Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257662 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1050 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:55 am »

I would like to make a point clear before bowing out as we begin the finger pointing about who started what and when:

If we have to qualify every single direct criticism of Russia that we make (e.g. that it's waging a proxy war or human rights abuses or something like that) with something like "But of course Russia is not alone because America did such and such and such and such" I don't even know how we can actually hold a discussion. There's a reason why "tu quoque" is recognised as a logical fallacy - any "argument" you make against a direct criticism of Russia by saying "but what about USA" is invalid.

The fact that America does something or Britain does something doesn't formally undermine our argument in any way. It might make us seem less credible, yes, it might even suggest a lack of commitment on our part to the kind of settlement we're trying to preach regarding Russia. Nevertheless - deal with our point, don't just deflect otherwise we're not actually arguing/debating, we're just playing a silly game where rather than actually dealing with a criticism the opponent tries to get out of it by calling the accuser a hypocrite. No "engagement" with the argument has been made.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:05:49 am by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: December 18, 2014, 09:04:02 am »

Knit tie, why do you believe necessary to reaffirm your stance as divergent from my own, when your words alone are telling that?

It's not like there would be many people here who would conflate mine and yours opinions, since they have different logical structures - yours come from moralilty, mine comes from supremacy. So why do you feel required to reiterate time and time again your separatism to the point of view?
._.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: December 18, 2014, 09:05:39 am »

There's a reason why "tu quoque" is recognised as a logical fallacy - therefore any "argument" you make against a direct criticism of Russia by saying "but what about USA" is invalid.
Eh. Any argument  hat can exonerate your from war crimes is a valid one in an informal discussion. We can however leave the part where "everyone is to blame" unspoken, if we agree it is obvious to both sides.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: December 18, 2014, 09:07:29 am »

Eh. Any argument  that can exonerate your from war crimes is a valid one in an informal discussion.

I don't think that argument exonerated anyone from war crimes. Nobody has been exonerated - and the fact that the argument was completely invalid shows it's not even a real argument, it's a trick.

Remember - if an argument is "valid" that doesn't mean it's important/a useful addition to the discussion - finding an argument that could exonerate Russia or the West from war crimes would be an important/useful addition to the discussion. "Valid" means it actually "works" like an argument. If it's invalid, it doesn't logically work.

We can however leave the part where "everyone is to blame" unspoken, if we agree it is obvious to both sides.

If we could sort that it would make Russia thread discussions a lot less tiresome.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:12:00 am by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: December 18, 2014, 09:09:19 am »

There's a reason why "tu quoque" is recognised as a logical fallacy - therefore any "argument" you make against a direct criticism of Russia by saying "but what about USA" is invalid.
Eh. Any argument  hat can exonerate your from war crimes is a valid one in an informal discussion. We can however leave the part where "everyone is to blame" unspoken, if we agree it is obvious to both sides.

Sure I can accept the "everyone is to blame" part (since both sides of the conflict are complex as heck, though Russia has the largest share of the blame, IMO), but do Sergarr and Knit Tie?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: December 18, 2014, 09:11:22 am »

I would like to make a point clear before bowing out as we begin the finger pointing about who started what and when:

If we have to qualify every single direct criticism of Russia that we make (e.g. that it's waging a proxy war or human rights abuses or something like that) with something like "But of course Russia is not alone because America did such and such and such and such" I don't even know how we can actually hold a discussion. There's a reason why "tu quoque" is recognised as a logical fallacy - any "argument" you make against a direct criticism of Russia by saying "but what about USA" is invalid.

The fact that America does something or Britain does something doesn't formally undermine our argument in any way. It might make us seem less credible, yes, it might even suggest a lack of commitment on our part to the kind of settlement we're trying to preach regarding Russia. Nevertheless - deal with our point, don't just deflect otherwise we're not actually arguing/debating, we're just playing a silly game.
I try my absoute best not to use whataboutism, but sometimes it slips through and I am sorry for that. For the most part, I am basing my arguments on what the USA did in this very conflict, not sometime ago somewhere.

Knit tie, why do you believe necessary to reaffirm your stance as divergent from my own, when your words alone are telling that?

It's not like there would be many people here who would conflate mine and yours opinions, since they have different logical structures - yours come from moralilty, mine comes from supremacy. So why do you feel required to reiterate time and time again your separatism to the point of view?
Because I am afraid that my opponents might erroneously think that one pro-Russian = another pro-Russian, based on the fact that we agree on some key points.

We can however leave the part where "everyone is to blame" unspoken, if we agree it is obvious to both sides.
And that has been my intention for the last several tens of pages. Unfortunately, I have to keep clarifying constantly that my pointing out the USA/Kiyv's flaws does not translate into exonerating Russia of the same flaws.

Eh. Any argument  that can exonerate your from war crimes is a valid one in an informal discussion.

I don't think that argument exonerated anyone from war crimes. Nobody has been exonerated - and the fact that the argument was completely invalid shows it's not even a real argument, it's a trick.

If we could sort that it would make Russia thread discussions a lot less tiresome.
Yes, that would be amazing! How about we ask Fearful Jesuit to post it in the poll or something?

Sure I can accept the "everyone is to blame" part (since both sides of the conflict are complex as heck), but do Sergarr and Knit Tie?
I - absolutely. Putin could've safely avoided the entire clustefuck by not caring about Ukraine being in NATO - Estonia is in NATO, so fricking what? And it's not like we need buffer states in the XXI century, anyway.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: December 18, 2014, 09:14:39 am »

I don't think that argument exonerated anyone from war crimes.
I have to track down the necessary documents (lazy now), but basically you can get much reduced sentencing if you can show you were convinced your war crimes were quid-pro-quo with what your enemies were doing. That's a "tu quixote" argument if I ever saw one.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:53 am »

We are in a situation where "the west" and Russia are operating on completely different definitions of victory.  Russia has defined victory in terms of triumph of the will, as long as Russia refuses to cave, they have won.  The west has defined victory in terms of whether Ukraine is a democracy and whether a war happens.  It's a situation that means that negotiation wont happen because both sides can "win" without negotiating.

It's also a very convenient situation for Russian leadership.  If keeping Putin is victory and ditching Putin is defeat you'd be a fool to ditch Putin.

And that has been my intention for the last several tens of pages. Unfortunately, I have to keep clarifying constantly that my pointing out the USA/Kiyv's flaws does not translate into exonerating Russia of the same flaws.

You say that but when push comes to shove you exonerate Russia %110.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:57 am »

I have to track down the necessary documents (lazy now), but basically you can get much reduced sentencing if you can show you were convinced your war crimes were quid-pro-quo with what your enemies were doing. That's a "tu quixote" argument if I ever saw one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: December 18, 2014, 09:19:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice typo catch, lol.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: December 18, 2014, 09:29:27 am »

Hell, I think I should state my opinion on the whole "blame" issue again, just to be sure: I consider Russia to blame for instigating the whole crisis by having an issue with Ukraine being in NATO, but I also consider the USA and Kiyv to blame for enthusiastically escalating the conflict and absolutely refusing to compromise, thus causing the current political standoff and positional war.

I think the statement above formed the core of my "why I support Russia" posts, but nobody noticed it behind all the supposed Russia exoneration.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 18, 2014, 09:41:02 am »

I didn't know Ukraine was magically in NATO because Russia is invading them
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: December 18, 2014, 09:44:01 am »

I think the statement above formed the core of my "why I support Russia" posts, but nobody noticed it behind all the supposed Russia exoneration.

So you say Russia is wrong but because of "escalation" you dont blame them for what they did.

I google exonerate and I find the definition: "(especially of an official body) absolve (someone) from blame for a fault or wrongdoing, especially after due consideration of the case."

So you dont absolve Russia for blame you just for a wrongdoing.  You just... y'know...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:28 am »

So you say Russia is wrong but because of "escalation" you dont blame them for what they did.
I do blame Russia for starting this whole clusterfuck out of pure Cold War paranoia.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:07 am »

I do blame Russia for starting this whole clusterfuck out of pure Cold War paranoia.
At least they don't assault us with rainbow flags now... :-\
._.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 220