Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258372 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #450 on: November 30, 2014, 11:54:18 am »

Russian government is composed of oligarchs, you know.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 30, 2014, 11:55:56 am »

Rosneft was privately owned by oligarchs anyway.

Owners
Russian government (69,5%), BP (19,75%)

Yeah, we know.
Different name, same oligarchial nature.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »

Rosneft was privately owned
=/=
Rosneft is 70% owned by Russia

But that's okay. I'm just saying you're wrong. It's more terrible news for the Putin cartel.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 30, 2014, 12:04:52 pm »

Rosneft was privately owned
=/=
Rosneft is 70% owned by Russia
Most of Russia is privately owned, anyway.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 30, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »

Lol. Okay then. Rosneft is privately owned because the Russian government is privately owned. Lol. Just say 'I didn't look it up before saying something totally incorrect, I apologize for trying to double down on a number that I didn't look up beforehand'
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:09:38 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 30, 2014, 12:09:18 pm »

Lol. Okay then. Rosneft is privately owned because the Russian government is privately owned. Lol.
It is. Have you heard of "Kremlin clans?"

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »

You can just admit you didn't look it up before saying Rosneft is privately owned.

Rosneft is the leader of Russia's petroleum industry and the world's largest publicly traded petroleum company.

Also I'll give you a hint; you only sell of stakes in enterprises that you think aren't going to be worth more in the future. Rosneft is one of those. That, and the Kremlin is desperate for actual cash.

Seems to be some leading indicators of things to come
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:16:05 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2014, 12:33:16 pm »

Resolution is too low to see the supposed content of the shelf, but seeing as it involves ~50 rouble items, it's not something important. Products of the middle-class.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 30, 2014, 12:43:52 pm »

I swear, every time somebody posts "let me google that for you", the post comes off so condescendingly arrogant that I half expect this guy to jump out of the monitor and smack me in the face with a glove.

But yes, I resorted to stereotypes when I said that Rosneft was owned by oligarchs. A bit of Russian self-depreciation.

As for the buckwheat crisis, while some people are indeed hoarding dollars, there's no indication whatsoever of a "food crisis" panic in Russia. One photo of a random empty shelf in a Russian shop does not really indicate otherwise, especially since buckwheat is not really a major russian food staple, unlike cabbage, bread and potatoes.

If anything, Russia's domestic food production has increased.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:03:40 pm by Knit tie »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 30, 2014, 01:01:12 pm »

Oh hey, there's Uncle Ben's on the shelf next to that one. Funny how there's certain things you can count on seeing pretty much anywhere, like those white molded plastic chairs.

Anyway here's the source article, for those concerned:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30248999
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 30, 2014, 01:04:37 pm »

Resolution is too low to see the supposed content of the shelf, but seeing as it involves ~50 rouble items, it's not something important. Products of the middle-class.

What? 1$ items are for middle class in Russia?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 30, 2014, 01:11:50 pm »

Most of the food stuff in packets that I eat cost somewhere in between 10 and 30 rubles.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 30, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »

Oh hey, there's Uncle Ben's on the shelf next to that one. Funny how there's certain things you can count on seeing pretty much anywhere, like those white molded plastic chairs.

Anyway here's the source article, for those concerned:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30248999
The article does not really strike me as especially objective, with its charged language, plain erroneous asssumption that Russians stock up mainly on buckwheat, instead of on flour, canned food and other grains, when they sense a crisis coming, presentation of random people complaining about life as solid evidence or mounting unrest and heavy implication that Russians are growing dissatisfied with Putin while to opposite is true.

Upon further research, the buckwheat craze seems to be a consequence of steeply rising prices due to poor harvest and not any crisis anticipation.

I don't really see how this argument about what class are 50 rouble food articles in Russia is related to anything.

EDIT: And nobody comments on the increasing Russia-China partnership? Or even the petrodollar withdrawal?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:54:47 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 30, 2014, 01:53:51 pm »

Ok, that article is suspicious, because tt tries to establish some sort of informal tone of conversation, and that's a good indicator for when something tries to instill a certain emotion bypassing the consciousness.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 30, 2014, 01:59:21 pm »

Speaking of questionable quality articles, my dad sent me this one. What it talks about sounds vaguely plausible but the overall tone, with emotionally charged language and oft-repeated bolded exclamations, makes me think of a "UFO scientist" trying to prove that aliens exist.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 220