Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increasing attack frequency  (Read 1112 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Increasing attack frequency
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:30:45 am »

How do I make goblins and other civs attack earlier (like first year) and more often?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing attack frequency
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 12:39:20 am »

Set their attack trigger to be lower in all categories. As for the frequency part...I've got nothing.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:58:24 am by King Kravoka »
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 12:58:32 am »

One think you can do to increase the frequency, is that you can add more enemy civs (including clones of the existing goblins, if you don't want actual different types of enemies - just give then a unique ENTITY name of course)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:54:12 am »

Yup, go with attack triggers. In fact, remove them all completely and they'll attack in the first year, without waiting for the usual fortress wealth/population triggers. Also: check out the tag ACTIVE_SEASON. Add all 3 other seasons and they'll attack at any part of the year- sometimes more than one siege or ambush at once.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:09:32 am »

Yup, go with attack triggers. In fact, remove them all completely and they'll attack in the first year, without waiting for the usual fortress wealth/population triggers. Also: check out the tag ACTIVE_SEASON. Add all 3 other seasons and they'll attack at any part of the year- sometimes more than one siege or ambush at once.
So does having four active seasons give them four chances to siege per year, or just allow their one opportunity to occur any time?

If it's the latter, you can go with the cloning idea and have SPRING_GOBLINS, SUMMER_GOBLINS, FALL_GOBLINS and WINTER_GOBLINS.  Maybe even tweak their ethics a bit so they might be at war with each other.

Also, is there a difference between having all four seasons active and not specifying any at all?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:11:06 pm »

By giving them all four active season tags they can send an ambush/siege once every season, or four times a year. Once per season is as often as one civilization will ever show up, I think, but if there are multiple civilizations they can all attack during the same season if they share active season tags.

If you don't specify any active season tags, they will never show up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:18:53 pm »

Since we're going that route, why not make each gobbo civ have slight cultural differences? Anything from giving them slightly different choices of weapons and armor to giving them unique special abilities.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.