Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258351 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #465 on: November 30, 2014, 05:12:32 pm »

Posting to Russia.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 30, 2014, 05:17:54 pm »

Speaking of questionable quality articles, my dad sent me this one. What it talks about sounds vaguely plausible but the overall tone, with emotionally charged language and oft-repeated bolded exclamations, makes me think of a "UFO scientist" trying to prove that aliens exist.
Gold? Seriously? Even Putin can't be that dumb.
Aslo, that article uses bold. Never trust an article that uses bold.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 30, 2014, 05:21:12 pm »

Speaking of questionable quality articles, my dad sent me this one. What it talks about sounds vaguely plausible but the overall tone, with emotionally charged language and oft-repeated bolded exclamations, makes me think of a "UFO scientist" trying to prove that aliens exist.
I'd like to add: never trust an article that uses cursive. Or an underline. Anything different from a normal text is a reason to take it with a wagon of salt.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 30, 2014, 05:24:03 pm »

Cursive is okay, since it is occasionally used to denote quotes and suchlike. And the pretty much most reputable German newspaper (comparable to the NYT, I guess, and I actually like it even better, but it's become worse the past couple of years...) uses underlines to mark links.
Okay, refined rule: Never trust a text whose author feels compelled to highlight what's important.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 30, 2014, 06:26:29 pm »

I've posted this already, but nobody seemed to care, so I am reposting this: Russian haute couture, in the most un-ironic way possible.

Hey, not all of Russia is politics, you know!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 30, 2014, 08:09:35 pm »

I'd like to add: never trust an article that uses cursive. Or an underline. Anything different from a normal text is a reason to take it with a wagon of salt.
Basically just a typical "gold bug" type. If you start out walking in the direction of internet libertarians, then continue past them deep into wackadoodle territory, you will start coming across the gold bugs. In general, they believe the entire economy of everything everywhere is going to collapse and society will revert back to bartering with gold, or something to that effect. Then you've got industrious types who feed such paranoia and conspiracy in order to sell to these types gold at a big markup.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 30, 2014, 09:53:34 pm »

And even farther than that you'll loop around the political spectrum and find the Moldbugs.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 01, 2014, 05:53:54 am »

USD/RUB
+2.132
+4.24%

*Grabs popcorn*
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 01, 2014, 06:27:47 am »

Meanwhile, Ukraine is screwed. And about to freese.

I'm sorry, this was completely unsportsmanlike.

Anyway, can we please talk about something else than Russian economics? Here's a ballet in Mariinsky theatre.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 01, 2014, 06:38:51 am »

Oh, you see, Ukraine is under attack by much larger country (my version) or in a midst of civil war (your version)

Both doesn't mix well with good economic situation

But Russia is different. You have great leadership. I am  sure that everything that happens is a cunning Putin's plan and Russian Ruble going down is actually good for ordinary Russians
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:40:37 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 01, 2014, 09:30:07 am »

Anyway, can we please talk about something else than Russian economics? Here's a ballet in Mariinsky theatre.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/RUBUSD:CUR

Ignoring the consequences of actions doesn't make them disappear. Putin is happy that you don't want to talk about the impending unwinding of all the work he's done to build an empire for himself and his close friends.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:36:15 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 01, 2014, 09:42:09 am »

Good for Russia, then? I mean, what can be better than unwinding of the empire built by corrupted oligarchs? :P
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 01, 2014, 09:46:04 am »

Okay, fine, let's take masturbatory pleasure in each other's problems.

It find it hilarious that you talk a lot about Russian rouble devaluation, but don't want to think about Ukrainian hryvna devaluation. Russia may have economic problems, but Ukrainians will soon be begging for food on frozen streets as their economy collapses.

BTW, Mictlan, I've always wondered: where are you from?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:55 am »

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/RUBUSD:CUR

Ignoring the consequences of actions doesn't make them disappear. Putin is happy that you don't want to talk about the impending unwinding of all the work he's done to build an empire for himself and his close friends.

The sleeping bear in the first article is almost cute.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:07:44 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 01, 2014, 10:18:33 am »

Knit tie, Ukraine is in the midst of a war. No one thing they're going to do well.

Frankly, if you're thinking "Things are not so bad, there could be a war.", you suffer from a serious case of low expectations.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 220