Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258454 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1680 on: January 09, 2015, 08:36:39 am »

Seriously, why is Russia so hated for its infringement of LGBT rights when it doesn't even ban homosexualism, unlike several of the United fucking States of freedom-shitting America?

Oh yeah, Washington propaganda.

EDIT: This was a joke. Just so you know.
It still sounds too flamy to me.
However, as I see it, the reason why the so-called "criticism" toward Russia is so scathing and full of hatred is this - the dislike of the infringement of LGBT people (actual or made-up - it doesn't matter) is combined with the endemic dislike of Russian culture, mentality and way of life present in the West, which is caused by vast contradictions between Russian and Western mentalities and ways of life. These two factors combine and drive the anti-Russian sentiment high. It's a little bit like mechanical resonance.
Not even Saudi Arabia is disliked as much as Russia in regards to LGBT issues.

Besides if you scroll down to the American politics thread, progressive thread, ISIS thread etc. you can read plenty of criticism of the US. Were as we only have 1 or 2 threads for heaping shit on Russia
Yeah, however, discussions of the same issue that happened in the USA and Russia are fundamentally different.
Compare the American thread, which is relatively civil and was hardly ever locked with numerous Russia-related threads, full of flaming, shit-flinging, and extremism. In the American thread, the discussion is going on between generally similar people - Americans and Europeans. In Russian threads, Americans and Europeans are put against Russians, who has a different world-view and mentality. Such a discussion becomes a burning mess really, really quickly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:38:17 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 09, 2015, 08:38:16 am »

Hehe, you just implied that Russians aren't Europeans :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 09, 2015, 08:38:37 am »

Sounds more like an Ukranian joke (I thought a Russian joke would have a Russian rather than an Ukranian in it, but that's just me*), but yeah it's funny with the watermelon.

*It would probably still work if you put Russian in the joke, or anybody maybe.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:29 am »

Seriously, why is Russia so hated for its infringement of LGBT rights when it doesn't even ban homosexualism, unlike several of the United fucking States of freedom-shitting America?

Oh yeah, Washington propaganda.

EDIT: This was a joke. Just so you know.
It still sounds too flamy to me.
However, as I see it, the reason why the so-called "criticism" toward Russia is so scathing and full of hatred is this - the dislike of the infringement of LGBT people (actual or made-up - it doesn't matter) is combined with the endemic dislike of Russian culture, mentality and way of life present in the West, which is caused by vast contradictions between Russian and Western mentalities and ways of life. These two factors combine and drive the anti-Russian sentiment high. It's a little bit like mechanical resonance.

Besides if you scroll down to the American politics thread, progressive thread, ISIS thread etc. you can read plenty of criticism of the US. Were as we only have 1 or 2 threads for heaping shit on Russia
Yeah, however, discussions of the same issue that happened in the USA and Russia are fundamentally different.
Compare the American thread, which is relatively civil and was hardly ever locked with numerous Russia threads, full of flaming, shit-flinging, and extremism. In the American thread, the discussion is going on between generally similar people - Americans and Europeans. In Russian threads, Americans and Europeans are put against Russians, who has a different world-view and mentality. Such a discussion becomes a burning mess really, really quickly.
I think the main difference comes from the fact that the only people here who care about Russia enough to discuss it are opinionated fanatics, on both sides. No, seriously.

Anyway, we are starting to go meta here. Maybe we should get back on tracks?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:41:46 am by Knit tie »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 09, 2015, 08:43:26 am »

To be fair, when it comes to mentality and world-view, Russians are distinct from Europeans. It even causes trouble inside Russia: many European-minded Russian liberals can't stand other Russians, and vice versa.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 09, 2015, 08:45:42 am »

To be fair, when it comes to mentality and world-view, Russians are distinct from Europeans. It even causes trouble inside Russia: many European-minded Russian liberals can't stand other Russians, and vice versa.

Sort of like the eternal question, 'is Russia Asian or European?'

Personally, I think they're European, but since Russia covers both continents, why not both? Euroasian.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:58:35 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 09, 2015, 09:35:53 am »

Well, seen from my eyes, the difference is that if tell an American in the US thread the US sucks because of AAA, their reaction will be "You're right. And that's nothing, we sucks even more because of BBB". If you tell a Russian here Russia sucks because of AAA, you'll get a "But *random country* is even worse! Why do you hate Russia so much?!".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 09, 2015, 09:43:40 am »

Well, seen from my eyes, the difference is that if tell an American in the US thread the US sucks because of AAA, their reaction will be "You're right. And that's nothing, we sucks even more because of BBB". If you tell a Russian here Russia sucks because of AAA, you'll get a "But *random country* is even worse! Why do you hate Russia so much?!".

So, from your perspective, we (the US) aren't afraid to admit our faults, while Russia is afraid to admit their faults? Not saying that's neccesarily 100% true, just checking the perspective.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:45:25 am by smjjames »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1688 on: January 09, 2015, 09:52:59 am »

Anyway, how about an old Russian joke to help lighten up the mood?
Spoiler: joke (click to show/hide)
... I find it really intriguing I know an almost exactly the same joke only instead of African you have Czech and instead of Ukrainian you have someone from Balkans.

Carry on now.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:40 am »

So, from your perspective, we (the US) aren't afraid to admit our faults, while Russia is afraid to admit their faults? Not saying that's neccesarily 100% true, just checking the perspective.
I would even go farther and say that talking about faults [in the us] is seen as intellectually patriotic; while downplaying and pretending they don't exist is seen along the lines of the whole "murica" meme. Which is to say, if not done ironically or as a joke, you are seen as an uneducated redneck lacking proper perspective.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 09, 2015, 11:01:27 am »

Hm, not trying to flamebait, just wondering out of curiosity, is there anything that Russia is the absolute worst at? Like so bad at something that there's no using the 'but country X is worse than us!' excuse.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: January 09, 2015, 11:54:31 am »

Hm, not trying to flamebait, just wondering out of curiosity, is there anything that Russia is the absolute worst at? Like so bad at something that there's no using the 'but country X is worse than us!' excuse.
Russia is the worst at surrendering :P
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 09, 2015, 12:04:19 pm »

Russia is the worst at surrendering :P

No that's the French, surrender monkey joke and all that.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 09, 2015, 12:04:38 pm »

In all seriousness, Putin, if we judge by the official laws he passed, is much more tolerant towards LGBT people than the majority of Russia's population, as there are no legal reprecussions whatsoever for homo/trans/whateversexuality in Russia, even the infamous "gay propaganda law" has nothing to do with actual LGBT people. Most of the conservatism comes from the people themselves.
Well... Not getting to drive a car is a repercussion I'd say.

That's because there isn't much hope in that regard for Muslim countries. From Russia, people expect better, so it still makes sense to be outraged. Russia and parts of Eastern Europe may be different from the rest of Europe (which isn't all that homogenous either), but not as different as China or the Muslim world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 09, 2015, 12:13:51 pm »

In all seriousness, Putin, if we judge by the official laws he passed, is much more tolerant towards LGBT people than the majority of Russia's population, as there are no legal reprecussions whatsoever for homo/trans/whateversexuality in Russia, even the infamous "gay propaganda law" has nothing to do with actual LGBT people. Most of the conservatism comes from the people themselves.
Well... Not getting to drive a car is a repercussion I'd say.

I wonder if they have done any actual studies on the causes of traffic accidents? I'm wondering what would lead them to believe that 'sex disorders' are the cause here. I doubt people with 'sex disorders' cause more accidents in Russia than they do here in the US, or elsewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 220