Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257418 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #225 on: November 15, 2014, 05:28:20 pm »

Trust me, Wikipedia will be far less objective. Wikipedia will, at the very least, try, which generally has the effect of making it more objective. The Russian one won't try. It'll be as objective as asking an egomaniac if they think they're important.
Your first sentence appear to use a word which completely reverses its intended meaning.

Also, I predict it will be created, but will have an interface so stupid that nobody will actually fill its contents except for payed bloggers.
Also I predict it'll get closed after a year when everybody forget about it.
Same here. Whatever its academic value, the project itself will be a horrible flop.
The Russian government also tried to make its own search engine. I haven't seen anyone who would use it every day, or at all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:30:46 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 15, 2014, 05:38:01 pm »

Trust me, Wikipedia will be far less objective. Wikipedia will, at the very least, try, which generally has the effect of making it more objective. The Russian one won't try. It'll be as objective as asking an egomaniac if they think they're important.
Your first sentence appear to use a word which completely reverses its intended meaning.

Also, I predict it will be created, but will have an interface so stupid that nobody will actually fill its contents except for payed bloggers.
Also I predict it'll get closed after a year when everybody forget about it.
Same here. Whatever its academic value, the project itself will be a horrible flop.
The Russian government also tried to make its own search engine. I haven't seen anyone who would use it every day, or at all.
I think it never went beyond the fund embezzlement stage.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 15, 2014, 05:39:00 pm »

They will have better results in getting people to rewrite the english part of the wiki (or better said add a new view) than make a new wiki.
Also interesting that wiki and what is written on it, depends heavily in what language it is done.
Make love not war

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2014, 06:07:16 pm »

They will have better results in getting people to rewrite the english part of the wiki (or better said add a new view) than make a new wiki.
Also interesting that wiki and what is written on it, depends heavily in what language it is done.
If you want some really hardcore article dissonance, you should read about the yugoslavian wars first in serbian and then in croatian and bosnian.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2014, 06:09:02 pm »

If you want some really hardcore article dissonance, you should read about the yugoslavian wars first in serbian and then in croatian and bosnian.

Would it still be dissonance if they were translated to english? Because the dissonance as you described it only works if you're able to read in those languages.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2014, 06:12:08 pm »

As well as Russian and English - their articles about the war in Yugoslavia also tend to differ.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2014, 06:14:02 pm »

As well as Russian and English - their articles about the war in Yugoslavia also tend to differ.
And don't even get me started on Chechnya and anything related to the USSR.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 15, 2014, 07:19:12 pm »

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2014, 07:20:39 pm »

Oh no, he's been photographed with a phone in his hand! Clearly he's a Bond villain!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »

On a lighter note: Achtung, Achtung! Alarm! Die Russen kommen!

Imagine this being played in a night club in West Berlin, circa 1982...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2014, 10:35:25 am »

Apple is now worth more than the entire Russian stock market.
Clearly Apple now must buy the entire Russia stock market all at once.

Then we'll have the first case of a corporation taking over a country.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2014, 10:38:15 am »

United Fruit Company did that a long time ago.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2014, 10:51:47 am »

Ok, I don't remember if it was here or on the Ukraine thread, but I know I acted like a passive-aggressive jerk toward Knit Tie and miljan. Sorry guys, I apologize.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2014, 11:28:26 am »

Ok, I don't remember if it was here or on the Ukraine thread, but I know I acted like a passive-aggressive jerk toward Knit Tie and miljan. Sorry guys, I apologize.
Don't worry, Sheb, it's no big deal. Almost everbody, including yours truly, goes passive-aggressive in political discussions.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:32:51 am by Knit tie »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 220