you at least going to ask questions?

This is a leading question and I don't like that. What do you think, considering my play so far?
A question! Well at least it's an improvement. I had hoped to provoke more active involvement.

(Town approach)I feel like you are going to hang back until someone does something you find particularly scummy and then apply pressure until either they give more away or do something that makes you think they are town.

(Scum approach)Pretty much the same as town. Except you hope to catch someone who does something you think is enough to start an argument and possibly get a lynch. Either that or you could stage a fight with your scum buddy so as if one of you turns up the less likely you will be to be suspected.

Sadly I don't think I would really spot the difference between the two and so this isn't very helpful to me. Why did you ask this anyway?

Deus:
I would go for group questioning. Even if scum gets into the questioning he has less of an impact if he was the only questioner. I also feel people will devote more thought to it as they are directly involved.

But if it does lead to a lynch. The scum involved does have to craft an excuse as to why they were involved otherwise they will be seen as a bandwagoner going for an easy target.

masked_krusader
I would claim to get them lynched. Trying to push suspicion is not guaranteed to get them lynched neither is it a guarantee of protection against a night kill. I might just get killed for pushing suspicion towards them. I would rather go for the more guaranteed method.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »

Execute/Dumbo.exe
If it got down to MYLO, would you attempt to hang scum, or push for a no-lynch to get more info?
Well, first up I would like to know what MYLO means? Does it mean when if town lunches the wrong person the scum win or something?
Alan help.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2014, 06:24:10 pm »

A question! Well at least it's an improvement. I had hoped to provoke more active involvement.

::)

If you're just going to misrepresent my play, you can go straight to my scum bloc. If you truly believe that my play is suboptimal, I'm going to ask you to back that gak up.

(Town approach)I feel like you are going to hang back until someone does something you find particularly scummy and then apply pressure until either they give more away or do something that makes you think they are town.

(Scum approach)Pretty much the same as town. Except you hope to catch someone who does something you think is enough to start an argument and possibly get a lynch. Either that or you could stage a fight with your scum buddy so as if one of you turns up the less likely you will be to be suspected.

So what makes you think that you have such a firm grasp of the way I play mafia? You're setting up a strawman here to knock down, and I find this underhanded.

Sadly I don't think I would really spot the difference between the two and so this isn't very helpful to me. Why did you ask this anyway?

I was asking you to look back through my play so far, since you're pushing untruths.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2014, 06:40:38 pm »

Scripten:
You kind of laid it out earlier on.
Scripten:
You seem to be trying to ingratiate yourself with other players. Directly with Scintillant and indirectly with others. While it could just be good gamesmanship, I'm wondering whether it has an ulterior motive.

I'll get to confronting people when it's necessary. Being polite and being compliant are different entirely.

I think that pretty much covers it. You said that you would confront people when the time came to it. This then went into the approaches I gave to your possible approach to the game.

You also asked my what I would think what you would do. What did you expect, for me to ignore the question?
Scripten:

This is a leading question and I don't like that. What do you think, considering my play so far?
I took this to mean you were asking what I'd think you'd do so I developed what you said above into a possible approach.

Now could you please tell me what has you so uppity about my responses. Or are you trying to twist my words?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:03 pm »

Scripten:
You seem to be trying to ingratiate yourself with other players. Directly with Scintillant and indirectly with others. While it could just be good gamesmanship, I'm wondering whether it has an ulterior motive.

I'll get to confronting people when it's necessary. Being polite and being compliant are different entirely.

I think that pretty much covers it. You said that you would confront people when the time came to it. This then went into the approaches I gave to your possible approach to the game.

Being confrontational is not the only way to play the game. It's unnecessary to employ in all situations. You then twisted my words to imply that I was not participating in the game. That's untrue and, frankly, insulting.

You also asked my what I would think what you would do. What did you expect, for me to ignore the question?
Scripten:

I took this to mean you were asking what I'd think you'd do so I developed what you said above into a possible approach.

Now could you please tell me what has you so uppity about my responses. Or are you trying to twist my words?

I specifically meant for you to go back and reread my play this game. I'll admit to being sarcastic, but I greatly dislike the way you're presenting my play and I feel it's a misrepresentation. Can you back up the claim you're pushing that my play has not been optimal or town-oriented?

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2014, 07:05:30 pm »

masked_krusader
I would claim to get them lynched. Trying to push suspicion is not guaranteed to get them lynched neither is it a guarantee of protection against a night kill. I might just get killed for pushing suspicion towards them. I would rather go for the more guaranteed method.

True enough, though claiming may not work either, but that's WIFOM territory again.

Execute/Dumbo.exe
Well, first up I would like to know what MYLO means? Does it mean when if town lunches the wrong person the scum win or something?
MYLO, I believe, means there are two more town than scum; therefore, if a mislynch occurs, scum will nightkill and it will be even numbers, meaning scum victory.
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2014, 07:14:26 pm »

Scripten:
I did not mean to say your game is sub-optimal. It's just that you are playing in a mainly reactive manner. Very few questions seem to come from you. You provide well detailed answers and offer advice. But if we look back I think you have addressed two people in an inquiry without a prompt. These were both Persus and Blackcat, our absentee ICs. Then there is the spat we just had, which I provoked by basically insulting you (sorry about that).

Now we are warned that the greatest killer of BM games is inactivety. This is what I find a slight problem. As one of the more experienced players your reactive approach is not providing the best example for us newbies. Especially since the ICs are nowhere to be seen in terms of actual gameplay, the mentor role falls to you. So I was trying to get you to become more proactive as an example to help us learn from someone who has experience.

masked_krusader:
But if there is a counterclaim it means that someone is definitely a liar.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »

Quote from: masked_krusader
Execute/Dumbo.exe

MYLO, I believe, means there are two more town than scum; therefore, if a mislynch occurs, scum will nightkill and it will be even numbers, meaning scum victory.
Right, thought so.
Well, in that case, I would have to go for no lynch, as if there becomes one less player, then it becomes easier to figure out who is scum, because hey, if you pick the wrong guy you were still going to lose.
Alan help.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2014, 07:25:13 pm »

Okay, just got back, reading updates now. Expect responses and questions within half an hour.
I have no idea.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »

Masked_Krusader: My gut is telling me that something is off with your response here
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but I'm going to unvote anyways. Also, wrt to your question:
Quote from: masked_krusader
If you were a Jailkeeper, would you try to protect an NK target, or try to block a scum directly?
Depends on how many scum were left. If there was only one left, I'd block him so that NK is guaranteed prevented. If there's more than one, I'd go for the NK target, seeing as blocking one scum would still allow the other to make the NK (I think that's how it works at least).

Execute/Dumbo.exe: I'm still a bit suspicious of you, but I'm mostly satisfied with your response for now.

Persus13: I know that others have said this already, but stop lurking and get out here. You haven't posted at all yet.

RangerCado: Same goes for you, all you've said is that you'll reply "before the end of the day". Get out here and contribute to the scumhunt, or at the very least, answer the questions we've asked you. At this point, your lack of response is getting suspicious.

Scripten:
Scripten:
Here, I feel you're being evasive. While you do prove that you'll ask questions by asking a question, you didn't explain why you weren't asking questions. In case you state that the original question didn't explicitly ask for you to provide that, well, I'm going to ask that now. Why have you asked so few questions? By my count, you've asked only two (not counting your argument with masked_krusader).

Comrade Shamrock: What are your current top two picks for scum and why?
I have no idea.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2014, 09:19:26 pm »

Scripten:
Scripten:
Here, I feel you're being evasive. While you do prove that you'll ask questions by asking a question, you didn't explain why you weren't asking questions. In case you state that the original question didn't explicitly ask for you to provide that, well, I'm going to ask that now. Why have you asked so few questions? By my count, you've asked only two (not counting your argument with masked_krusader).

Actually, my interaction was with Comrade Shamrock, not masked_krusader.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a collection of posts "counting questions" (which is a poor way to represent a player's play to begin with) and does not include my argument with Comrade Shamrock. Now, explain why you're attacking the strawman that Comrade Shamrock built on a misrepresentation of my play, please?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30