Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: On how far can Videogames go  (Read 13289 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: On how far can Videogames go
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 12:37:19 pm »

In a world where "I have candy get in the van" exists, this petition seems like it's signed by people who don't know a fucking thing about how nasty video games can get. People need to spend more time playing video games, instead of using them as a vehicle to feel like they're "doing something" "about the world." Depiction and treatment of woman I can get at least support as a laudable goal. Sanitizing what culturally can be made into a game? Stupid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 12:52:16 pm »

This entire thing is stupid.

Too many people nowadays only follow the notion that 'your freedom of expression ends when my feelings begin'

Hell, if we want to put games on the same playing field as other art, we clearly a lot of 'offensive works' out there.

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:56:21 pm »

But does that mean we should censer it?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 12:59:06 pm »

But does that mean we should censer it?
I don't think so. We'll all have forgotten about it within a few months after it's released.

Inb4 Hatred GOTY 2014

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 01:02:35 pm »

It means we should treat it as boring and banal -- which it is -- and move on with moving on. Slap it with the AO it probably deserves (i.e. the economic kiss of death) and leave it to languish. The game gets produced, it sells jack all and promptly sinks to the bottom of gaming memory, everybody wins.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 01:06:14 pm »

This game kinda reminds me of Postal 1, which did spawn the vulgar Postal 2

I mean, what other game allows me to kill Gary Coleman with diseased cow heads and fight an Indian storekeeper for milk?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 01:12:10 pm »

Probably a handful of crappy flash games, somewhere out there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 02:16:38 pm »

I'm just going to point out the fact that we live in capitalist society where people vote with their wallets. If you like it, mechanically or conceptually, buy it. If not, you can go on forgetting about its existance.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 02:56:02 pm »

Why does your username look so much like mine? For a second, I though I had created this thread.

Bloddy youngsters, stepping all over my lawn.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:23 pm »

Why does your username look so much like mine? For a second, I though I had created this thread.

Bloddy youngsters, stepping all over my lawn.

I was actually going around this board and saw your politics thread, started reading it and just went "Bloody hell, that does look a lot alike".

We could probably switch avatars for a day and no one would be the wiser.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 03:11:56 pm »

Threatening to censor it is pointless. Beyond violating freedom of speech, it's exactly the kind of attention that the developers want: A) it will never get censored and B) Besides a bad review, there is no such thing as negative publicity for a for-profit developer.

Treat it the same way you'd treat a moody teenager: don't give in to its bullshit. Let it languish for a while and it will die all on its own. But attention will make it flourish and grow like nothing else in this world.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 03:12:24 pm »

Having read the spoilered text in the OP, my first reaction is irritation at the writer.  Concepts like 'inclusion', gender equality' and the like really sceeve me, in part because of how one-sided and situational they can be.

Hatred depicts the killings of ethnic minorities and helpless women, as well as cops, white males, and almost everybody else.  There is nothing in this game that I have seen that is in any was exclusive or 'unequal' (and if there was thats another conversation and frankly an artistic choice on the part of the designers, not something we should be able to destroy to make some butt-hurt game maker happy).  At the risk of sounding sympathetic to a juvenile and pointless game I am in favor of letting them make their trash.  It doesnt look to be a good game for doing anything other than making the violent fantasy more graphical.

I believe that it will capture the attention of those already interested in violence, but aside from making the violence more brutal and upfront it doesnt do anything.  Hell, as far as concepts go, this game is old.  Postal old.  The offensive part is solely in its perceived callous cruelty.  We have conceptual and abstract games doing what this has done and worse for many, many years.  DF is magnitudes more violent, and cruel, and games like Destroy All Humans and GTA have long given you the chance to torture civilians.  Torture and Sadism is not a new concept to games.

---

Hatred is apparently about the equal killing of all, something many video games substitute.  Lets not pretend this is about gender equality.  If you want to be equal, lets be equal and not try to play the innocent bystander when a game broaches the subject.  This is about its violent content.  Not racial undertones.  Or was, until somebody brought it there.  >:(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:14:35 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »

I just noticed that the person quoted in the OP apparently created a petition. Since when has a petition ever actually done anything? Especially in the gaming world, and doubly especially when freedom of speech and/or censorship are concerned?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 03:16:08 pm »

Treat it the same way you'd treat a moody teenager: don't give in to its bullshit. Let it languish for a while and it will die all on its own.
You'd make a terrible parent :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 03:27:29 pm »

Treat it the same way you'd treat a moody teenager: don't give in to its bullshit. Let it languish for a while and it will die all on its own.
You'd make a terrible parent :P
Damn, now I want to quote that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8