Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Convoy - spiritual successor to Roadwar 2000  (Read 15682 times)

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Convoy - spiritual successor to Roadwar 2000
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »

Another "spiritual successor", aka a bad remake.

I'll never understand why folks don't just remake classic games with a modern engine and ui features. Darklands, for example. I would have a seizure if someone were to remake it exactly as it was with modern graphics, fix the bugs, and don't try to reinvent the wheel.

That having been said, I'll probably play this when it's released, if for no other reason than to be proven right.

Someone needs to remake Boomtown.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2015, 02:28:05 pm »

I'll never understand why folks don't just remake classic games with a modern engine and ui features. Darklands, for example. I would have a seizure if someone were to remake it exactly as it was with modern graphics, fix the bugs, and don't try to reinvent the wheel.

That having been said, I'll probably play this when it's released, if for no other reason than to be proven right.

Because of licensing rights.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2015, 03:23:22 pm »

Because of licensing rights.

So you don't name it the same thing. Simple enough. With a game like Roadwar, which uses real world locations, there isn't anything particularly unique to claim as intellectual property.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2015, 03:43:47 pm »

Game elements can be patented.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2015, 10:44:46 pm »

Source? I'd like to see examples of game elements (which are universal in the industry) that have been patented and/or fought for in a legal battle.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2015, 11:19:30 pm »

It's probably less that and more that game devs are generally creative individuals. You have to really love something to do a complete overhaul without introducing your own ideas into it. That takes most of the creative aspect out and just leaves you with the drudgery of the task.

I mean...I have about 6 or 7 game ideas I'd love to see made and about 30 board game ideas that are in some stage of development (From basic idea to a few that I really ought to get polished up to try and sell). Ideas are easy, and it's easy to get excited about your own ideas. Making someone else's idea just isn't as fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2015, 11:41:45 pm »

It's probably less that and more that game devs are generally creative individuals. You have to really love something to do a complete overhaul without introducing your own ideas into it. That takes most of the creative aspect out and just leaves you with the drudgery of the task.

I mean...I have about 6 or 7 game ideas I'd love to see made and about 30 board game ideas that are in some stage of development (From basic idea to a few that I really ought to get polished up to try and sell). Ideas are easy, and it's easy to get excited about your own ideas. Making someone else's idea just isn't as fun.

I can somewhat understand what your position is, but I guess I just feel strongly about certain games. One of the main reasons that I go so ballistic when modern devs totally botch a release of a classic (X-Com, Jagged Alliance, etc).

Anyway. I'll be glad enough that someone is releasing a Roadwar clone. That game was/is awesome, although dated. We'll see if they screw it up.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2015, 04:14:12 am »

Source? I'd like to see examples of game elements (which are universal in the industry) that have been patented and/or fought for in a legal battle.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/03/patents-on-video-game-mechanics-may-strangle-innovation/

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 07:06:54 pm »

Magic the gathering went after a few companies because of 'Tapping' for online card games and normal.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2015, 02:56:54 am »

Who would want to work on a game where they're literally not allowed to touch any of the mechanics, lest they're dogpiled by nostalgia-goggled people who think the original was perfect.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2015, 03:37:11 am »

Who would want to work on a game where they're literally not allowed to touch any of the mechanics, lest they're dogpiled by nostalgia-goggled people who think the original was perfect.

firaxis :P

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2015, 11:30:22 am »

Intelligent developers who want a fanbase and revenue.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:50 am »

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidHoppe/20150109/233806/2015_The_Year_We_Get_Loading_Screen_MiniGames_Back.php

Pretty specific, but a garbage decision that needs to be contested. This wouldn't stand up, as the patent is far too broad-reaching.

Also, I have played NUMEROUS games where you do things during load screens, even if it's just rotate objects. Fallout 4 comes to mind.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 11:46:43 am »

Intelligent developers who want a fanbase and revenue.
And what, for example, Firaxis did with NewCom gave them exactly that :)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6