Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257395 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2014, 03:14:01 pm »

“Hooliganism

1. Hooliganism, that is a gross violation of the public order manifested in patent contempt of society and attended by the use of weapons or articles used as weapons shall be punishable by compulsory works for a term of 180 to 240 hours, or by corrective labour for a term of one to two years, or by deprivation of liberty for a term of up to five years.

'articles used as weapons' is going to have to be defined here, also, what do you mean 'violation of public order'.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2014, 03:15:16 pm »

That they were convicted is without question just - but the sentence they received may have been to hard, I'm not informed enough to judge that.

Here's their major offence to Russian society, proving they're a danger
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9482190/The-punk-prayer-that-landed-Pussy-Riot-in-court.html
the "song"'s last section was an obscene parody of the Christian liturgical hymn the Sanctus, substituting the word “shit” for the word “holy”.

the “punk prayer”, accompanied to riotous music and dance, was filled with expletives and profanities and used grossly scatological language.

you are not going to change your mind do you

that's it I'm done with this

The USA believers cannot read

If that's the argument, here's the major issue: the majority of people in the West, not just the US, are still wondering how this cannot be considered a disproportionate response.  Seriously, if you want desecration of religious icons, you don't really need to go much further than Piss Christ, where an artist literally submerged a crucifix in a bottle of his own urine in the name of art.  Yes, it drew public ire, from both religious and public officials.  No, however, it did not get the artist arrested.  Australia has not prosecuted anyone for blasphemy since 1919.  The UK banned a film for blasphemy in 1989 (the same year as Piss Christ, actually), but didn't arrest the people responsible, much less sentence them to two years; the last such imprisonment was in 1921.  In the United States, since you yourself bring it up?  1838.  Substituting "shit" for "holy" being worth two years of prison time?  Even a majority of Russians familiar with the case (sorry, Russian link) apparently thought it was either excessive or that it should not have been tried in criminal courts in the first place. 

EDIT: Clarified the particular Russians - the relevant question was only asked of those Russians who stated they had some familiarity with the case.
All these people did not do this literally in the church.

Do you have no laws against like, satanists arriving into churches to draw pentagrams and trying to summon demons?

Not that I'm aware of, no.

The church might be able to pull a tresspassing charge though, no idea.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2014, 03:15:59 pm »

“Hooliganism

1. Hooliganism, that is a gross violation of the public order manifested in patent contempt of society and attended by the use of weapons or articles used as weapons shall be punishable by compulsory works for a term of 180 to 240 hours, or by corrective labour for a term of one to two years, or by deprivation of liberty for a term of up to five years.

'articles used as weapons' is going to have to be defined here, also, what do you mean 'violation of public order'.
It means that somebody has violated the public order. Duh.

But more seriously, you'll have to ask a lawyer.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2014, 03:17:36 pm »

You know an argument is dumb when onlookers have no idea what the fuck people're arguing about and nobody even attempts to clarify when prompted.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2014, 03:21:39 pm »

You know an argument is on the internet onlookers have no idea what the fuck people're arguing about and nobody even attempts to clarify when prompted.

FTFY
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2014, 03:22:30 pm »

No, that's pretty much applicable to real life too.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2014, 03:35:25 pm »

http://mercouris.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/pussy-riot-2/

I keep posting this, and nobody seems to take attention ::)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2014, 03:36:47 pm »

People have, a number of times, knit tie.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 15, 2014, 03:40:07 pm »

I also said that I never pay attention to the media. I don't particularly feel like making an exception for a wordpress article that doesn't actually answer my question.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 15, 2014, 04:02:57 pm »

People have, a number of times, knit tie.
Sorry, I just thought that the article would answer the question of what exactly Pussy Riot did, but wishful thinking, I guess.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 15, 2014, 04:33:56 pm »

Cue Andrew Schlafly suing Putin for stealing his ideas.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »

Russia's making its own Wikipedia to portray itself 'objectively and accurately'

What's the betting it's gonna be a propaganda springboard?
Considering that the regular wikipedia's articles on politics are about as objective as youtube comments, I predict that the Russian propagandapedia will be on a similar level.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2014, 05:15:25 pm »

Trust me, Wikipedia will be far less objective. Wikipedia will, at the very least, try, which generally has the effect of making it more objective. The Russian one won't try. It'll be as objective as asking an egomaniac if they think they're important.
But maybe we should actually watch and see how it all turns out?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 15, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »

Trust me, Wikipedia will be far less objective. Wikipedia will, at the very least, try, which generally has the effect of making it more objective. The Russian one won't try. It'll be as objective as asking an egomaniac if they think they're important.
Your first sentence appear to use a word which completely reverses its intended meaning.

Also, I predict it will be created, but will have an interface so stupid that nobody will actually fill its contents except for payed bloggers.
Also I predict it'll get closed after a year when everybody forget about it.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 15, 2014, 05:19:45 pm »

Your first sentence appear to use a word which completely reverses its intended meaning.

Also, I predict it will be created, but will have an interface so stupid that nobody will actually fill its contents except for payed bloggers.
Also I predict it'll get closed after a year when everybody forget about it.
Same here. Whatever its academic value, the project itself will be a horrible flop.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 220