Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257410 times)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »

the "song"'s last section was an obscene parody of the Christian liturgical hymn the Sanctus, substituting the word “shit” for the word “holy”.

the “punk prayer”, accompanied to riotous music and dance, was filled with expletives and profanities and used grossly scatological language.

In totalitarian Russia you should go to jail for substituting words in a religious prayer. That's good to know. Do you also have morality laws?

Lol, trolling is nice, is it. You should look for some better examples of limiting freedom of speech in russia, but this is not one of them.
Make love not war

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2014, 01:27:22 pm »

Of course. Lol. Just laws dedicated to stopping dissent in public, nothing to see here.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2014, 01:27:52 pm »

Of course. Lol.

Yea, I know. Not hard to see.
Make love not war

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »

Of course. Lol. Just laws dedicated to stopping dissent in public, nothing to see here.
Occupy Wallstreet crackdown, nothing to see here.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2014, 01:29:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure most people opposed that too.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2014, 01:30:18 pm »

How dare we say bad thing happen in Russia!  Bad thing happen in US!

Doesn't actually prove jack or shit with regards to free speech.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2014, 01:31:09 pm »

* Darvi crams an oversized chill-pill down mainiac's throat until he croaks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2014, 01:31:34 pm »

Okay fine, deep down, we're no different from each other regarding the laws on dissent.

ALso, guys, things are getting heated in here.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.  xN

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 15, 2014, 01:34:07 pm »

https://cpj.org/2014/02/attacks-on-the-press-in-2013-russia.php

http://journalists-in-russia.org/

https://cpj.org/killed/europe/russia/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_in_Russia

Very safe and conductive to free speech, if you're a Putin supporter.

Doesn't actually prove jack or shit with regards to free speech.

It actually does. If OWS were happening in Russia at the same scale as the USA, they'd all be tried in Kangaroo courts and put into army-guarded psychiatry wards for life for speaking out against the Putin-quo.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »

Ahhh, look at that thread burn. Mainiac and Mictlantecuhtli vs Sergarr and Miljan in a deadly match of mutual enmity, mmm...

Вот тебе алаверды, my Germanic friend!
I'd rather you not call me Germanic - that word's kinda associated with some, ehm, unfortunate racial surpremacist ideology when used outside a historical context. And don't you think it's odd that you have to compare your country to a war zone to look good?
I am sorry about calling you Germanic, Helgo, I didn't realise that you still had such bad feelings about that word. I won't do it again. And regaiding the article, I believe that the main point of it is that journalists in Russia are not only safer than journalists in countries that the western community recognises as dangerous, that they are also safer than journalists in countries that are acknowledged to be liberal democracies, such as India and Georgia.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2014, 02:21:20 pm »

Watch out for Toads, guys.

Ahhh, look at that thread burn. Mainiac and Mictlantecuhtli vs Sergarr and Miljan in a deadly match of mutual enmity, mmm...

Вот тебе алаверды, my Germanic friend!
I'd rather you not call me Germanic - that word's kinda associated with some, ehm, unfortunate racial surpremacist ideology when used outside a historical context. And don't you think it's odd that you have to compare your country to a war zone to look good?
I am sorry about calling you Germanic, Helgo, I didn't realise that you still had such bad feelings about that word. I won't do it again. And regaiding the article, I believe that the main point of it is that journalists in Russia are not only safer than journalists in countries that the western community recognises as dangerous, that they are also safer than journalists in countries that are acknowledged to be liberal democracies, such as India and Georgia.

Newspaper journalists, anyway.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 15, 2014, 02:49:24 pm »

That they were convicted is without question just - but the sentence they received may have been to hard, I'm not informed enough to judge that.

Here's their major offence to Russian society, proving they're a danger
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9482190/The-punk-prayer-that-landed-Pussy-Riot-in-court.html
the "song"'s last section was an obscene parody of the Christian liturgical hymn the Sanctus, substituting the word “shit” for the word “holy”.

the “punk prayer”, accompanied to riotous music and dance, was filled with expletives and profanities and used grossly scatological language.

you are not going to change your mind do you

that's it I'm done with this

The USA believers cannot read

If that's the argument, here's the major issue: the majority of people in the West, not just the US, are still wondering how this cannot be considered a disproportionate response.  Seriously, if you want desecration of religious icons, you don't really need to go much further than Piss Christ, where an artist literally submerged a crucifix in a bottle of his own urine in the name of art.  Yes, it drew public ire, from both religious and public officials.  No, however, it did not get the artist arrested.  Australia has not prosecuted anyone for blasphemy since 1919.  The UK banned a film for blasphemy in 1989 (the same year as Piss Christ, actually), but didn't arrest the people responsible, much less sentence them to two years; the last such imprisonment was in 1921.  In the United States, since you yourself bring it up?  1838.  Substituting "shit" for "holy" being worth two years of prison time?  Even a majority of Russians familiar with the case (sorry, Russian link) apparently thought it was either excessive or that it should not have been tried in criminal courts in the first place. 

EDIT: Clarified the particular Russians - the relevant question was only asked of those Russians who stated they had some familiarity with the case. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:53:18 pm by Culise »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 15, 2014, 03:08:24 pm »

That they were convicted is without question just - but the sentence they received may have been to hard, I'm not informed enough to judge that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9482190/The-punk-prayer-that-landed-Pussy-Riot-in-court.html

If that's the argument, here's the major issue: the majority of people in the West, not just the US, are still wondering how this cannot be considered a disproportionate response.  Seriously, if you want desecration of religious icons, you don't really need to go much further than Piss Christ, where an artist literally submerged a crucifix in a bottle of his own urine in the name of art.  Yes, it drew public ire, from both religious and public officials.  No, however, it did not get the artist arrested.  Australia has not prosecuted anyone for blasphemy since 1919.  The UK banned a film for blasphemy in 1989 (the same year as Piss Christ, actually), but didn't arrest the people responsible, much less sentence them to two years; the last such imprisonment was in 1921.  In the United States, since you yourself bring it up?  1838.  Substituting "shit" for "holy" being worth two years of prison time?  Even a majority of Russians familiar with the case (sorry, Russian link) apparently thought it was either excessive or that it should not have been tried in criminal courts in the first place. 

EDIT: Clarified the particular Russians - the relevant question was only asked of those Russians who stated they had some familiarity with the case.
The issue with Pussy Riot and its sister gropu Voina is not that they committed a blasphemy, it's that they committed a gross violation of public order. I cannot recommend this article highly enough.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 15, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »

What exactly was said violation? I never pay attention to the media so I'm only vaguely aware of any revolutionary activities.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2014, 03:10:34 pm »

All these people did not do this literally in the church.

Do you have no laws against like, satanists arriving into churches to draw pentagrams and trying to summon demons?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 220