Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257987 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1365 on: December 29, 2014, 02:42:50 pm »

Anarchy?

Or you know, full communism might work as well.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: December 29, 2014, 02:45:04 pm »

If there was any chance of Russia getting a just, democratic, liberal and honest leader, all of which our current president is not, that would be amazing, but since the only choices we have are A) only somewhat corrupt, competent, benevolently autoritarian Putin and B) his oligarch opponents, all of whom are thoroughly corrupt and not the least bit competent or benevolent, Putin remains the best choice due to being the lesser of the two evils.

Russians, you should consider living without the leader.
It is  hard but it is worth trying. Try to take responsibility for the fate of your country in your hands instead of looking for yet another benevolent Tsar who will do your work.

There now, you see, this kind of difference in perspective is why Ukrainians actually succeeded in implementing end-state Communism in the space of a few years under Nestor Makhno while the Russians completely failed; suffering under dictator after dictator.

If I was ever asked what the difference is between the stereotypical national characters of Ukrainians and Russians, I'd say Ukrainians have the ability to imagine themselves as their own masters. Russians seem incapable of doing this.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 29, 2014, 02:50:40 pm »

You know what? I just understood I stepped into "How should we set things up in Russia" zone. I'm outta that zone, effective immediately. Back to news.

Government drops price of vodka
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 29, 2014, 03:06:21 pm »

Why, are you afraid to get sent to Siberia if you stay in that zone? :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:57 pm »

well if he gets sent to siberia at least vodka would still be cheaper

so that's a plus

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:24:52 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: December 29, 2014, 03:25:48 pm »

Still funny, given how Americans loves to talks about how they should improve their system. Cultural difference once again?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: December 29, 2014, 03:39:06 pm »

Cultural difference most likely.  People(as in a whole group) are not going to just suddenly start to think differently. 
It takes a long term approach of focused 'education' / repeated propaganda to make a dent... and you will still have hold-outs that will stubbornly stick to the 'old ways'.

Some 'catastrophic' events will of course quicken such a change based on perceived necessity/motivation though.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: December 29, 2014, 03:52:00 pm »

Still funny, given how Americans loves to talks about how they should improve their system. Cultural difference once again?
It is assumed that the majority of people who post lengthy detailed proclamations about how Russia should be ruled know absolutely nothing about politics, economics, history and other social sciences.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:54:15 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: December 29, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »

You know, Owlbread, I think you might actually be an upper-class noble twat. After all, it's people like these that have first popularised the idea of "Russians are slaves and cattle."

And Makno's organisation was not "end-state communism" in the slightest, it was an ordinary national resistance movement.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: December 29, 2014, 04:00:49 pm »

Not really, Makhno's movement was really interesting in all kind of way. Of course, it didn't last enough to get terrible.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: December 29, 2014, 04:02:51 pm »

Being stupid never stopped the american from debating their system.  :P

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: December 29, 2014, 04:03:15 pm »

You know, Owlbread, I think you might actually be an upper-class noble twat. After all, it's people like these that have first popularised the idea of "Russians are slaves and cattle."
Knit tie, you are getting dangerously close to starting a flame war (again), be careful with such statements.
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: December 29, 2014, 04:12:07 pm »

I'm not saying they're cattle and slaves, I'm just saying that it seems to me (again, this is just my perception, I may be totally wrong) that on a deep, cultural level Russians don't have the same idea of personal independence that Ukrainians apparently have. Maybe it's a Cossack thing or something I don't know. That lack of personal or mental independence/freedom is what allowed upper-class noble twats to exploit Russians for so long, then so-called Communist tyrants in the era of the USSR and now gangsters.

Even when Russians tried to change the order and tried to stop the exploitation, the need for hierarchy and the dominant leader was so ingrained that every revolution changed very little about the fundamental organisation of things; only how control is exerted over people.

And Makno's organisation was not "end-state communism" in the slightest, it was an ordinary national resistance movement.

A national resistance movement that somehow achieved something that looked an awful lot like "Communism". I think from what I can tell they achieved even more than the Anarchists in the Spanish Civil War.

Knit tie, you are getting dangerously close to starting a flame war (again), be careful with such statements.

You don't have to worry about me Guardian, water off a duck's back and all that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:17:05 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: December 29, 2014, 04:21:56 pm »

And that guy complains about flame wars...

There now, you see, this kind of difference in perspective is why Ukrainians actually succeeded in implementing end-state Communism in the space of a few years under Nestor Makhno while the Russians completely failed; suffering under dictator after dictator.

If I was ever asked what the difference is between the stereotypical national characters of Ukrainians and Russians, I'd say Ukrainians have the ability to imagine themselves as their own masters. Russians seem incapable of doing this.
I think Ukrainian national character is little too anarchic that backfired many times.

BTW, We have "we shall rule in our country" words in our anthem, something one can't imagine in Russian anthem.

In fact Russian anthem has a very telling text
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is all about being proud of Russia. It has no goals to strive for. That text  can be shortened to  - "We are ideal already, no need to do anything. Be proud!"

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 220