Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257868 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2520 on: January 21, 2015, 05:18:18 pm »

Of course it can't be Russian soldiers fighting and dying in Ukraine, that'd ruin the story of it being a civil war instead of an invasion.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: January 21, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

Of course it can't be Russian soldiers fighting and dying in Ukraine, that'd ruin the story of it being a civil war instead of an invasion.
Why not both?
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 21, 2015, 05:39:46 pm »

Someone photoshop Zoidberg operating a Buk NOW!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: January 21, 2015, 05:48:33 pm »

Russia's not misunderstood.
Heh, so it actually is a mixture of equal parts USSR and Hitlerstalin?
Have you read the secret message?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 21, 2015, 05:49:29 pm »

Anti fascist protest in germany with flags of I'm Odessa
http://timer.od.ua/news/je_suis_odessa_v_germanii_proshel_antifashistskiy_marsh_802.html

Strange pro russian talk on some strange german news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=m9R5UEVMJHE&app=desktop

Обзор карты боевых действий 21.01.2015 на 20.30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84411374&v=nrh3kn__UCM&x-yt-ts=1421828030
Make love not war

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: January 21, 2015, 05:50:49 pm »

It only took sending in even more Russian troops to do it too.  :)
To quote:
Some "pro-Russian" news to get back to topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMlj4Aa_ms

Ignore that interesting way to hold a machine gun. Several sources seem to claim that video to be another proof of Russian soldiers in Eastern Ukraine. Apparently the badges/insignia worn by 1 or 2(cant say for sure as the video is blurry, but the man at the back could also wear one) men are of the Russian Marines'. I'm not convinced. Its common practice everywhere to strip everything from the uniforms, and since every man in that place knows there are cameras around and they may get captured(or have bodies end up in enemy hands), wearing clothing that would give out their unit, origin etc. just wouldn't be too smart. Probably uniforms like that complete with the Marine badge can be bought from a local outdoors equipment store too, just like the ones that have western camo patterns and flags.

On the other hand, it looks like all 3 separatist fighters have a similar uniform, and the man with the PKM carries a sidearm. Interesting.

That badge looks like the unofficial badge of the Russian Naval Infantry. It can be bought in various stores on the internet, like this one or this one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, if the soldiers in the recording are genuine Russian Naval Infantrymen, why do they fight in Donetsk and not somewhere closer to the sea, like Mariupol?

Yeah, like the "polite people" of Crimea. It would make sense for a recent influx of Russian soldiers to explain the rebels' success over the last few days.
According to Russian social media and Cassad, Voentorg's been really active lately, having a big "sale" on various "military surplus" and all. No Russian involvement in actual fighting, though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:04:09 pm by Knit tie »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:50 pm »

Russia's not misunderstood.
Heh, so it actually is a mixture of equal parts USSR and Hitlerstalin?
Have you read the secret message?
The bit after the slash? I thought it referred to the second sentence... I was trying to poke fun at the Western image of Russia, anyway.
Anti fascist protest in germany with flags of I'm Odessa
http://timer.od.ua/news/je_suis_odessa_v_germanii_proshel_antifashistskiy_marsh_802.html
That's one of the anti-Pegida demonstrations. Everyone who's not completey bananas supports those, and plenty of people who are. I went to one such demo, and there were plenty of... weird folks there. Not only on the Bogida (our local variant) side.
Strange pro russian talk on some strange german news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=m9R5UEVMJHE&app=desktop
Those voices have been around since day one in Germany - we've got plenty of people from the ex-DDR UR would probably call 'Soviets', our main left party is traditionally Russia-friendly (Brandt apparently was willing to let Israel get overrun to not endanger his policy of 'relaxation'), our main Elder Statesmen - first among them Schmidt, who is (or at the very least used to be until this crisis) a bit of a role-model to me - went back into Cold War mode practically immediately, which in Germany means something entirely different than in the US... It's not strange at all, really.
The content of the interview is crap, though. He repeats the Blackwater myth, claims that Europe is following a policy that benefits America at our cost, repeats those claims that the sanctions a) hurt our economy badly and b) only pushes Russia towards other powers, lessening out importance in the world (cowtowing before Russia wouldn't?), doesn't even once mention Ukraine's own interests... And the kicker: He is (can be seen at 5:41) a security expert - for the _Middle East_!
The station is Phoenix: Nobody watches it, but it's funded by the public and committed to informing about political topics, especially providing details and backgrounds that would otherwise go unnoticed. They do live transmissions from the Bundestag, for example, and they have a great talkshow on Sundays, if I remember correctly.
Together with Arte it's one of the two non-terrible German stations IMO.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: January 21, 2015, 06:21:44 pm »

Those voices have been around since day one in Germany - we've got plenty of people from the ex-DDR UR would probably call 'Soviets', our main left party is traditionally Russia-friendly (Brandt apparently was willing to let Israel get overrun to not endanger his policy of 'relaxation'), our main Elder Statesmen - first among them Schmidt, who is (or at the very least used to be until this crisis) a bit of a role-model to me - went back into Cold War mode practically immediately, which in Germany means something entirely different than in the US... It's not strange at all, really.
The content of the interview is crap, though. He repeats the Blackwater myth, claims that Europe is following a policy that benefits America at our cost, repeats those claims that the sanctions a) hurt our economy badly and b) only pushes Russia towards other powers, lessening out importance in the world (cowtowing before Russia wouldn't?), doesn't even once mention Ukraine's own interests... And the kicker: He is (can be seen at 5:41) a security expert - for the _Middle East_!
The station is Phoenix: Nobody watches it, but it's funded by the public and committed to informing about political topics, especially providing details and backgrounds that would otherwise go unnoticed. They do live transmissions from the Bundestag, for example, and they have a great talkshow on Sundays, if I remember correctly.
Together with Arte it's one of the two non-terrible German stations IMO.

Ehh from german channels when I was a kid, I really remember  watching RTL1 (if i remember good they had some great cartoon on them), RTL2, Prosieben (good movies), and one more, i think VoX or something like that.
Make love not war

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 21, 2015, 06:36:14 pm »

Of course, you'd call this interview crap, Helgo, you Merkelbot!  :P

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 21, 2015, 06:39:34 pm »

._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 21, 2015, 07:50:28 pm »

Cassad warns his readers that a column of fake "DNR"-insignia bearing vehicles and troops has been spotted in the town of Artyomovsk, which is behind the frontline on the Ukrainian side and as such cannnot have actual rebels in it without shooting. People should be wary of potential false-flag operations.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: January 21, 2015, 07:57:30 pm »

Cassad warns his readers that a column of fake "DNR"-insignia bearing vehicles and troops has been spotted in the town of Artyomovsk, which is behind the frontline on the Ukrainian side and as such cannnot have actual rebels in it without shooting. People should be wary of potential false-flag operations.
Sounds like a nice way to remove some friendly obstacles.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:28 pm »

I guess the Ukrops are going to prepare a new batch of Heavenly Hundred?

Wait, no, that's unnecessary hostile. Ugh.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:31:14 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:58 pm »

Sounds like a nice way to remove some friendly obstacles.
Are you talking about Novorossiya or about Ukraine? Because both have so far been perfectly fine with violently disposing of friendly obstacles.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:36:24 pm by Knit tie »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 21, 2015, 09:08:50 pm »

Someone photoshop Zoidberg operating a Buk NOW!

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 220