Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Levy  (Read 10408 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Levy
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2014, 08:41:37 pm »

Yes, but do they have shields? That's the important question.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2014, 08:57:20 pm »

Either way we need to reinforce the middle and hold while we let the sergeant and his forces deal with out flanking the enemy

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2014, 09:19:47 pm »

Why the hell did you put the spearmen on the flank?  Don't put your least mobile, most-devastated-if-flanked troops on the flank, that's a terrible idea!

Guard the left flank, keep close to the central fighters and try to keep as long a line as possible at least four ranks deep.

Priority is to prevent flanking of the central column.  Once contact made, forward march and try to plough into the enemy force, keeping them occupied so the sergeant can pull a more manoeuvreable flank.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2014, 12:00:59 am »

The reason the spearmen were put on the flank, if I'm not wrong, was because they were what melee troops we had. We wanted to make the center weak, so they would charge us, and then we could envelop them. Which seems to have worked. Four ranks deep would leave us two (and a half) columns wide. We'll have to spread out fairly thin to avoid being flanked, which you accurately pointed out be a danger. I have a feeling the archers will get slaughtered if we leave them be, so we should move up to protect them.

We've got a minute or so, so the enemy are probably 50 meters away or so (they charge at a run, running in formation probably means 8 minute miles or so at best, 2 minutes for a hundred meters, one minute for 50 meters) which is probably ample time to yell at Arlen to get back (We should be just behind and to the left of them) and get in front of him, then brace for the charge or countercharge. Here's a diagram: E is the enemy, X is us, A is the archers, and S is the sergeant's men.

__EEEEE__                         __EEEEE__
                       ______\      __XXXXX__
                                  /      AAA___SSS
___AAA___
XXX___SSS

They'll have us three to one, but they won't be able to bring their numbers to bear because of our spears and the fact that our flanks will be protected by the archers and the sergeant. We'll stop them in their tracks, the sergeant and possibly Arlen can flank them, and that'll be curtains for them.

The original idea seemed to be to hit their flank as they go by to hit the archers, but I'm not as sure of it as the one above. It would let the majority of them hit the archers, who would get slaughtered, and then we'd be in dire straits both in terms of getting flanked and in terms of morale. Therefore, it's better to pull forward to protect the archers, rather than attack the enemy flank as they come by.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:04:25 am by Beneviento »
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2014, 03:14:49 am »

+1 to the above.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2014, 06:51:37 am »

Yeah that sounds like a plan to me better then what I got.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2014, 11:02:16 am »

You make a decision, and quickly pull your flank in front of the archers. As the mob approaches, they slow a little, as the men in front become less eager to face the wall of spears in front of them. However, the men behind them continue pushing them onwards, and soon, they crash over the wall of spears. Your spearmen spring into action, stabbing at every man that gets close to them. In the first few moments of the battle, at least eight of the clubmen are dead or dying. The clubmen then retaliate, trying to get past the spears, and one of the men on the flanks is separated from the formation, and overcome by clubmen. The clubmen try to press the advantage before you can reform, but the spears keep them at bay. At this point, the battle seems to have reached a sort of stalemate, with the clubmen being unable to get past the spears, and the spearmen unable to push forward into the horde of clubmen. One of the clubmen manages to knock a spear aside, and rushes forward, swinging his cudgel at your head. However, you manage to pull your shield up in time, and force him back into the crowd with a shield bash. As he stumbles into the crowd, your men push forward, skewering two more clubmen.

At this moment, the sergeant's men finally charge into the rear of the mob, catching them by surprise. The ten men at the rear of the formation are cut down and thrown aside, and the formation begins to break apart, with small groups of clubmen making last stands everywhere you can turn. Arlen's men join the fight as well, and the clubmen are quickly mopped up, surrendering or being slaughtered, with low casualties. The last bastion of enemy resistance is a small hill, where the enemy militia is holding on. The sergeant gestures for you to bring your men over and help take the hill, and you prepare to attack. The spearmen advance up the hill, poking and prodding, but the trained militia easily keep them at bay. The sergeant's men have, meanwhile, charged up the other side of the hill, and their axes bite into the militia men, downing two of them. The sergeant himself has started fighting the leader of the militia, and they are currently caught up in a fierce sword fight. The militia bite back at your men, bringing down their swords on your shields, but you just barely manage to avoid losing anyone. Suddenly, seeing an opportunity, you stab under the shield of one of the militiamen, catching him in the leg. He tumbles downwards, and the thrown-together formation of the militia begins to collapse. The spearmen begin to swarm up the hill, and, very soon, all of the militiamen are on the ground, dead or incapacitated. Meanwhile, the sergeant and the militia captain have continued dueling, and, after a few feints, the militia captain suddenly strikes out at the sergeant. The sergeant easily deflects the blow off his shield, and retaliates, gutting the captain with his sword. As the last of the enemy fall, you look around, and realize that the battle is over.

You do a quick headcount, and find that you've lost four men, the sergeant's lost five, and Arlen lost two. About a half of the enemy force is dead, the rest are wounded, or surrendered. What do you do now?

((STOP IT. NO. BAD. YOU ROLLED A 17, PLUS BONUSES, AT THE BEGINNING, AND THEY ROLLED A 1.))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2014, 11:12:01 am »

Man, I must be lucky.

Both games with rolls that I have been in recently have been almost always succeeding...

Ah... Disarm the surrendered and wounded, get some guys to guard them. Look for an officer of somesort and see what they have on them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2014, 11:21:24 am »

Grab ALL the good things

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2014, 11:39:43 am »

Before any body gets mobbing for equipment. Organize a detachment to deal with the surrendered and wounded. Then another to collect all the weapons and pile them and organize them we can distribute it to the guys later. Do the same for any valuables we find.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2014, 11:44:10 am »

Before any body gets mobbing for equipment. Organize a detachment to deal with the surrendered and wounded. Then another to collect all the weapons and pile them and organize them we can distribute it to the guys later. Do the same for any valuables we find.
+1, but gather shields and armor, as well.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2014, 12:47:26 pm »

+1. Are all of our losses killed, or do those numbers include our wounded as well?
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2014, 01:17:30 pm »

Dead and severely wounded.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2014, 01:30:54 pm »

+1, but if you see any particularly tasty stuff pick it up for yourself because that's what everyone else will be doing.

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2014, 01:48:21 pm »

Dont take stuff for ourself. Set a good example
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12