Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257915 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1335 on: December 29, 2014, 05:55:19 am »

Well, if Yeltsin had approval in the single digit and still won elections, that's not a democracy...
As I said here before, the United States of America plopped him up, because they feared that the communist or nationalist rule in Russia would become a threat to American hegemony. They should be thanked for their major contributions in making Russia an un-democracy.

The rule of Yeltsin and pro-Western liberals was challenged twice: in 1993, when the Supreme Soviet of Russia denounced the neoliberal economic reforms and later on openly rose up against him, and kind of seriously in 1996 during the presidential elections. In 1993, Yeltsin, acting with the unspoken approval of his Western backers, crushed the uprising with tanks. In 1996, Yeltsin was bailed out by American spin doctors, who helped him recover his single-digit rating, and his oligarch friends, who controlled many major media outlets, and even then there were claims that Yeltsin allegedly had to commit election fraud in order to stay in office.
Without foreign support, the liberals in control of Russia would have to take the opposition demands into account and amend their policies or be removed from office.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 29, 2014, 06:14:14 am »

So, are we back in evil America's conspiracies being behind Russia's troubles again?

Sounds awful lot like a certain European country in the 1930s.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 29, 2014, 06:23:15 am »

So, are we back in evil America's conspiracies being behind Russia's troubles again?

Sounds awful lot like a certain European country in the 1930s.
Pre-WW2 Nazi Germany's propaganda does not automatically make other American covert involvement elsewhere after WW2 less real.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 29, 2014, 06:25:18 am »

True, but in this case, the American involvement seems to be limited to apparently saying a few kinds words in private, and not preventing Yeltsin from hiring Americans PR firm. By that metric, every election ever has been rigged.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: December 29, 2014, 06:30:39 am »

Well, if Yeltsin had approval in the single digit and still won elections, that's not a democracy...
In 1996, Yeltsin was bailed out by American spin doctors, who helped him recover his single-digit rating, and his oligarch friends, who controlled many major media outlets, and even then there were claims that Yeltsin allegedly had to commit election fraud in order to stay in office.
So what's so much more likeable about Putin's spin doctors, oligarch friends & control of major media outlets...

Edit: You never get rid of spin doctors & media games, it's common to all politics. At least with 2 or more sides using spin against each other like in a democracy it's more obvious they're all talking shite.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:25:06 am by wobbly »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 29, 2014, 08:06:39 am »

In 1996, Yeltsin was bailed out by American spin doctors, who helped him recover his single-digit rating, and his oligarch friends, who controlled many major media outlets, and even then there were claims that Yeltsin allegedly had to commit election fraud in order to stay in office.
So what's so much more likeable about Putin's spin doctors, oligarch friends & control of major media outlets...
The fact that unlike Yeltsin, Putin is a rather good, benevolent ruler who is not at all a drunkard.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 29, 2014, 08:08:44 am »

You guys should try democracy once, instead of just slapping the democracy label on something entirely unrelated and deciding you don't like it.
Blame Russian self-claimed "liberals" that have done exactly that.

Or are you thinking that Russians are a homogenious mass of pro-Putin?
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 29, 2014, 08:11:34 am »

You guys should try democracy once, instead of just slapping the democracy label on something entirely unrelated and deciding you don't like it.
Blame Russian self-claimed "liberals" that have done exactly that.

Or are you thinking that Russians are a homogenious mass of pro-Putin?
Every single modern Russian politician wants to or already is hogging power, like Putin.

What they don't do, unlike Putin, is being competent administrators and sane decision-makers while hogging power.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:13:56 am by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 29, 2014, 08:35:28 am »

>sane decision makers

>taking over Crimea and then trying to pretend that it was legal

yeah no
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 29, 2014, 08:44:01 am »

>sane decision makers

>taking over Crimea and then trying to pretend that it was legal

yeah no

Well if he didn't even pretend it was legal everyone in world would go batshit crazy, sorry for my phrasing.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 29, 2014, 09:10:33 am »

The fact that unlike Yeltsin, Putin is a rather good, benevolent ruler who is not at all a drunkard.

This is the same Putin that you say you oppose and that we are strawmanning you for saying you like him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 29, 2014, 09:13:19 am »

He opposes him less than the alternatives

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 29, 2014, 09:14:15 am »

Yes he opposes the good benevolent leader whose behavior he unfailingly rationalizes.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 29, 2014, 09:23:17 am »

Or you could assume he meant relatively good and benevolent instead of trying to portray him as a hypocrite. You've been generally detrimental to the atmosphere of the thread, why?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 29, 2014, 09:24:19 am »

I mock those who mock others?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 220