Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257515 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2866 on: January 28, 2015, 12:53:24 am »

Apparently Belarus is afraid of Russia pulling a Crimea on them.

According to a copy of the law published online, Minsk will view the deployment of another nation's armed groups, irregular forces, mercenaries or regular military units in the country as a military attack, regardless of whether or not it was accompanied by a declaration of war.

The real question is: why does anyone feel the need to elaborate that? You'd think that people'd consider an attack an attack regardless of whether or not the belligerent party politely announces their intention.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: January 28, 2015, 12:54:09 am »

From that article:
Dear reader,

Due to the increasing number of users engaging in personal attacks, spam, trolling and abusive comments, we are no longer able to host our forum as a site for constructive and intelligent debate.

It is with regret, therefore, that we have found ourselves forced to suspend the commenting function on our articles.

The Moscow Times remains committed to the principle of public debate and hopes to welcome you to a new, constructive forum in the future.

Regards,

The Moscow Times
It's interesting to be reminded that despite the semi-frequent disruptions here, for the most part things have remained civil. 
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: January 28, 2015, 12:56:26 am »

Wait, it's not the unemployment index but the percentage of people who think that the unemployment is getting better/worse?
Yes, the website I linked deals exclusively with polls and opinions, economic research is not its domain. I think I should edit the original post, not that you mention it.

That specific graph was also poorly titled.

Also, just out of curiosity, was that big spike in 2007/2008 there due to ripple effects from the economic crisis we were having at that time?

What about mercenaries/soldiers of fortune/foriegn fighters that are actually on Belarus's side?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:04:54 am by smjjames »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: January 28, 2015, 02:35:25 am »

I find it fun how stereotypes ruin. I will tell a secret to our Russian friends, Right Sector is like 75% Eastern Ukrainians (including its leader). It is funny to see how huge chunk of young, 16-26 year old Ukrainian nationalists are Russian Speakers. New generation arrived.

As for some parts of Western Ukraine* and draft avoidance. Honestly, knowing mentality of the area I would be surprised if it would go any other way. In fact only 57% avoidance is less than I expected. We are talking about mountainous rural areas here. They are very independent minded people. Guys who wanted to go to the front volunteered long long time ago. Others. Other believe that government has no right to decide for them should they go to the front or not.

*Western Ukraine is large and each region is far from being same. Lviv and Ivano-Frankivsk may be neighbours but they are different
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:39:57 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: January 28, 2015, 04:00:57 am »

I dont think that there is any racial/cultural thing among "West Ukrainians" that makes them less prone to willing to die for their homeland.

Raate Road and 44. Kievskaya Rifle Division comes to mind...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: January 28, 2015, 05:06:32 am »

Knit Tie, weren't you dismissing the Levada Center has an hopelessly partisan sources of news earlier?

I wonder how Russia's relations with Belarus will end. You'd think that after 1956 and 1968, Russia would know that friendship cannot be obtained at gunpoint.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: January 28, 2015, 07:00:40 am »

According to a copy of the law published online, Minsk will view the deployment of another nation's armed groups, irregular forces, mercenaries or regular military units in the country as a military attack, regardless of whether or not it was accompanied by a declaration of war.

The real question is: why does anyone feel the need to elaborate that? You'd think that people'd consider an attack an attack regardless of whether or not the belligerent party politely announces their intention.
I'd say it's a political maneuver first and foremost. Belarus simply needed to declare that it is not just another part of Russia, but a country in its own right. Still, I see no great consequences of this law.

Knit Tie, weren't you dismissing the Levada Center has an hopelessly partisan sources of news earlier?

I wonder how Russia's relations with Belarus will end. You'd think that after 1956 and 1968, Russia would know that friendship cannot be obtained at gunpoint.
News? Indeed. Its commentary is firmly anti-Putin and anti-Russian in general. But the Levada Center is also an excellent source of genuine, unbiased, untampered with polls, which can be said to carry even more weight than those made by Rosstat, the official Russian polling agency, since they cannot be said to ever be sympathetic with the current government. If Levada centre says that, for example, 65% of the people suport Lavrov, it most likely will be the truth.

As for Belarus, I don't think there will be an end to its relations with Russia any time soon.

@Erkki: To be honest, I was surprised there was any draft avoidance at all - Ukrainians in general are not known for cowardice and selfishness.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:12:39 am by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: January 28, 2015, 07:10:42 am »

If thou say that Russia annexed Crimea, then we say that FRG annexed GDR.
You know who holds that position in Germany? You know, Germany, the country you're talking about? Only people who want to abolish parliamentarism, people who claim the GDR was democratic as well as republican. Sure, you can position yourself at the side of these people, but it will only make the gap between Russia and the West bigger, it will only alienate us further, and lead to Russia being perceived as foreign, hostile and, ultimately, evil.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: January 28, 2015, 07:13:40 am »

You know who holds that position in Germany? You know, Germany, the country you're talking about? Only people who want to abolish parliamentarism, people who claim the GDR was democratic as well as republican. Sure, you can position yourself at the side of these people, but it will only make the gap between Russia and the West bigger, it will only alienate us further, and lead to Russia being perceived as foreign, hostile and, ultimately, evil.
Helgo, I think Sergarr was making a joke.

Okay, not really. I think that this new statement is just a political middle finger to Germany. Like we say in Russia, "throwing shit into the fan."
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:17:45 am by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: January 28, 2015, 07:25:43 am »

You say that as if that's a bad thing.
._.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: January 28, 2015, 07:32:10 am »

Quote from: Knit tie link=topic=145400.msg5991065#msg5991065
@Erkki: To be honest, I was surprised there was any draft avoidance at all - Ukrainians in general are not known for cowardice and selfishness.
Many people (including myself) would argue that draft dodging is not necessarily cowardice or selfishness. Are you in the army? If not do you consider yourself a coward or selfish for not enlisting?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: January 28, 2015, 07:32:59 am »

You say that as if that's a bad thing.
Oh yeah, that right.

*Burns the NATO flag in his backyard to the sounds of the Soviet hymn.*

Many people (including myself) would argue that draft dodging is not necessarily cowardice or selfishness. Are you in the army? If not do you consider yourself a coward or selfish for not enlisting?
I've yet to recieve my draft notice. When, and if, I do, I will doubtlessly enlist, like I've stated many times in the past.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:36:03 am by Knit tie »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: January 28, 2015, 08:01:42 am »

I've yet to recieve my draft notice. When, and if, I do, I will doubtlessly enlist, like I've stated many times in the past.
Which is your choice. Personally I wouldn't. If someone actually expects me to kill & die for my country then I'd expect some more convincing arguments then we've decided you should & have to. Calling draft dodgers cowards is just spouting rhetoric. Particular if you're trying to make Western Ukrainians look worse to try & justify Russia's actions.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 220