Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257962 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2475 on: January 20, 2015, 10:08:33 am »

What even are they talking about with 'cyborgs' over there? None of the stuff is in english, so I have no idea what you guys mean by that since its in quotation marks, or rather I have no idea what the actual wording is.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:26 am »

It's a nickname given to the Ukrainians defenders of Donetsk airport.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: January 20, 2015, 10:10:52 am »

The 'cyborgs' are the Ukrainian name for defenders of airport, chosen for their resilience against the attacking hordes of Russian spetznaz and armored militia.

Alternatively, they're robots sent back in time by Skynet to kill all resistance leaders.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: January 20, 2015, 11:49:52 am »

Article from The Guardian on Russian troops in Ukraine. Knit, you accept the Guardian as a credible source, don't you?
The Guardian is heavily biased against Russia and more often than not in need of salt. When I cited an article on Ukrainian neo-Nazis there, it was simply to show that even pro-Ukrainian sources admitted that. That article itself was rather lacking, in my opinion.

EDIT: The linked article appeals to emotion more than Strongbow appeals to my taste buds, believes Kyiv on every word and allocates about half of itself to telling stories about how evil Russia is. Its claims that the Russian troops (which were Spetznaz, our analogue of Navy SEALs) in August had no idea what they were doing are borderline laughable and, overall, I wouldn't trust it any more than I would trust an article of Komsomolskaya Pravda on the same topic.

EDITEDIT: It also cites very vocally anti-Putin "liberal" sources and prominent liars and fact misrepresentators Dozhd and OpenRussia, not to mention the "human rights" group "Memorial," which became famous back in the second Chechen war for its hysterically anti-Kremlin stance and its equally hysterical refusal to support any of its claims. So I'd say the lack of objectivity there is serious.

TRIPLEEDIT: Colonel Cassad keeps cassading on. And on.

MEGAEDIT: "Huh, didn't know that!" of the day: Christians joined Muslims on a public protest against terrorism and defamation of Islam in Grozny. The speech of an Orthodoxal priest was met with ovation.

And, finally, just for laughs:
Нет бога, кроме Путина, и Кадыров - пророк его!
Death to the European Kafir!
Glory to our caliph Zakharchenko!
Junudu ash-Donbass!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:16:52 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:21 pm »

Apparently several Ukrainian soldiers got lost in the mist and got captured.
They don't look very happy.

I wonder how long until the Ukrainian media will finally admit that they do not control the airport any longer and will stop sending soldiers literally into captivity.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:18:34 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: January 20, 2015, 04:01:48 pm »

Nothing to see here folks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:11:06 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: January 20, 2015, 04:09:03 pm »

Nothing to see here, either.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: January 20, 2015, 05:33:46 pm »

I can't respect you anymore if you drink strong bow. Don't you get quality polish apple cider over there?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: January 20, 2015, 05:53:24 pm »

Russian future soldier is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkMMPjSVrU
Man, I laugh when I saw this. At least they are trying  :)
Make love not war

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: January 20, 2015, 05:58:46 pm »

Apparently several Ukrainian soldiers got lost in the mist and got captured.
They don't look very happy.

I wonder how long until the Ukrainian media will finally admit that they do not control the airport any longer and will stop sending soldiers literally into captivity.

The precise amount of time it will take for Russia to admit that it's propping up the rebels with arms, training and cross-border intervention.

So sometime within the next 60 years when the documents get declassified.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: January 20, 2015, 05:59:42 pm »

I can't respect you anymore if you drink strong bow.
C'mon, cut us poor folks in the cider ignorant parts of the globe some slack - I drink Stongbow because the only alternative around here is like €2 more expensive.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: January 20, 2015, 06:00:31 pm »

Russian future soldier is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkMMPjSVrU
Man, I laugh when I saw this. At least they are trying  :)
Giant humanoid robots guarding the borders of Russia? Not as unlikely as I thought.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: January 20, 2015, 09:00:51 pm »

I can't respect you anymore if you drink strong bow. Don't you get quality polish apple cider over there?
What kind of cider should I drink, then?

EDIT: You know, I  just realised something. Isn't Jesuit in Russia right now?

EDITEDIT: Colonel sums up the day.

- Airport is firmly under rebel control, Ukrainian attempts to retake it failed, Ukrainian propaganda is actively finding excuses for this.
-Peski is mostly under rebel control, Avdeevka is being contested.
-Mariupol advance has not made any significant, well, advances, since yesterday.
-Artillery duels continue, Donbass civilians die.
-Rebel advance on the Bakhmut highway was moderately successful and led to a surge of panic in the Ukrainian social media and even the government. The recent photo of Ukrainian POWs exacerbated that.
-Russia, apparently, is losing it's faith in the existence of peaceful solution for this conflict. It has started to put pressure on Ukraine politically and economically.
-AFU still haven't committed most of their reserves to action, so any talks of them running out of anything are exagerrated and far-fetched.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:34:56 pm by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: January 21, 2015, 12:49:38 am »

@Knit Tie: The 2015-2016 academic year starts in August/September, so he probably won't be in Russia until this summer.

I'm sure he would tell us when he was heading over to St. Petersburg anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 220