Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257565 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #330 on: November 26, 2014, 10:29:36 am »

Objective reporting time: some Ukrainian sources claim that without Western imports the situation with the food supply in Russia became so severe, that many Russians in and around Moscow have to catch and eat hedgehogs (!).

Sergarr, our resident Muscovite (that I know of that lives in Moscow), is definetly going to know the answer to that.

It sounds rather ludicrous to me anyway.

Hedgehogs are definetly starving in Britain: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2808464/Prickly-situation-Fears-hedgehogs-survival-experts-warn-one-Britain-s-rapidly-declining-mammals-just-1million-left.html (also, only one million hedgehogs left, PANIC! Come back when theres only like 100,000 left) Did a quick google news search and I don't see anything regarding people in moscow having to find and eat hedgehogs. Of course though, I'm searching english language articles because of the simple fact that I can't read other languages. Even a search for Moscow and food reveals some food drives and stuff about food safety over holidays and general stuff about sanctions, but noting about starvation and even adding hedgehogs reveals nothing.

Edit: I know 'Muscovite' refers to those living in Moscow (and it's suburbs probably), but I guess technically all Russians are Muscovites from a historical perspective because the state of Russia is descended from the state of Muscovy.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:42:48 am by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 26, 2014, 10:45:06 am »

It's a non-sequitor joke, as far as I can understand? I don't really get it, but it is clearly a joke of some kind, since, well, I'm not going to translate that (because it's kinda NSFW).
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 26, 2014, 10:48:06 am »

Just pointing out the closest article that I could find, and I did insert a sarcastic comment about '1 million left, PANIC!'

Basic point to take from that whole post (which I've made some edits since) is that I'm not seeing anything relating to people in Moscow starving.

It's a non-sequitor joke, as far as I can understand? I don't really get it, but it is clearly a joke of some kind, since, well, I'm not going to translate that (because it's kinda NSFW).

So, they're actually reporting on a NSFW joke that they completely misunderstood? Figures.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 26, 2014, 11:28:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1991: Running out of ration cards... the shelves are empty... there are queues even for bread. Damn, I'm so hungry...

2014: Wait a second... where the fuck is French parmigiano, oysters, Norwegian salmon and dry Italian wine? That's insane! A fucking famine!!

So, they're actually reporting on a NSFW joke that they completely misunderstood? Figures.
It's less of a NSFW joke and more of a just completely insane random post worthy of /b/.
Spoiler: what is says (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:37:52 am by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2014, 01:05:31 pm »

I really want to see the West answering Russian ban on European food with banning delivery of seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and agriculture machinery
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2014, 01:15:47 pm »

http://rt.com/politics/208615-foreigners-biometric-fingerprinting-russian/

Putin orders biometric fingerprinting to all foreigners entering Russia from December 10th onwards. Nice that the president can just decide things like that without asking anyone.

By the way, today, 75 years ago, Soviet Union staged "shelling of Mainila"(or at least claimed it to have happened) and used it as the "casus belli" to start Winter War.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2014, 01:24:00 pm »

Putin orders biometric fingerprinting to all foreigners entering Russia from December 10th onwards. Nice that the president can just decide things like that without asking anyone.

By the way, today, 75 years ago, Soviet Union staged "shelling of Mainila"(or at least claimed it to have happened) and used it as the "casus belli" to start Winter War.
He has 83% popular vote, cut the man some slack  :P
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2014, 01:52:44 pm »

Actually "only" 64% voted for him. Recent gallups aren't quite the same thing as votes... Although I guess generally speaking either could be both manipulated.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »

Unless you're implying that the Levada center could be pushing pro-Putin propaganda, no, they couldn't be both manipulated.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 26, 2014, 03:27:22 pm »

Unless you're implying that the Levada center could be pushing pro-Putin propaganda, no, they couldn't be both manipulated.

No, I wasnt implying that the vote results may have been fabricated. Although I'd agree that in these threads its a bit too easy to start reading between the lines and misunderstand someone when there is no further meaning meant to be in a sentence.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 26, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »

Putin didn't exactly "order" it, it was rather him saying that the corresponding federal law will be de-facto in force before it will be de-jure in force.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 26, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »

Mmmmh, I've just finished 'Brat', and I really liked it, any other similar good Russian film to recommend?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 26, 2014, 04:57:30 pm »

Mmmmh, I've just finished 'Brat', and I really liked it, any other similar good Russian film to recommend?
No, unfortunately, most of Russian films after 1990 are complete shit.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 26, 2014, 05:01:43 pm »

Hey, Sturgeon's law, most of every genre is shit. Any good Soviet-era movie then? I think the only one I've ever watched is "Battleship Potemkin". Maybe you've got something more recent?  :P

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 26, 2014, 05:06:33 pm »

"Operation Y" is an absolute classic, you should try that.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 220