Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257645 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1140 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:52 am »

Racism aside (err... so to speak), Nazis only slaughtered Jews in any large numbers.
Er... Look up Generalplan Ost. The Nazis were going to clear Russia and eastern Europe of Slavs and colonize it with Germans. Just because they never were able to put it into practice... :/
They certainly tried, though. About half of Soviet casualties in war (that's more than 10 million) were civilians.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 19, 2014, 11:58:43 am »

Even pre-war, USSR's production was still higher than Germany's one.

Your statement about USSR not being the economical powerhouse until after WW2 is not very true.

USSR would have been able to defeat Germany on its own. It just would take a year or two more and a few more millions of Russian lives to do it.

Germany had allies.  At the end of 1941 the ratio of Axis to Soviet available population and economy was 2-1.  And that was a German economy that was blocked from all sea trade by the oft-overlooked British blockade.  I wouldn't just say that it was possible that the Axis would have been able to beat the Soviets alone, I'd say that it was all but overwhelmingly likely.  The Soviets were taking casualties at a worse then 1-1 rate and the Axis had more troops to sacrifice.

If the war had drawn onto 1946 the Soviets would have had to go from inducting 6 million men a year into the armed forces into inducting 1 million men.  They simply didn't have more manpower to draw.  As it was they suffered a famine in 1946.  If they had been fighting the Axis alone and the war was still going the famine would have been worse.  Germany ran out of manpower historically but they would have run out if Italy hadn't surrendered (to say nothing of other allies) and they didn't need to bother with North Africa+Normandy+3 million men on anti-aircraft and repair duties.

It would have been a long, grinding affair.  The Germans were in a horrible logistical situation that meant they couldn't achieve blitzkrieg successes.  It would have been a war of attrition.  But the Soviets despite the myth of Soviet hordes did not have infinite manpower and that manpower would have been exhausted first.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:00:27 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 19, 2014, 12:04:26 pm »

But the Soviets despite the myth of Soviet hordes did not have infinite manpower and that manpower would have been exhausted first.
That's correct - by the end of the war, two entire generations of Soviet men were dead, and most of factory workers were women and children.

Racism aside (err... so to speak), Nazis only slaughtered Jews in any large numbers.
Er... Look up Generalplan Ost. The Nazis were going to clear Russia and eastern Europe of Slavs and colonize it with Germans. Just because they never were able to put it into practice... :/
They certainly tried, though. About half of Soviet casualties in war (that's more than 10 million) were civilians.
Closer to 16-17 millions, actually, at least according to Krivosheev's very highly regarded archival work, "Losses of the Soviet Union in the wars of the XX century."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:07:41 pm by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 19, 2014, 12:05:00 pm »

Sergarr and Maniac, you guys should maybe move it to the new thread like a1s said?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 19, 2014, 12:20:45 pm »

Can't be a Herrenrasse without a Sklavenrasse.

On sanctions: The German foreign minister is starting to wobble, but his party is traditionally pro-Russian anyway. Nothing new in the West.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 19, 2014, 12:41:35 pm »

A what rasse? The only rasse I know of is wrasse, which is a type of fish.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 19, 2014, 12:44:05 pm »

A what rasse? The only rasse I know of is wrasse, which is a type of fish.

Masterrace/slaverace in German.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 19, 2014, 01:34:21 pm »

So the EU put into force new sanctions yesterday.
Crimea was visited predominantly by Russians and other CIS citizens anyway.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 19, 2014, 02:29:33 pm »

The shock waves of the Russian crisis have reached Belarus and put the country on the verge of another upsurge of inflation. People are stocking up on dollars and euros. The Belarusian government is trying to restrict the panic by enacting a 30% fee on purchase of foreign currencies. There are huge lines in electronic shops, several banks have put restrictions on withdrawing money and some even ceased offering credits.

We're apparently heading into a repeat of the crisis of 1998-99, when the Russian default and economic crisis pulled the Belarusian economy down and triggered hyperinflation. In August 1998 1 USD equalled around 50 000 BYR, at the end of 1999 1 USD equalled 900 000 BYR.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 19, 2014, 02:38:01 pm »

The shock waves of the Russian crisis have reached Belarus and put the country on the verge of another upsurge of inflation. People are stocking up on dollars and euros. The Belarusian government is trying to restrict the panic by enacting a 30% fee on purchase of foreign currencies. There are huge lines in electronic shops, several banks have put restrictions on withdrawing money and some even ceased offering credits.

We're apparently heading into a repeat of the crisis of 1998-99, when the Russian default and economic crisis pulled the Belarusian economy down and triggered hyperinflation. In August 1998 1 USD equalled around 50 000 BYR, at the end of 1999 1 USD equalled 900 000 BYR.
Estimate chances of Lukashenko going down if hyper-inflation occurs?
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 19, 2014, 02:45:35 pm »

Estimate chances of Lukashenko going down if hyper-inflation occurs?
He didn't go down in 1999. In 2011 our opposition tried to exploit the hyperinflation in order to launch an Arab Spring-style coup (the so-called "clapping revolution"), the state security forces stopped them. We have elections in late 2015, and our opposition is definitely going to make some trouble. In the worst-case scenario, they may even get inspired by Euromaidan and devastate the centre of Minsk.
We'll see how the next year goes, though I hope that our opposition will fail because I'm a totalitarian-minded Homo Soveticus Untermensch.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:47:47 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 19, 2014, 02:47:13 pm »

It was OVER 900 000!

i'll show myself out
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 19, 2014, 02:51:19 pm »

It was OVER 900 000!

i'll show myself out
It's already over 9000 - 1 USD is currently around 11000 BYR. 1 EUR is approximately around 13400 BYR.
1 CAD is around 9400 BYR.
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 19, 2014, 02:51:46 pm »

In 2011 our opposition tried to exploit the hyperinflation in order to launch an Arab Spring-style coup (the so-called "clapping revolution"), the state security forces stopped them.
No offense, but... It's odd hearing you say "state security forces", because it just sounds so ominous.
I mean, I can't think of a context where it sounds nice.
"State security forces fulfill wish of dying child"? "A school received a surprise in the shape of a state security force"? "A little girl was given a lovely flower by state security forces"?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 220