Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare: any thoughts?  (Read 4238 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare: any thoughts?
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:50:11 pm »

so, I was a huge fan of CoD until modern warfare 2 - I fallen out of the loop after the franchise was showing the lack of love any money printing yearly serial

Latest incarnation however is out, and there is no bullshit dog, so that's already a point in favor. Anyone owns it and care to share his impressions?

Also, is it a clean steam install or does it come with its own nagging updater resident software?

I saw some trailer and video, I kind of like the crysis vibe it emit, but I don't want to commit 60 euro to just that.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare: any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:02:52 pm »

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I did play World at War because it was the weekend and I was in the mood for a shooter so I bought it on a whim.

I saw a trailer, and from the looks of it CoD is going the way of ridiculous in a 'hey look how cool and fun war is' sort of way.

Does anybody remember the Stalingrad scene from CoD? To me that is the "CoD" moment that sticks out the most to me, it encompasses everything that the series should have been. Instead, we get "jetpacks are fucking awesome right? Let's go kill a bunch of people as cities that took decades to build are toppled in mere seconds all around us"

Seriously, what is the point of fighting a war if there's nothing left after the war is over?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:28:46 pm »

CoD games are not singleplayer anymore, but multiplayer games, and the new one looks really good compared to other older ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06xIb1Q_nD8&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ
Make love not war

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:58:27 pm »

CoD games are not singleplayer anymore, but multiplayer games, and the new one looks really good compared to other older ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06xIb1Q_nD8&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

lol all the jumping gameplay... that looks a lot as quake gameplay and I kind of dig it... but he said hacking is already becoming a problem and that kind of killed it for me

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:02:10 pm »

I make fun of Cawadoody games kinda by default (except the two Blopses, they were hilariously over-the-top fun in single player).  Twitchy FPSes aren't really my bag, and the modern military aesthetic kinda bores me.  I mean, most of the guns just look fuckin' boring and samey.

Also I hate assault rifles.  Especially in Cawadoody where you essentially die in like, one or two hits, they make a lot of the other guns irrelevant because they're good at EVERYTHING.  They just feel kinda boring, too.  Again, it's probably a difference of taste or something.

HOWEVER, when I saw the trailers for this latest one, it looked pretty awesome.  It seems like its gone really scifi.  So yeah!  At some point I'll probably not get it, and I guess I won't talk shit about it just on principle.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »

I watched the TotalBiscuit review and it actually looks quite good. I enjoyed Titanfall, but it needed a TON more content - I really don't know why it didn't get called out more on that. I mean, you could go through all the maps/gamemodes in about an hour.

As TB was saying, a lot of the improvement is that being able to dodge keeps you alive for longer (and seems more skill based) rather than just 'whoever saw who first wins'. There's a hell of a lot of customization, and having an RPG element to it (loot) will help add some progression with it.

I doubt I'll get it for a while, but may eventually - especially if a few good coop modes come out/zombies..
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 05:34:48 pm »

This looks cool enough to buy when it's on sale with the DLC. They've actually changed the gameplay, which they haven't really done since modern warfare. I am, however, a cheapass, and I'm not paying $60 to get in on the latest multiplayer FPS.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 07:41:20 pm »

Retropunch and Sensei have summed up most of my thoughts on it. I was prepared for it to be a complete rehash of Ghosts, but Totalbiscuit's WTF is?.. video for the multiplayer swayed me otherwise. I do like the look of the customization. They seem to have attempted to mix the better inclusions from previous CoD's into this one. The pick 10 system and score streaks in particular. I am still a little bummed that cod points haven't returned from Black Ops 1, because with the tweaked gun and cosmetic drops they could really have put the cod points to extra use, like using them to buy cosmetics, tweaked guns, attachments (instead of the archaic get-gud-with-gun-to-get-gud-attachments-for-gun system), gun skins, and ever wager matches. Sure, back in BO1 wagering was sort of useless because everything was super cheap and you could only buy stuff at certain ranks, but the idea was solid. Also, I like the more old school arena vibe the inclusion of the exo suits brings. Loadout is a bit similar in that regard, where you have to dodge to survive and out maneuver the other guy so he can't kill you.

Will I buy the game? Heck no, at least not until it goes on a sale of more than 25%, because I'm a cheap bastard and I don't want Activision thinking they've won me back that easily.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 08:08:25 pm »

I'm not super optimistic, though I haven't seen much.  I loved Titanfall but it seems like the kinds of people who play aren't really interested in innovation.  It mostly was just rooftop call of duty
Shoes...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 01:48:17 am »

This looks cool enough to buy when it's on sale with the DLC. They've actually changed the gameplay, which they haven't really done since modern warfare. I am, however, a cheapass, and I'm not paying $60 to get in on the latest multiplayer FPS.

On the other hand if you wait too much you'll end up with cold servers. Multiplayer games like this have a short life.

Also I didn't say but I'd get it for the online. I was once in a clan and had load of fun.

... Mw2 is still my most played game http://www.wastedonsteam.com/usd/id/76561197986674427/hours:75

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 02:42:47 am »

On the other hand if you wait too much you'll end up with cold servers. Multiplayer games like this have a short life.

Also I didn't say but I'd get it for the online. I was once in a clan and had load of fun.

... Mw2 is still my most played game http://www.wastedonsteam.com/usd/id/76561197986674427/hours:75

I don't know, Black Ops still has a lot of players and that's reallllly old. Sure, you can't get on the less popular game modes, but team deathmatch is still going strong and I often load it up every few weekends to do some splitscreening. It also benefits from being a *relatively* serious crowd now that the kiddiecrafters have gone on to newer stuff.

Regardless, I'm hoping that this one does significantly better than the last lot of Call of Dutys so Activision realise that they have to actually do something to keep getting sales. The last few have just felt so utterly phoned in that it physically hurt knowing they were selling so well.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 05:35:03 am »

I'm very sure it'll be another Call of Trash. For me, Call of Duty is one of the worst if not the worst Shooter ever.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 07:19:09 am »

I'm very sure it'll be another Call of Trash. For me, Call of Duty is one of the worst if not the worst Shooter ever.
You're wrong

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 09:11:38 am »

One of my favourite moments, though, was CoD 4 when that nuke goes off and you're forced to play as that guy spending his final minute crawling around the crash site half-delirious. Kinda gives you a perspective on how bad it is knowing that it's completely hopeless.
I still kinda hate that part of cod 4, because while very powerful, it spawned the need for MW 2 and 3 to have "shocking moments." It would be more shocking if there was no shocking moment in the third, but nooooooooo. Child has to die. Off camera, naturally, because we can't be too shocking. At least this game lets we donate my respects by pressing the F key at a predetermined time.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 11:47:26 am »

I agree that the 'shocking moments' have become a bit trite now that they sort of arbitrarily add them in because they feel they have to.

I still think how absolutely crazy that airport scene was. Not because of the actual content, but because so many people just shot the civilians, and so many news anchors/media people said they played it and had to shoot people to progress and how hard it was for them and whatever - and then it came out that you absolutely 100% didn't have to shoot anyone, and everyone just looked insane.

Strangely nothing much was made of it - I imagine because everyone was too embarrassed that they just shot them without having too - but it's one hell of a social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2 3