Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare: any thoughts?  (Read 4233 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare: any thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 01:43:31 pm »

I can't actually recall any really serious attempts to break into the market of arcade low time to kill shooters.
That's because you'd have to be suicidal to try and go up against CoD's marketing department.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 02:04:48 pm »

Decent polish + marketing is what AAA does.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »

I absolutely loved CoD 1,2 and 4 but I seriously lost interest when mw2 came out. It was when dedicated servers got thrown out and the sole innovation of each title was to introduce more gimmick perks and weapons to hide the fact that the actual game formula had become extremely stagnant.

I think a lot of the success CoD has had in the reason years comes from the fact that oddly enough there don't really seem to be a lot of actual high profile competition in the shooter sub-genre that CoD occupies. Most other shooter focus on either a sci-fi theme (halo, gears of war, titanfall) or on combined arms warfare (battlefield, Arma). I can't actually recall any really serious attempts to break into the market of arcade low time to kill shooters.
How long have dedicated servers been a myth for cod? I know that AW is now riddled with hackers and lag from bad hosts, so the multiplayer isn't really worth playing right now. So now the purchase that I was holding off for a while is going to be held off even longer.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 08:07:21 pm »

I'd wager most console-only gamers don't even know of the concept of dedicated servers.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 08:49:31 pm »

I'm enjoying it.  :)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 08:52:15 pm »

From what I've seen, though, hackers are far less common on console versions of the series.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 12:57:08 pm »

I think one of my favorite Call of Duty gimick missions was one of the finales where you storm a house in an up-armored bomb disposal suit with a minigun. It was silly but great fun to not have to give a crap about cover and just house down enemies with a storm of lead in a game where otherwise having proper cover was king.
That level was miserable on Veteran. You just couldn't move fast enough to fight properly.

The new boosting mechanic is probably the best thing to happen to Call of Duty. Its also great that killstreaks no longer dominate the map as soon as they appear.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 06:35:07 pm »

I'm very sure it'll be another Call of Trash. For me, Call of Duty is one of the worst if not the worst Shooter ever.
You're wrong

Oh. Yeah. You totally convinced me. Gratz!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 06:39:22 pm »

both of you made compelling points, now let people with something to say go on and let it go.

thanks, op.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2014, 06:57:33 pm »

I'm very sure it'll be another Call of Trash. For me, Call of Duty is one of the worst if not the worst Shooter ever.
You're wrong

Well for starters Call of duty has one of the best single player experiences ever. I have never played a shooter mission that made more of an impression than the Stalingrad mission. Being shipped across the Volga with countless of other cannon fodder, followed by dodging bullets left and right because you only got a hand full of bullets instead of a rifle was just awesome. The rest of that stalingrad campaign is great too.

Furthermore it has a very enjoyable multiplayer. The netcode is good causing usually very low latency. Multiplayer has very balanced weapons and fast but dynamic gameplay. The maps usually have lots of cover and routes to assault positions. The single 2 things that are rewarded are situational awareness and accuracy due to the absence of rpg leveling mechanics.

Furthermore the game has full mod support which seriously increased the games longevity, it is even played online these days (usually modded) albeit by way lower numbers than used to.

Finally the game has a great expansion, united offensive, with larger maps and which is the only Call of Duty to feature larger scale vehicle warfare.

I seriously don't see what is so bad?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2014, 07:17:24 pm »

Last CoD game I bought was 4, because it was on PC and it was the game to play at the time. And I honestly did enjoy, both the single player and the multiplayer. Single player is pretty much worthless these days in shooters, unless it's Wolfenstein.

But I remember when all this shit started back with like.....CoD 2? I remember playing a demo, and being amazed at the non-stop enemies spawning atmospherically instead of popping into existence like most FPS had up to that point, if they had spawns at all. I remember the Saving Private Ryan grenade effects on your vision and hearing, and just the constant stream of dudes to mow down. One of the first things I did was march up to the spawn point and starting wasting dudes as they hopped over fences or through windows. All in all, I was pretty amazed how much faster and fluid and cinematic it was to the previous generation of shooters. I don't know if CoD was the first to do these things, but I think it was the first to do them really well, and smoothly, with none of the woodeness I remember out of Medal of Honor.

Fast forward...what....8 or 9 games now? And the same things that made it really interesting to me are now industry standard tropes in the genre, along with Tacticool, absurd doomsday storylines that all end the same way every time, an orgy of visuals and your occasionally controversial moment. On top of the game getting faster and more arcadey.

Maybe this is what it means to get old, and feel pretty disenfranchised from popular culture. I just can't really get into it anymore. The bombast just makes me want to laugh, and the amount of crap that's on your screen just makes me not to want play. I'm not really reserving this for CoD anymore either. I used to really like Battlefield and played it up to....hell I don't even know what version it's now. But sorta the same story. Ranking up. Unlocks. Perks. Kill streaks. Eh. I used to really like these things and the whole presentation, but of the last 3 or 4 years, I just don't get into it like I used to. I think I'm kinda waiting on the next evolution of shooters to get back into it again, because I want something fresh, not the desperately rehashed and re-used gameplay of the last 8 to 10 years.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:58:10 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2014, 07:32:24 pm »

Maybe this is what it means to get old, and feel pretty disenfranchised from popular culture. I just can't really get into it anymore. The bombast just makes me want to laugh, and the amount of crap that's on your screen just makes me not to want play. I'm not really reserving this for CoD anymore either. I used to really like Battlefield and played it up to....hell I don't even know what version it's now. But sorta the same story. Ranking up. Unlocks. Perks. Kill streaks. Eh. I used to really like these things and the whole presentation, but of the last 3 or 4 years, I just don't get into it like I used to. I think I'm kinda waiting on the next evolution of shooters to get back into it again, because I want something fresh, not the desperately rehashed and re-used gameplay of the last 8 to 10 years.
Shooters in the last few years (at least CoD, BF is heading this way faster and faster) have gone the same direction that sports video games did over 15 years ago.  Yearly releases that feature one major game change and a few minor ones, changes that at times are cool and others that seem like step backwards in fun/playability.  Feature changes that have to have been thought of years before that are in a populated list that get chosen to "change up" the next release.  You'll probably see minor change that were well received in one release make it into the next, but don't expect major changes because by the time that years product is released the next one is already well into production.

I'm sitting here watching this all happen while I play my $15 games made by small teams who actually want to make a unique product and have fun.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 10:04:51 pm »

Single player is pretty much worthless these days in shooters, unless it's Wolfenstein.
Metro says привет.

I have never been a shooter guy, only really played Goldeneye.  No Doom, Half-life, Quake, haven't played much of Halo or Cawadoody (beat a couple single-player campaigns, but almost nothing in the multiplayer).  I know that whenever plot n' shit happened in those games, it almost always came in the form of some guy talking about some shit I was supposed to be looking at, but never actually noticed unless there was a "PRESS X TO LOOK AT THING" button, or something.  That's one of my bigger complaints about the genre.

Also annoying: the rapidity at which you take damage and die.  It never feels like a fight, it just feels like you're punishing someone for being seen - or failing to do that, if you suck at aiming like I do.  Kinda like bullet hide n' seek.  I can appreciate that CoD n' stuff turn into sorta predictive/psychological games once you're proficient enough at aiming and knowing the maps and stuff, but yeah, I've just never gotten to that level.

Then again, I play Dust 514, and it's a terrible shooter, so what do I know.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 02:23:16 am »

You're wrong

Call of Duty is the worst shooter ever? You don't know what you're up against.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good slagging-on-CoD session as much as the next guy. There's been a lot of lazy, uncreative, games out of this series in the past few years. Of course, the reason they're samey is because the first Call of Duty was extremely influential, it nailed down a lot of concepts that still haven't been changed, even in shooters otherwise praised for their creativity. Call of Duty 4 was also seminal in its genre. It's just that now it's rather done to death.

In other words, I think you're just saying "Call of Duty is the WORST" because it's been cool to say that since Black Ops 2 or so. However, to the surprise of many gamers, it seems you might have missed the bandwagon. Not that you aren't entitled to your opinion if you have an actual reason, but if you wanted to look cool talking about Another Call of Trash, you should have done it when Ghosts came out.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 [3]