Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 257611 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #1170 on: December 19, 2014, 07:00:15 pm »

Guardian, can you expand on how Belarus could not have followed the same path as the Baltics and Poland? Also, Poland for example is about twice as rich as Belarus in nominal GDP and 50% richer in PPP GDP. Why do you deride them as "not particularily prosperous places"?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: December 19, 2014, 07:21:53 pm »

Guardian, can you expand on how Belarus could not have followed the same path as the Baltics and Poland?
Probably looked at Ukraine.  :-\
Also, Poland for example is about twice as rich as Belarus in nominal GDP and 50% richer in PPP GDP. Why do you deride them as "not particularily prosperous places"?
Perhaps he meant that Belarus and Ukraine would not be welcome in the EU because they're too poor? Poland and the Baltics are not First World rich, but their GDPs definitely picked up after they joined. (of course so did inflation, but you know- omelets and eggs)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: December 19, 2014, 07:32:53 pm »

You can't make an egg without reversing entropy on an omelette?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 19, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »

Incidentally, 1 USD is 59 RUB right now.

Yes and no. The immediate demand is what drew it down (presumably).  Now it bounces (not quite) back.
I see, so the recent spike in dollar value has been due to the credit, and now we are seeing the ruble value go down due to market forces?
Dollar value, but yes. That's my theory anyway. (incidentally now is a good time to buy dollars for rubles- I will bet you 10 Internets right now, you'll sell them for no less than 65 rubles before the weekend.)
I'm gonna try and remember that bet. See if it carries out true.

Good thing I don't buy dollars!
Huh. I guess I owe you 10 internets. Even though dollar rose to 63.3 at one point, had you held out for 65 like I recommended, your dollar would now be worth ~2% less than when you started. This corresponds to about -82% APR and is spectacularly poor financial advice.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:49 pm »

Incidentally, 1 USD is 59 RUB right now.

Yes and no. The immediate demand is what drew it down (presumably).  Now it bounces (not quite) back.
I see, so the recent spike in dollar value has been due to the credit, and now we are seeing the ruble value go down due to market forces?
Dollar value, but yes. That's my theory anyway. (incidentally now is a good time to buy dollars for rubles- I will bet you 10 Internets right now, you'll sell them for no less than 65 rubles before the weekend.)
I'm gonna try and remember that bet. See if it carries out true.

Good thing I don't buy dollars!
Huh. I guess I owe you 10 internets. Even though dollar rose to 63.3 at one point, had you held out for 65 like I recommended, your dollar would now be worth ~2% less than when you started. This corresponds to about -82% APR and is spectacularly poor financial advice.
Do you think ruble will appreciate any further?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:28:16 am by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: December 20, 2014, 08:36:07 am »

._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 20, 2014, 08:40:18 am »

Google translate is not very cooperative.

So what happened. Did Russia ban Belarusian products?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 20, 2014, 08:46:03 am »

Russia continues to "hit itself so than others may fear it", and in an attempt to exclude all the European sanctioned food is clamping down on all possible re-export.

I still have no idea why did Putin ban food import.

Also I have no idea why Putin has thought that taking Crimea will not provoke a serious international response.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 20, 2014, 08:50:09 am »

Google translate works fine for me.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rbc.ru%2Frbcfreenews%2F5495503a9a7947a3423ef14d&edit-text=

To summarize, Russia banned food from Belarus going to Khazakistan (or maybe any food crossing the border) due to "the detection of bacteria, microbes, antibiotics and African swine virus genome St. frost." and Lukashenko is calling the ban mindless.

The only part that doesn't make sense is the 'virus genome st. frost', but I'm guessing it just means some strain of it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:53:55 am by smjjames »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: December 20, 2014, 09:34:35 am »

Russian authorities thought that our food companies, especially meat packing plants, re-export EU goods into Russia, so they banned the import of meat products by several Belarusian companies under the usual pretext of sanitary violations.

The only part that doesn't make sense is the 'virus genome st. frost', but I'm guessing it just means some strain of it.
"African swine virus genome St. frost" actually means "the genome of African swine fever virus". Outbreaks of that virus occured in Belarus in 2013 and 2014. Russia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Ukraine also had outbreaks of ASF in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: December 22, 2014, 01:43:12 am »

http://www.investing.com/currencies/usd-rub
http://www.investing.com/currencies/eur-rub

Seems like whatever caused that peak a few days ago was dealt with swiftly, and the market is returning to more balanced state.
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 22, 2014, 05:13:38 am »

PTW. Eh.. I just noticed that thread somehow.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 22, 2014, 05:30:42 am »

Well, banning food import is the reasons Russia still got a current-account surplus. (Or at least had a week ago). Without that, its foreign exchange reserve would have collapsed faster. Food make sense, because it's a relatively low-tech industry, it's easier to import-substitute food than other goods, especially if you have plentiful of arable land.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 22, 2014, 09:08:54 am »

Well, banning food import is the reasons Russia still got a current-account surplus. (Or at least had a week ago). Without that, its foreign exchange reserve would have collapsed faster. Food make sense, because it's a relatively low-tech industry, it's easier to import-substitute food than other goods, especially if you have plentiful of arable land.
And our agricultural sector could've very easily grown back to its Soviet production levels all those years ago if only it had an incentive to do so in the shape of imported food not being so much more profitable to sell, like it has now.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:25 am »

Well, it's not only incentive that matters. There are plenty or reasons why the Russian agricultural sector sucks, from ownership structure to the collapse of agricultural extension services post-communism. Generally speaking, sheltering a sector from competition is not the best way to make it productive if you don't offer additional incentives.

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 220