Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 258295 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #480 on: December 01, 2014, 10:24:43 am »

Knit tie, Ukraine is in the midst of a war. No one thing they're going to do well.

Frankly, if you're thinking "Things are not so bad, there could be a war.", you suffer from a serious case of low expectations.
Yes, I really shouldn't take joy in others' misery. Sorry.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 01, 2014, 10:27:51 am »

It's not even that, it's that we don't expect Ukraine to do well, they're being invaded. Yeah, they're going to shit. No one is arguing the contrary, so it makes for a boring discussion.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 01, 2014, 10:36:52 am »

It's not even that, it's that we don't expect Ukraine to do well, they're being invaded. Yeah, they're going to shit. No one is arguing the contrary, so it makes for a boring discussion.
I would argue that it's less of an "invasion" in the sense of enemy advancing through the Ukrainian lands and more of a chunk of their territory trying to secede: the war has been, and still is, localised to Donbass, which remains the only area of Ukraine that has suffered any destruction due to war.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:04 am »

Are you still denying there are Russian soldiers fighting the war there?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:33 am »

Are you still denying there are Russian soldiers fighting the war there?
No, but I insist that we apply the same standards to Russia that we apply to the Western powers and call it an intervention. Russian support of rebels, which are the warring pro-russian faction and the one that keeps the conflict going, does not a civil war into invasion make. During the Russian civil war, there were american soldiers and other allied forces on Russian soil, yet nobody calls it "Allied invasion of Russia." If we were to call every foreign intervention in order to help allies in a civil war "invasion", we might as well call the American involvement in Ukraine an "invasion". Or what about Libyan intervention? If I recall correctly, foreign airplanes were bombing the enemies of the Libyan rebels, why isn't that incident called "Allied invasion of Libya"?

"Invasion" is a deliberately erroneous term used by the western press as part of their anti-Russian propaganda campaign. Not that I think that calling invasions "interventions" is much better, mind you, but let's at least use the same sauce for the goose and the gander.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:22 am »

When you attack a nation with your military and annex its land, that's typically referred to as an invasion

Ruble currently experiencing the worst drop since 1998.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:05:28 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 01, 2014, 11:11:49 am »

There are plenty of locals in the rebel's forces. Can't say that there are only Russians there.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 01, 2014, 11:16:40 am »

This whole thing is ridiculously convoluted.
My point exactly, it's not as clear-cut and "good vs. bad" as many people think.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 01, 2014, 11:18:14 am »

Oh, no, it's grey vs. black. And yeah, you can argue semantically if it's an invasion or not, the fact remains that Russia is the cause of this, and the reason it goes on.

So yeah, good job, the country wrecked by war has an even worse economy that yours. Are you happy with this?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 01, 2014, 11:20:40 am »

I think a fairly close scenario in WW2 was Croatia. The domestic ustashi regime was installed to govern, and domestic forces were the bulk of the military there (until shit started to hit the fan), but I'd still say that Kingdom of Yugoslavia was invaded by Germany. And no, this is not at all about the ideology, just about similar circumstances, so let's not go down a Gowin tangent please.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:49 am »

let's not go down a Gowin tangent

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 01, 2014, 11:32:36 am »

Better than a Gowron tangent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 01, 2014, 11:37:36 am »

Oh, no, it's grey vs. black. And yeah, you can argue semantically if it's an invasion or not, the fact remains that Russia is the cause of this, and the reason it goes on.
You are saying this like Russia's decided to just annex Crimea out of the blue, with no political power games involved.

So yeah, good job, the country wrecked by war has an even worse economy that yours. Are you happy with this?
No, I'm not. I am not that callous.

I was just trying to get some schadenfreude from Ukraine being in a bad state, in the same way Mictlan and UR have been getting it from rouble devaluation. It was an unsightly and morally wrong thing for me to do, I know.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:53:28 am by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 01, 2014, 11:47:18 am »

Quote from: Knit tie
You are saying this like Russia's decided to just annex Crimea
It is exactly what happened. Empire noticed a moment of weakness in neighboring country and attacked
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 01, 2014, 11:48:51 am »

Replace "attacked" with "reclaimed it's rightful territory" and we're good. :P
._.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 220