Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257555 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2880 on: January 28, 2015, 08:29:53 am »

Quote from: Knit tie link=topic=145400.msg5991065#msg5991065
@Erkki: To be honest, I was surprised there was any draft avoidance at all - Ukrainians in general are not known for cowardice and selfishness.
Many people (including myself) would argue that draft dodging is not necessarily cowardice or selfishness. Are you in the army? If not do you consider yourself a coward or selfish for not enlisting?
I've yet to recieve my draft notice. When, and if, I do, I will doubtlessly enlist, like I've stated many times in the past.
Which is your choice. Personally I wouldn't. If someone actually expects me to kill & die for my country then I'd expect some more convincing arguments then we've decided you should & have to. Calling draft dodgers cowards is just spouting rhetoric. Particular if you're trying to make Western Ukrainians look worse to try & justify Russia's actions.
Different systems of values, what can I say?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: January 28, 2015, 09:08:58 am »

Another example of media war and a completely made up stuff:

http://ria.ru/crimea_today/20150120/1043430974.html#14224535235153&message=resize&relto=register&action=addClass&value=registration

and: http://fontanka.fi/articles/18222/

Apparently the goal there is to present further evidence of good neighbor relations and/or disagreements within the EU, target audience being probably Russian. CO Peter Holst of the lähiauluematkat oy was invited to a tourist business conference on Crimea. In YLE's interview (here he denies everything the Russian sites above claim: his company is not planning to go around any sanctions or laws and is not about to open any kind of business in Crimea. He also recommends everyone else to also not to, and says his attendance was not supposed to be any kind of display of "compliance to Russian leadership". He underlines that he just attended a business conference.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: January 28, 2015, 09:14:40 am »

I really wonder, do you speak Russian, Erkki?

EDIT: It's not like there was a lot of non-Russian tourists in Crimea, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:25:52 am by Knit tie »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: January 28, 2015, 09:29:33 am »

Yeah, that too.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:02 am »

Yeah, that too.
I mean, seriously, Crimea has always been an inter-Russian, so to speak, resort. Even in an apolitical vacuum, I cannot imagine it being a popular destination for international tourists unless its infrastructure undergoes a spectacularly thorough renovation, otherwise it's just too, well, shabby and unkempt for Finns and others to prefer it to places like Greece and Ibiza.

EDIT: A group of pro-Russian hackers just posted a bunch of documents from the PC of Ukraine's Prosecutor General. Haven't read them yet, but there's bound to be something delicious there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:52:14 am by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: January 28, 2015, 09:56:36 am »

If thou say that Russia annexed Crimea, then we say that FRG annexed GDR.

That makes no sense since they simutaneously annexed each other, if you will. But if that's how you want to deal with the past, even if it smacks of revisionism, so be it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: January 28, 2015, 09:59:29 am »

What? Now, the East German Ländern voted to join the BRD, as allowed by the West German constitution (well, they don't call it a constitution, but whatever).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: January 28, 2015, 10:06:59 am »

What? Now, the East German Ländern voted to join the BRD, as allowed by the West German constitution (well, they don't call it a constitution, but whatever).
So did Crimea.

But we are seriously putting too much thought into a simple "Fuck you!" to Germany from Russia, in my opinion.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: January 28, 2015, 10:08:32 am »

That makes no sense since they simutaneously annexed each other, if you will.
Nonono, the GDR was indeed absorbed into the FRG. We never got a new constitution either. But nobody significant gives a shit about it, and those who do generally deserve a bullet between the eyes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: January 28, 2015, 10:10:56 am »

So did Crimea.

But we are seriously putting too much thought into a simple "Fuck you!" to Germany from Russia, in my opinion.
The East German Ländern didn't conduct its vote under the guns of pro-annexation soldiers from the nation doing the annexing, and it was a straightforward yes/no instead of a "yes/give the decision over to the pro-annexation rump Rada."  But, we've been over this road many times before. 

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: January 28, 2015, 10:19:34 am »

So did Crimea.

The East German Ländern didn't conduct its vote under the guns of Russian soldiers, and it was a straightforward yes/no instead of a "yes/give the decision over to the pro-annexation rump Rada."  But, we've been over this road many times before.
Guns of Russian soldiers that were warmly welcomed by the local populace, which was so openly pro-Russian it wanted to lynch its not pro-Russian government officials, Culise, and the question really was a yes/no. The "no" version meant that Crimea would've regained its post-Soviet constitution, the one that was forcibly removed by the Ukrainian Rada, nothing about removing Crimea from Ukraine. And most of crimeans considered the referendum to be free and fair, so what's the problem?

That makes no sense since they simutaneously annexed each other, if you will.
Nonono, the GDR was indeed absorbed into the FRG. We never got a new constitution either. But nobody significant gives a shit about it, and those who do generally deserve a bullet between the eyes.
I bet you nobody significant would've given a shit about Crimea either, if it was absorbed with the permission of Washington.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:21:17 am by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:58 am »

So did Crimea.

The East German Ländern didn't conduct its vote under the guns of pro-annexation soldiers from the nation doing the annexing, and it was a straightforward yes/no instead of a "yes/give the decision over to the pro-annexation rump Rada."  But, we've been over this road many times before. 
Technically there never was a direct referendum - there was just the Volkskammerwahl, the only free election the GDR ever had. It was pretty clear at the time though that reunification was on the table, and everyone voting for the Volkskammer knew that.
The reunification itself was an agreement between the Volkskammer and the Bundestag.

Guns of Russian soldiers that were warmly welcomed by the local populace, which was so openly pro-Russian it wanted to lynch its not pro-Russian government officials, Culise, and the question really was a yes/no. The "no" version meant that Crimea would've regained its post-Soviet constitution, the one that was forcibly removed by the Ukrainian Rada, nothing about removing Crimea from Ukraine. And most of crimeans considered the referendum to be free and fair, so what's the problem?
Mainly that all this is mostly just something you're claiming, without any possibility of verification.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: January 28, 2015, 10:24:29 am »

Except of course for the Tatars and others, but who cares about them, right? Also, the referendum was free and fair, with pro-Ukrainians channels seized before the referendum, results that would make North Korea proud, a votes counted by the Russians installed at gunpoint.

Also your narrative neatly ignore that a mere 40% of Crimean wanted to join Russia (or even identified as Russians) prior to the Maidan. And that the Russian soldiers were presented as local militamen.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: January 28, 2015, 10:26:16 am »

Except of course for the Tatars and others, but who cares about them, right? Also, the referendum was free and fair, with pro-Ukrainians channels seized before the referendum, results that would make North Korea proud, a votes counted by the Russians installed at gunpoint.

Also your narrative neatly ignore that a mere 40% of Crimean wanted to join Russia (or even identified as Russians) prior to the Maidan. And that the Russian soldiers were presented as local militamen.
Tatars? What Tatars? I haven't heard about them existing since summer.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: January 28, 2015, 10:27:19 am »

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 220