Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257341 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2014, 10:35:05 am »

Yeah, I am - disliking Germans is basically a prequisite for being one. We're kinda messed up that way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2014, 10:37:38 am »

I think that's true of all decent countries.  Real patriotism is loving your country for it's merits despite hating it for it's flaws.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2014, 10:56:12 am »

Back on topic: The whole staff of the Moscow Museum of Film has resigned; the article talks about a 'cultural purge' that is in progress. Link in German, but there's bound to be some English/Russian sources for that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2014, 11:07:29 am »

Those are Americans, Segarr - their society is indeed not one you should strive to emulate. But have you never heard me speak about Germany? Not the Germans as a people, them I can't stand - no, about the country, about the institutions, about life here. Dammit, Russia's part of Europe - Europe is where you should look for comparisons! The so-called West is far from monolithic, you know.
Well, I do know that.

It's just the Americans are so loud and omnipresent that the probability of a American invading the discussion (any discussion) rapidly approaches one with the increase of the thread length. The same cannot be said of Europeans.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2014, 11:10:42 am »

Ran it through google translate as a temporary:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zeit.de%2F2014%2F45%2Ffilmmuseum-moskau-larissa-solonicina&edit-text=&act=url

Also, I actually understood what the Vladimir Sorokin quote was before translation, that Stalin would be shocked.

Anyways, 'cultural purge', what the heck? You can't purge culture without purging history.

Those are Americans, Segarr - their society is indeed not one you should strive to emulate. But have you never heard me speak about Germany? Not the Germans as a people, them I can't stand - no, about the country, about the institutions, about life here. Dammit, Russia's part of Europe - Europe is where you should look for comparisons! The so-called West is far from monolithic, you know.
Well, I do know that.

It's just the Americans are so loud and omnipresent that the probability of a American invading the discussion (any discussion) rapidly approaches one with the increase of the thread length. The same cannot be said of Europeans.

*pops out of the probability matrix and invades the discussion* lol

At least I try to respect the thread and keep it within the geopolitical region.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2014, 11:18:33 am »

According to this letter the museum workers have written, it's less of a govenmental purge and more of them getting assigned a really bad and incompetent director whom they couldn't work with.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2014, 11:20:51 am »

Back on topic: The whole staff of the Moscow Museum of Film has resigned; the article talks about a 'cultural purge' that is in progress. Link in German, but there's bound to be some English/Russian sources for that.
Found something in English, but it's from October (and from the Moscow Times, which I'm not familiar enough with to know its biases off the top of my head).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2014, 11:23:25 am »

Webroot, why do you keep thinking the Moscow Times is unsafe? lol.

Sounds like even the incompetent director resigned as well though?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2014, 11:24:30 am »

According to this letter the museum workers have written, it's less of a govenmental purge and more of them getting assigned a really bad and incompetent director whom they couldn't work with.
It's apparently only one incident in a whole string of events. And bad and incompetent (and not up to the job skill-wise, let's not forget that!) directors aren't appointed by accident.

At least I try to respect the thread and keep it within the geopolitical region.
You remember that time I found out you were American, right? I practically consider you an honorary European :D
The Bay12 postcard club

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2014, 11:28:08 am »

You remember that time I found out you were American, right? I practically consider you an honorary European :D

I was joking around with sergarr there and yeah I thought you guys knew I was American before because I had stated so a number of times (and thought it may have been rather obvious from what I talk about), and thanks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2014, 11:36:53 am »

It's apparently only one incident in a whole string of events. And bad and incompetent (and not up to the job skill-wise, let's not forget that!) directors aren't appointed by accident.
True, but they are not usually appointed as a part of a malicious plot either. Nepotism and cronyism run amok in the Russian ministries, and it's fully possible that she was appointed because of her political views or because she is someone's (distant) relative.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2014, 11:59:40 am »

True, but they are not usually appointed as a part of a malicious plot either. Nepotism and cronyism run amok in the Russian ministries, and it's fully possible that she was appointed because of her political views or because she is someone's (distant) relative.
If it was an isolated incident I would agree, but as there are many more such occurrences that seems unlikely. It's still possible, of course, and there's no proof either way - all we can do is look at plausibility.
The Bay12 postcard club

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2014, 12:14:41 pm »

If it was an isolated incident I would agree, but as there are many more such occurrences that seems unlikely. It's still possible, of course, and there's no proof either way - all we can do is look at plausibility.
Putin's government, for all its faults, has not been known to engage in political repressions. The majority of the oligarchs he incarcerated were jailed for actual crimes and Pussy Riot is a case of western media latching onto an otherwise unremarkable case. Of course it's plausible that, for some reason, Kremlin has decided to dismantle the Film Museum, but I think it's much more plausible has been a consequence of simple incompetence and neglect.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2014, 12:25:49 pm »

Putin's government, for all its faults, has not been known to engage in political repressions.

https://larussophobe.wordpress.com/putinmurders/
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2014, 12:26:26 pm »

The majority of the oligarchs he incarcerated were jailed for actual crimesneglect.

It's called selective enforcement and it's the oldest trick in the book.  Well maybe not that old but Roman dictators used it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 220