Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257589 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #285 on: November 18, 2014, 05:11:02 am »

And so what if she supported them? Poro was still voted in democratically. Not just in a democratic election, but with a proper democratic ongoings around it as well. Does Putin beome an illegitimate German sleeper agent if I donate twenty Euros to his reelection campaign?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 18, 2014, 05:21:33 am »

Re: Russian R&D: the one domain I know where Russia is the world leader is phage therapy. Georgia used to be really good, but their research institutes take even more of a beating after the USSR's downfall than Russia's. The West dropped research into phage when we got antibiotics, and we're unlikely to catch up anytime soon, because our legal system is entirely unsuited for that (You can't patent phage for starter, so drug companies won't fund the development of phage cocktails).

I know that here, we have one hospital specializing in treating bad burns that cooperate closely with Russia to treat some of its patients when they get a bad case of MRSA.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 18, 2014, 07:39:46 am »

Re: Russian R&D: the one domain I know where Russia is the world leader is phage therapy. Georgia used to be really good, but their research institutes take even more of a beating after the USSR's downfall than Russia's. The West dropped research into phage when we got antibiotics, and we're unlikely to catch up anytime soon, because our legal system is entirely unsuited for that (You can't patent phage for starter, so drug companies won't fund the development of phage cocktails).

I know that here, we have one hospital specializing in treating bad burns that cooperate closely with Russia to treat some of its patients when they get a bad case of MRSA.
Official motto of phage therapy - "try and become resistant to that." Excellent stuff, but, sadly, horribly underdeveloped.

And so what if she supported them? Poro was still voted in democratically. Not just in a democratic election, but with a proper democratic ongoings around it as well. Does Putin beome an illegitimate German sleeper agent if I donate twenty Euros to his reelection campaign?
I have nothing against Poroshenko's ascent to power, regardless of what government benefits from that or the questionable machinations with dissolving the communist party, if the people chose him as their ruler than may God be with him! But in this endless back and forth between us - which I hope you are not taking personally, because I still want to be friends with you and admire you as a person - we are discussing who is behind the current crisis, but if we ignore the politics and look at the people themselves, do you think that if the people of Euromaidan were morally justified in their rebellion against Yanukovich, aren't the people of Donetsk equally morally justified in their rebellion against Ukraine's transitional government and, later, Poroshenko?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 18, 2014, 08:09:56 am »

aren't the people of Donetsk equally morally justified in their rebellion against Ukraine's transitional government and, later, Poroshenko?
Why they never went for mass protests route? Why we haven't seen any mass protest? Why they were unable to go and settle of the central square of Donetsk managing to get sporadic few thousands meetings?

I will tell you why. There were no rebellion of Donetsk people. It is Russian invasion right from the beginning + some collaborators. Strelok-Girkin is a Russian citizen. Almost all other field commanders are Russian citizens.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 18, 2014, 08:44:58 am »

aren't the people of Donetsk equally morally justified in their rebellion against Ukraine's transitional government and, later, Poroshenko?
Why they never went for mass protests route? Why we haven't seen any mass protest? Why they were unable to go and settle of the central square of Donetsk managing to get sporadic few thousands meetings?

I will tell you why. There were no rebellion of Donetsk people. It is Russian invasion right from the beginning + some collaborators. Strelok-Girkin is a Russian citizen. Almost all other field commanders are Russian citizens.
If you wish to know the opinions of the Donetsk people, I highly recommend Colonel Cassad. Otherwise, I understand your desire to see Russia as the rabid bogeyman behind everything, but I think that blaming it for the current Ukrainian civil war is as misguided as blaming the British and the Germans, and not the bolsheviks, for the Russian civil war.

By the way, what do you think about the second Maidan, i.e. the continued protests in Kiyv?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:57:27 am by Knit tie »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 18, 2014, 09:24:04 am »

If you wish to know the opinions of the Donetsk people, I highly recommend Colonel Cassad.

A Russian ultra-natioanlist who thinks the UN is covering up 90% of the deaths in Ukraine because they were perpetrated by the Ukrainian goivernment?

You say that you distrust both sides but you'd eat a turd if it had a Russian flag in it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:52 am »

If you wish to know the opinions of the Donetsk people, I highly recommend Colonel Cassad. Otherwise, I understand your desire to see Russia as the rabid bogeyman behind everything, but I think that blaming it for the current Ukrainian civil war is as misguided as blaming the British and the Germans, and not the bolsheviks, for the Russian civil war.
Colonel Cassad is actually from Sevastopol, Crimea. He works for the DNR, though.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:27:50 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 18, 2014, 09:40:26 am »

If you wish to know the opinions of the Donetsk people
I'll ask a refugee living nearby. Or chat with friends that are there and still have Internet. Or go to social media. Or thousands other sources.

but I think that blaming it for the current Ukrainian civil war
By tour logic every country invaded by Germany in WW2 had a civil war. They managed to find collaborators everywhere.
There are no civilian war in Ukraine, there are Russian-Ukrainian war with some citizens of Ukraine fighting on Russian side.

Tell me. If this is a civilian war, where is anti-government guerrilla outside of Russian controlled zone? Why we see a calm and peaceful life in Slavyansk that "rebelled" first?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 18, 2014, 10:12:34 am »

http://www.bfm.ru/news/279310

(news in Russian)

Now citizens of Russia can bear arms!
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:36 am »

Vive La Russia! Or however your battlecry goes.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 18, 2014, 10:18:09 am »

._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 18, 2014, 10:24:28 am »

But in this endless back and forth between us - which I hope you are not taking personally, because I still want to be friends with you and admire you as a person - we are discussing who is behind the current crisis, but if we ignore the politics and look at the people themselves, do you think that if the people of Euromaidan were morally justified in their rebellion against Yanukovich, aren't the people of Donetsk equally morally justified in their rebellion against Ukraine's transitional government and, later, Poroshenko?
If I took politics personally I'd be a sad man. And when I visit St. Petersburg sometime I'll make it a point of honor to buy you a beer ;)

In reply to the rest of your post: What UR said, basically. Why were there no peaceful mass protests like in Kiev? Why did they turn violent practically instantly instead of remaining peaceful for months like the Euromaidan (which took place during winter!)?
Also, please note that I was trying to refute your assertion that America instigated the coup. You... kinda dodged that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 18, 2014, 10:38:41 am »

I still wonder who payed for the Maidan. Feeding and keeping warm these amount of people requires some really large investments, it's not something that can be just spontaneously organized by common people and then kept for 5-6 months.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 18, 2014, 10:43:12 am »

If you wish to know the opinions of the Donetsk people, I highly recommend Colonel Cassad.

A Russian ultra-natioanlist who thinks the UN is covering up 90% of the deaths in Ukraine because they were perpetrated by the Ukrainian goivernment?

You say that you distrust both sides but you'd eat a turd if it had a Russian flag in it.
I would very much appreciate it if you would stop insulting me, by the way. I respect both your opinion and your viewpoint and kindly ask you to do the same.

Aside from being a communist and a USSR-nostalgist, I think Cassad is rather unbiased in his reports of the war. He roots for the DNR, sure, but he doesn't shy away from telling all the unpleasant details about it, either, from the constant refusal to cooperate, backstabbing squabbling for power and resource hoarding between the various commanders that has led to, among everything else, Strelkov's removal, to the embarassing mistakes committed by certain commanders. Stupidity and lies from all sides are revealed and mocked, and if you ignore his, again, penchant for communism, you can see that he doesn't like Russian nationalists any more than the Ukrainian ones. I personally view him as a pro-Donetsk counterpart to the pro-Kiyv Simon Ostrovsky, with whom he should be read together for the clearest picture.

If you wish to know the opinions of the Donetsk people
I'll ask a refugee living nearby. Or chat with friends that are there and still have Internet. Or go to social media. Or thousands other sources.

but I think that blaming it for the current Ukrainian civil war
By tour logic every country invaded by Germany in WW2 had a civil war. They managed to find collaborators everywhere.
There are no civilian war in Ukraine, there are Russian-Ukrainian war with some citizens of Ukraine fighting on Russian side.

Tell me. If this is a civilian war, where is anti-government guerrilla outside of Russian controlled zone? Why we see a calm and peaceful life in Slavyansk that "rebelled" first?
I believe there's been plenty of smaller civil wars against the backdrop of the German invasion on the eastern front: the OUN-UPA vs. Poles and Soviets, Armia Krajowa vs Ukrainians and Soviets, many different partisan groups who didn't like each other very much vs. each other, the "forest brothers" in the Baltic states vs. Soviets, the nationalistic gangs of Caucasus vs. Soviets and each other and so on. Both the Soviets and the Germans, not being idiots, supported the aforementioned groups when they went against the Germans and the Soviets, respectively, and fought them otherwise.

As for the Donbass, there is little resistance to Ukraine outside of the actual rebelling territories because, in my opinion, the rebellion is defined not socially, i.e. people of certain class or ethnicity rebelling, but geographically, i.e. inhabitants of certain territories rebelling, in this case, Donetsk and Lugansk. Despite the pro- and anti-Russian attitudes of the sides implying an interethnic conflict, ethnic Ukrainians and ethnic Russians are so closely related and so thoroughly intermingled in nowadays Ukraine, that it's almost impossible to differentiate between the two, and both the Ukrainian army and the rebels have people who identify as Russians and as Ukrainians in their ranks (as evident from many interviews), so that instead, the oposing sides identify as the pro-Russian people of Donetsk and Lugansk and their sympathisers and the pro-Ukrainian people of Ukraine proper and their sympathisers instead. There are diversionary groups acting in both the rebel's and Ukrainians' rear, yes, but otherwise, with this geographical division giving great incentive for individual pro-Russians and pro-Ukrainians to go to their respective side's turf as soon as possible for only there they could find like-minded individuals in any significant numbers, you'd be hard pressed to find a Donbass separatist supporter who isn't already in Donbass and a Ukrainian supporter who isn't already in Ukraine. It's a lot like American civil war, really - both camps of the same ethnicity, but defined by different political views and localised in two distinct areas, North and South.

But in this endless back and forth between us - which I hope you are not taking personally, because I still want to be friends with you and admire you as a person - we are discussing who is behind the current crisis, but if we ignore the politics and look at the people themselves, do you think that if the people of Euromaidan were morally justified in their rebellion against Yanukovich, aren't the people of Donetsk equally morally justified in their rebellion against Ukraine's transitional government and, later, Poroshenko?
If I took politics personally I'd be a sad man. And when I visit St. Petersburg sometime I'll make it a point of honor to buy you a beer ;)

In reply to the rest of your post: What UR said, basically. Why were there no peaceful mass protests like in Kiev? Why did they turn violent practically instantly instead of remaining peaceful for months like the Euromaidan (which took place during winter!)?
Also, please note that I was trying to refute your assertion that America instigated the coup. You... kinda dodged that.
Beer's on me, don't worry. We value our traditions of hospitality. Except Russian beer sucks so we should have some vodka with shashliki instead.

My guess why the protests turned so radical so fast is because the people of Donbass felt afraid and alienated by the new government, since the Euromaidan did not only feature Ukrainian far-right nationalists, but was also primarily defined by opposition to Yanukovich, who supported and was supported by the Russophonic Ukrainians throughout his reign. Add to that the enforcement of Ukrainian language in schools and in official documentation and the scandal with the alleged prohibition of Russian language (I still have no idea what the hell happened, but the Donbassians believed it was an attack on their identity), and it's possible to see why the long affiliated with Russia Donbassians would be afraid. We had a very good PM conversation with Avis-Mergulus back in the days of the old thread about this topic, I would actually like to quote some of that when I have the time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:51:59 am by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 18, 2014, 10:47:21 am »

Huh? The one time I drank Russian beer I thought it wasn't too bad... I'll bring some beer, then.

And please quote, yes! It's a shame he no longer participates in these threads.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 220