Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257907 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1305 on: December 28, 2014, 01:23:39 pm »

Many Russians also think that Putin's Russia really could use more oppression and death directed onto thieves of national wealth, i.e. almost all oligarchs and most government officials.
Only mass executions can save the Motherland, comrade!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:25:36 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 28, 2014, 01:36:49 pm »

There's not that many of these people for it to be labeled "mass".

Also, I don't think that executions of any kind will ultimately change the system. You need to remove the very foundation of power for these people in order to make a true revolution.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:42:14 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 28, 2014, 01:46:15 pm »

Many Russians also think that Putin's Russia really could use more oppression and death directed onto thieves of national wealth, i.e. almost all oligarchs and most government officials.
Only mass executions can save the Motherland, comrade!
Had you said 'mass killings' and quoted the entire post, that could've been a fusion joke D:
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 28, 2014, 01:46:59 pm »

There's not that many of these people for it to be labeled "mass".
Joke.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 28, 2014, 01:48:24 pm »

Ya I know it's a joke...
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 28, 2014, 02:53:41 pm »

Ya I know it's a joke...
Well you've replied to it in a completely straight way, so...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 28, 2014, 03:09:21 pm »

My bad, I should've added a smiley back there  :-\
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 28, 2014, 05:16:56 pm »

It's sad how people talk about change but dont even consider that it might come from the ballot box.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 28, 2014, 05:22:04 pm »

It's sad how people talk about change but dont even consider that it might come from the ballot box.

Wrong country, buddy.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 28, 2014, 05:28:33 pm »

Yeah, that.

There's a considerable lack of alternative political force in Russia that doesn't suck major donkey balls.
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 28, 2014, 05:43:10 pm »

You know, that is the thing that bugs me about democracy.

IF we assume the following:
1) There is no Ultimate Problem Solving Party;
2) Each party has a set of problems it can deal with, list of problems it doesn't care about and a list of problems it creates while in power;

The democracy only allows to change the set of current problems, giving an illusion of power to people while actually keeping it to those who people delegated it.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 28, 2014, 05:49:36 pm »

Russia's foray into liberal democracy in the 1990s shows the ballot box alone can't improve anything - no matter how low and single-digit Yeltsin's approval rating was and how many Communist MPs were elected into parliament, it didn't change a damn thing and didn't solve any of Russia's problems.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 28, 2014, 05:51:30 pm »

2) Each party has a set of problems it can deal with, list of problems it doesn't care about and a list of problems it creates while in power;

The democracy only allows to change the set of current problems, giving an illusion of power to people while actually keeping it to those who people delegated it.
Point 2 isn't valid, as parties are made up of individuals with different skills and focuses, and "problem solving" as a set isn't well defined. Further, the statement can be made more readily about autocracy, as the permanence of a singular political order means that specific problems that are not seen as problems by the regime or outside context issues will both go either unaddressed or be addressed badly.

Diversification of politics and non-coercion for the public to support those politics is the best way we have to ensure that our changing situations are recognized and considered rationally.
Russia's foray into liberal democracy in the 1990s shows the ballot box alone can't improve things - no matter how low and single-digit Yeltsin's approval rating was and how many Communist MPs were elected into parliament, it didn't change a damn thing and didn't solve any of Russia's problems.
Russia did something in the 90's, but liberal democracy isn't a good description of it. Oligarchic mob politics coupled with economic insolvency do not a liberal regime make.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 28, 2014, 06:01:46 pm »

Point 2 isn't valid, as parties are made up of individuals with different skills and focuses, and "problem solving" as a set isn't well defined. Further, the statement can be made more readily about autocracy, as the permanence of a singular political order means that specific problems that are not seen as problems by the regime or outside context issues will both go either unaddressed or be addressed badly.

Diversification of politics and non-coercion for the public to support those politics is the best way we have to ensure that our changing situations are recognized and considered rationally.
Russia's foray into liberal democracy in the 1990s shows the ballot box alone can't improve things - no matter how low and single-digit Yeltsin's approval rating was and how many Communist MPs were elected into parliament, it didn't change a damn thing and didn't solve any of Russia's problems.
Russia did something in the 90's, but liberal democracy isn't a good description of it. Oligarchic mob politics coupled with economic insolvency do not a liberal regime make.
No, the best way to do that is to educate people to not vote based on superficial factors, like "how funny is that person" or "how beneficial to me I find their promises", which do not correlate at all with "how well can this person rule the country".

Sadly a population voting rationally is not in the plan of modern politicians. It's much easier to keep a population which buys into funny jokes, promises and hype.

Hype is cheap and sells, well-done work is hard and doesn't sell. True in video game industry, true in politics as well.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 28, 2014, 06:04:05 pm »

No, the best way to do that is to educate people to not vote based on superficial factors, like "how funny is that person" or "how beneficial to me I find their promises", which do not correlate at all with "how well can this person rule the country".
Coercion isn't just force, this kind of beguiling would fall under it.
Sadly a population voting rationally is not in the plan of modern politicians. It's much easier to keep a population which buys into funny jokes, promises and hype.

Hype is cheap and sells, well-done work is hard and doesn't sell. True in video game industry, true in politics as well.
Very true. The struggle never really dies, I'm afraid.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 220