Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257924 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2400 on: January 19, 2015, 07:46:32 am »

If we're still on the topic of what would've happened if Germany had won WWI, I remembered a map from The Coming of the Third Reich that illustrates it well. It's actually relevant to a Russia thread IMO, since Germany was most interested in expansion in the east.

If you can't read the text, the black area was planned to be annexed, Poland and Belgium made tributary states, Estonia/Lithuania made a dependency, Ukraine made into what Ukraine was to Russia until recently, Romania, Finland, and the Caucases made allies against Russia, and Crimea resettled by Germans (odd how that keeps happening). There's also a chunk of northern France about the size of Belgium and further slivers past the Rhine demanded by the Pan-German League.

This is of course the ideal in the case of total victory, but with the eastern front collapsing as it did it really wasn't that far fetched. It's an interesting map, given how things turned out.

On a different note, drunk mainiac mentioned that the stable world we have wouldn't be possible if Germany had won, but I don't agree. Germany was as much an imperialist warmonger as all the other European powers, destined for a trainwreck as technology made war between delusional autocrats increasingly destructive, but I don't think Germany winning would've been as different as mainiac thinks. It still took WWII and total US/Soviet dominance to kill autocracy and imperialism in Europe, and that dominance was only possible because the war was so devastating. If WWII had been delayed 10 years, I don't even think that would make a difference in the technology, since there was so little advancement between the end of WWI and the start of WWII anyway. And even if it had, if nukes were available, would that really have been any different than the firebombing of cities that the US and Britain took part in anyway? We still killed millions of civilians, depopulated and leveled every major city in Germany and Japan with those "firecrackers", and yet something even more devastating would've left imperialism stronger after the war?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:48:47 am by UrbanGiraffe »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: January 19, 2015, 08:09:10 am »

Sheb, Rationalising Nationalist: This warrior hides his burning passion for his country and EU in general behind a mask of flimsy reason, thus allowing him not only to utilise the moral high ground, but also to accuse his opponents of being propaganda shills. He still, occasionally, shows his true colours with rants about how he's going to defend his belover EU from evil Putin.

I like to think my reasons aren't flimsy, but otherwise it's pretty accurate I guess. I'm only annoyed at Helgo: I really couldn't find a good bad thing to say about him in the context of this thread.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: January 19, 2015, 08:49:33 am »

I'm only annoyed at Helgo: I really couldn't find a good bad thing to say about him in the context of this thread.
Yeah, I'm awesome :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: January 19, 2015, 09:22:19 am »

Some "pro-Russian" news to get back to topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMlj4Aa_ms

Ignore that interesting way to hold a machine gun. Several sources seem to claim that video to be another proof of Russian soldiers in Eastern Ukraine. Apparently the badges/insignia worn by 1 or 2(cant say for sure as the video is blurry, but the man at the back could also wear one) men are of the Russian Marines'. I'm not convinced. Its common practice everywhere to strip everything from the uniforms, and since every man in that place knows there are cameras around and they may get captured(or have bodies end up in enemy hands), wearing clothing that would give out their unit, origin etc. just wouldn't be too smart. Probably uniforms like that complete with the Marine badge can be bought from a local outdoors equipment store too, just like the ones that have western camo patterns and flags.

On the other hand, it looks like all 3 separatist fighters have a similar uniform, and the man with the PKM carries a sidearm. Interesting.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: January 19, 2015, 09:56:21 am »

Some "pro-Russian" news to get back to topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMlj4Aa_ms

Ignore that interesting way to hold a machine gun. Several sources seem to claim that video to be another proof of Russian soldiers in Eastern Ukraine. Apparently the badges/insignia worn by 1 or 2(cant say for sure as the video is blurry, but the man at the back could also wear one) men are of the Russian Marines'. I'm not convinced. Its common practice everywhere to strip everything from the uniforms, and since every man in that place knows there are cameras around and they may get captured(or have bodies end up in enemy hands), wearing clothing that would give out their unit, origin etc. just wouldn't be too smart. Probably uniforms like that complete with the Marine badge can be bought from a local outdoors equipment store too, just like the ones that have western camo patterns and flags.

On the other hand, it looks like all 3 separatist fighters have a similar uniform, and the man with the PKM carries a sidearm. Interesting.

That badge looks like the unofficial badge of the Russian Naval Infantry. It can be bought in various stores on the internet, like this one or this one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, if the soldiers in the recording are genuine Russian Naval Infantrymen, why do they fight in Donetsk and not somewhere closer to the sea, like Mariupol?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: January 19, 2015, 09:57:49 am »

There's a bunch of Russian military uniforms for sale in the corner of my local thrift store. In Edinburgh. Just saying'.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: January 19, 2015, 10:02:46 am »

Awaking from my endless lurking slumber, I just found a quite interesting report about the bus shelling incident:
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2015/01/18/unpicking-the-donetsk-peoples-republics-tangled-volnovakha-bus-massacre-narrative/

EDIT:
And this security cam video of the shelling itself:
http://uatoday.tv/politics/russian-tv-accused-of-faking-bus-attack-survivor-interview-403256.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:05:08 am by Fredson »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: January 19, 2015, 10:07:11 am »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:24 am »

You can even buy Novorossiyan badges and chevrons in some places on the Internet.

Now I want to see someone in the US flying the Novorossiyan flag. It would be pretty edgy.

Why? Most people will not know what its about anyway. They will maybe think its a flag of one of the states :).
Make love not war

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: January 19, 2015, 10:15:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or the flag of States' Rights™.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: January 19, 2015, 10:16:33 am »

Well, I did the mistake of reading Mainiac adorable drunken rants this morning, and so instead of focusing on the inner working of differential centrifugation for my exam, my mind produced this:
I'm literally dying from laughter right now. 8/8 g8 b8 m8 ;D
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: January 19, 2015, 10:25:32 am »

Ahah, I think I'll buy some of those novorussian badge for my dad, he'll hate them. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: January 19, 2015, 10:29:54 am »

And why does their support gunner look unsure of how to handle his PKM?

Also, according to Reuters, the Ukrainian army has made significant gains since Saturday. This article in particular claims that they've retaken most of the airport. Ukrainian army sources claim 3 soldiers have been killed and 66 wounded, while an (unnamed) rebel officer claims 8 rebels killed and 33 wounded in yesterday's skirmishes. Itar-Tass just reports that rebels have given government horses 24 hours to vacate the premises, and accuse them of using chemical weapons rather than contradicting the claim. Nothing from Cassad (at least from this page that translates him to English) or other more direct rebel sources yet that I can see.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: January 19, 2015, 11:18:57 am »

English Cassad has long since stopped updating, unfortunately.

Actual Cassad claims that while the AFU are indeed attacking the Donetsk Airport, they have made no land gains whatsoever, as evidenced by their complete lack of photos and videos showing the AFU soldiers in the airport, as opposed to all the videos the rebels have shot. He also claims that the rebels are fighting to take Avdeevka and Peski, although there are no significant successes at either of those towns and all the claims to the contrary are just baloney. Overall, Cassad states that no significant advances have been made since yesterday by either side.

@Fredson: Looks like everybody's lying, at least partially.

EDIT: Cassad also says that both sides are yet to commit their reserves to action, so there is a great amount of uncertainty right now as well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:26:19 am by Knit tie »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 220