Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257636 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2821 on: January 26, 2015, 04:18:21 pm »

That's been coming for a long time, and a pro-Russian pundit has already written a piece about it.

EDIT: I also found a Youtube channel with translated rebel videos. I recommend taking a look.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:21:01 pm by Knit tie »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: January 26, 2015, 09:04:57 pm »

Aaaand apparently the ruble's giving in in response. Nihil novi sub sole...
E:
That's been coming for a long time, and a pro-Russian pundit has already written a piece about it.
That was the last downgrading. This one's new.
And that article is utter shite - it doesn't mention Ukraine even once. Knit, do you really have such low standards for your sources?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:08:52 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: January 26, 2015, 09:14:07 pm »

The article has its flaws, but don't you agree that its core idea is rather on point? And the reason I linked it is because I don't think that there is anything about the current downgrade that cannot be also said about the last one.

But still, of all the problems with the article, why the lack of mention of Ukraine?

And I'm afraid most of your sources are also shite - the last article you gave me about Russian conscripts from The Guardian was hilariously awful as well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:21:18 pm by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:31 pm »

Because the biggest threat to the Russian economy right now are Western sanctions, and those are inextricably linked with the Ukraine situation...

Remind me, what Guardian article? I rarely read that particular newspaper, so it would have to have been quite a while ago. And the latest article from The Assault Rifle Of Democracy (Der Spiegel's sort-of nickname) was merely stating facts that even you won't dispute...
The Bay12 postcard club

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:48 pm »

Because the biggest threat to the Russian economy right now are Western sanctions, and those are inextricably linked with the Ukraine situation...

Remind me, what Guardian article? I rarely read that particular newspaper, so it would have to have been quite a while ago. And the latest article from The Assault Rifle Of Democracy (Der Spiegel's sort-of nickname) was merely stating facts that even you won't dispute...
I was referring to that article on Russian troops in Ukraine where you asked me if I still consider The Guardian to be a reputable source. Articles that state facts are perfectly fine, like the ones about the mobilisation in Ukraine I posted above.

And I would like to actually disagree with you on the biggest threat to Russia's economy - I believe it's the Russian economy itself, which was so mismanaged for the last three or so years as to become completely dependent on foreign currency loans for its growth. The biggest effect of the sanctions was to cut off the Russian companies from the Western banks, if this bond wasn't so thorough, the effects wouldn't be that great. If whatever hack we currently have as the economics minister gets his stuff together, most likely due to being told to do so by Putin, and starts a series of sweeping economic reforms, that would be actually amazing for everybody, both right now and in the near future. Which is why I say it's a good thing that Putin is becoming more radical.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:57:45 pm by Knit tie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: January 26, 2015, 09:37:05 pm »

... so when you say "giving in", you mean...?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: January 26, 2015, 09:43:41 pm »

... so when you say "giving in", you mean...?
Depreciating.

Although at this point most Russians don't really give a damn, the initial hysteria has passed, we are already in "confrontation mode."

Breaking news that everybody knew already: NATO members apparently sell arms to Ukraine. Although that picture does raise questions of why would they transport these rather old tanks by a very expensive transport airplane, of all things? A corruption scheme? Or a fake? At least this Hungarian tank shipment/mutual fund misappropriation scheme looks much more plausible, and do check the links - they are official.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:06:23 am by Knit tie »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: January 27, 2015, 12:09:14 am »

Well yeah, everybody sells arms to everybody, including to Russia. Up until later rounds of sanctions and everyone started complaining about it, France was even selling Russia an entire warship. That doesn't mean they were anti-NATO. Business is business, and there aren't many businesses larger and more entrenched than the military-industrial complex.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:52 am »

Might have just been the easiest or the most direct way that they had available, and had the money to use the expensive transport plane. The US regularily uses big transport planes like that, although over much longer distances, usually over oceans for one.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: January 27, 2015, 12:14:42 am »

Well yeah, everybody sells arms to everybody, including to Russia. Up until later rounds of sanctions and everyone started complaining about it, France was even selling Russia an entire warship. That doesn't mean they were anti-NATO. Business is business, and there aren't many businesses larger and more entrenched than the military-industrial complex.
True. It's just that I am amazed at how corrupt all these deals are. I mean, those Hungarian tanks - the investigation concluded that they were actually sold for about 10% of their market price, the rest was shared between Kyiv and Budapesht. And don't even get me started on those Mistrals, there was a shitstorm in Russia when it became clear how much money Serdyukov stole back then.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: January 27, 2015, 12:17:19 am »

I don't think theres a whole lot of regulation on the sales of arms anyway. AFAIK Aside from treaties, but who usually follow those? lol.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:35 am »

True. It's just that I am amazed at how corrupt all these deals are. I mean, those Hungarian tanks - the investigation concluded that they were actually sold for about 10% of their market price, the rest was shared between Kyiv and Budapesht. And don't even get me started on those Mistrals, there was a shitstorm in Russia when it became clear how much money Serdyukov stole back then.
Heh, Germany sold Greece a shit-ton of armaments, including submarines, while the crisis was in full swing and Greece on the brink of insolvency.
The Bay12 postcard club

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52:58 am »

Breaking news that everybody knew already: NATO members apparently sell arms to Ukraine.
Yeah, Sure. They would use huge aircraft to transport tanks from Czech republic to Ukraine :D. That reminds few months old "news" about Polish tanks unloaded at Black Sea port Odessa :D

I bet Ukraine is providing service of transporting Czech tanks somewhere. Most likely to some African country
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 220