Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258516 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1995 on: January 13, 2015, 05:07:12 am »

Actually, I've watched the 12 chairs yesterday. It's exactly something Bender would do.

... The hell? I watched 12 chairs yesterday.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: January 13, 2015, 05:08:43 am »

Knit Tie
Don't use terms that you don't understand, please. That makes you look like an idiot.

There are zero argumentum ad Hitlerem in my post
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: January 13, 2015, 05:10:38 am »

Actually, I've watched the 12 chairs yesterday. It's exactly something Bender would do.

... The hell? I watched 12 chairs yesterday.

Which version? I watched the 1972 Soviet one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which dont yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: January 13, 2015, 05:13:13 am »

Does anyone ever watch any of the others? They're awful, especially the American one.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 13, 2015, 05:38:59 am »

Honestly, I simply don't see the situation changing any time soon. Slapping sanctions on state we dislike for very long period of time is something the West is good at: just witness the embargo on Cuba, or the sanctions in Iran. Ignoring civil war for question of principle is also something we're good at: witness the refusal to back Assad in Syria, despite the fact that he's probably the world's best shot at ending the civil war.

Cuba is a pretty tiny market in comparison to Russia, it's hardly the same situation. The US can keep an embargo up on Cuba pretty much indefinitely without harming it's own economy much.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: January 13, 2015, 05:42:20 am »

Again: Russia has an economy the size of Italy's. We can afford to cut them out and force them to sell themselves to China for next to nothing.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: January 13, 2015, 05:43:27 am »

why don't we cut italy out then

they're the worst ally

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: January 13, 2015, 05:48:53 am »

Eh, they make good pasta, and keep the refugees away from the rest of us.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2003 on: January 13, 2015, 05:52:13 am »

Knit Tie
Don't use terms that you don't understand, please. That makes you look like an idiot.

There are zero argumentum ad Hitlerem in my post

It's pretty close. You compared Putin to Hitler, and I'm afraid that based on your history I think it's most likely you did it almost entirely to try to irritate Knit, Sergarr, and the rest of the Russians.

If nothing else, comparing Putin to Hitler doesn't seem entirely accurate. I haven't heard of Putin preaching the utter annihilation of minorities. Oppression, yes, but so far nothing more. Subject to change, naturally. If Putin starts saying that homosexual people, trans people, and so on must be killed, I'll agree with you. Also if Russia shows signs of becoming a fascist state, which I don't think it has.

...why am I in this argument...?

* Arx sneaks out the back.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: January 13, 2015, 07:02:01 am »

The funny thing about minorities in Russia is that while our lifestyle (LGBT, etc.) minorities are indeed having a fairly hard time, our national minorities are pretty much having money thrown at them, and I am not talking just about Chechnya, Tatarstan, for example, is also one of the main targets for Russian social spending. The consensus seems to be that it's a counterseparatism measure that was implemented by our favorite alcoholic Yeltsin and that nobody in the government bothered to change since then, even though the populace of everything except Chechnya and Dagestan in Russia is Russian enough in language and culture for ethnic tensions between various peoples to be negligible.

@UR: It's not the form, it's the spirit that matters.

@Arx: Thank you.

@Sheb: Soviet cinema is best cinema. Especially when compared to the abyssal horror that is the contemporary Russian cinema viewer scamming business.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:13:44 am by Knit tie »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: January 13, 2015, 07:39:39 am »

I wonder what will happen when Putin dies or leaves office. Will whoever succeeds him keep throwing money at Chechnya amd Dagestan and the North Caucasus or will they stop it to cope with the economic depression Russia will be gripped with by then?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: January 13, 2015, 07:47:58 am »

I don't think Putin's going to leave office until long after the current crisis has passed.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: January 13, 2015, 07:50:41 am »

Yeah, and he's only 64, so he can easily live 20 more years.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which dont yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: January 13, 2015, 07:51:34 am »

I don't think Putin's going to leave office until long after the current crisis has passed.

But how long do you think the crisis will last?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: January 13, 2015, 07:59:16 am »

Not being an economist myself, I have to trust my successful businessman dad on this, and he says 2 years, maybe 4 in the absolute worst case scenario.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:03:04 pm by Knit tie »
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 220