Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258367 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1605 on: January 06, 2015, 07:26:30 am »

Yeah, I hope Merkel will have the guts to stick to her principle, and not lift the sanctions until the Crimea problem is resolved.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 06, 2015, 07:31:06 am »

Yeah, I hope Merkel will have the guts to stick to her principle, and not lift the sanctions until the Crimea problem is resolved.
I hope the precisely opposite thing will happen.

After all, it is always possible to organise another referendum in Crimea, with as many foreign observers and rules as the EU may want and see once again that Crimeans want to be united with Russia.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 06, 2015, 07:35:28 am »

Well, a genuine referendum, with a cooldown period once there is a ceasefire in Donbass would be a solution. Honestly, if Crimean want to join Russia, go independent or decide to abolish all state and become on giant mass of cocaine, hookers and blackjack, I don't care. It's just about not letting the precedent that you can just seize part of your neighbor stand.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 06, 2015, 07:43:48 am »

Once again, I say that this was not a seizure but rather a reunification, and the referendum was most likely genuine and representative of the desires of the populace. Also, the Washington couldn't care less about any precedents of anything, it just wants Russia to kneel and yield.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 06, 2015, 07:50:47 am »

Yeah, the referendum that didn't include "statu quo" as an option and got 96% of yes was totally genuine. Nothing to see here.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:04 am »

Yeah, the referendum that didn't include "statu quo" as an option and got 96% of yes was totally genuine. Nothing to see here.
The poll to which I've provided a link confirms that the absolute majority of Crimeans wanted to join Russia. And who cares about status quo? The other option was a return to the Crimean constitution of the 90s, before the Kyiv forcibly disbanded the Crimean parliament, and it was also a very good thing for many Crimeans.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 06, 2015, 07:56:06 am »

Although the pew poll is an actual thing, the site you linked seems to be incredibly biased against America and Ukraine.

It might have been better if you had linked to the original pew poll article instead, that is probably more neutral and will get people to take your point more seriously.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:05:28 am by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 06, 2015, 07:59:25 am »

Ok, so let me be clear.

For you, a referendum with obviously phony results, happening under military occupation, with an entirely one-sided pre-polling campaign and a massive propaganda blitz, is worth anything?

Again, the point is not whether the Crimean wants or not to join. I'm all in favor of the inhabitants of Crimea having self-determination, even if it means joining Russia. But this was a farce, a power-grab that didn't follow any rule.

I'm wondering, is there even a Russian word for "rule of law"?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 06, 2015, 08:03:26 am »

No.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 06, 2015, 08:13:41 am »

Ah, I simply love the idea that 'Saudi Arabia is going to raise oil prices in February' [taking the actual context completely out], so that's a good thing for Russia. That's absolutely intriguing.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 06, 2015, 08:16:42 am »

Well, if it was true, it would be a good news for Russia. Knit Tie's source was just partial.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:19:28 am by Sheb »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 06, 2015, 08:23:09 am »

Well, it's not really, but yeah. The price of oil is currently 48.90$. Saudi Arabia getting price increases isn't a good thing for Russia. Now they get to compete for lower prices if they even have access to those markets. So, no, that's not how that works.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 06, 2015, 08:49:57 am »

Although the pew poll is an actual thing, the site you linked seems to be incredibly biased against America and Ukraine.

It might have been better if you had linked to the original pew poll article instead, that is probably more neutral and will get people to take your point more seriously.
Sure thing, my bad. The original article should be rather impartial.

-snip-
Do you have any actual evidence of the results being somehow phony? Pretty much everyone in Crimea who isn't a Tatar wanted to join Russia, and the Tatars decided to not vote at all.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:58:43 am by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 06, 2015, 08:52:37 am »

No.

Maybe they just use the Latinized/Greekitized word?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 06, 2015, 08:56:02 am »

Knit Tie, I just want to clarify, do you at least understand, if not agree, with why people have a problem with how the Crimean referendum was conducted? I.E. the quickness (you saw how long the Scottish referendum was, between when it was declared that it will happen and when it actually happened) the military presence, the absence of UN/EU/third-party observers, the absurd Soviet-style approval rate, the absence of a neutral option?

Again, do you at least understand that? Whether it's that you know why people would have a problem with those, or perhaps why people could see those elements in the Crimean referendum? Even if you don't agree that they are a problem/were present?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 220