Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: Wight [ISG/TSG]  (Read 18462 times)

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: Wight [ISG]
« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2014, 09:13:48 pm »

Hmm, Squirrels and the cave sound good, we can begin this magical lesson as soon as I am not ready to drop dead of hunger. We can stay at the cabin if you wish, but the risk of discovery and subsequent bad things happening is there.
+1
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:27 am »

Hmm, Squirrels and the cave sound good, we can begin this magical lesson as soon as I am not ready to drop dead of hunger. We can stay at the cabin if you wish, but the risk of discovery and subsequent bad things happening is there.
+1
+1

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2014, 06:34:09 pm »

Text Update

"The cave," you say.  "As much as I love attracting attention, I'd rather make a big entrance than waste my grand reveal on a bunch of woodcutters.  Hunt along the way, will you?"

"Right you are, boss," says Erik.  He picks up and sheathes his sword and the pair of you head through the woods.  Erik picks up a handful of stones and as you go occasionally launches them at tree branches or distant bushes.  About one in five throws results in a stunned woodland creature, which you drain for sustenance.  It isn't revitalising in the way that sapient life force is, but it quenches your hunger.  In between these periodic hunts, the pair of you speak.

"Teach me about magic, then, servant."

"Well, boss, the first thing I should say is that this isn't wizardry."  You give him a wry look.  "Hey, don't get me wrong, this is still magic.  It just doesn't work the same.  A different flavour of magic, you understand?"

"Elaborate."

"Alright.  There's, what, three different kinds of magic I can think of?  There's miracles, what the clerics do.  I don't really understand it but from what I understand they sort of act as focuses or vessels for their gods, and the gods do the magic through them.  Tends to be quite complex magic, since there's a higher power guiding it.  Then there's wizardry.  Wizards have this sort of magic that draws power from the world, or from crystals or something.  Not entirely sure.  Some of them get power from doing deals with spirits.  Either way, their magic tends to be quite simple.  Not weak, just very straightforward.  Healing isn't their bag, but they can make fire, create rain and whatnot.

"Finally, there's what I do.  I'm a minstrel or bard, so I guess you'd call it bardic magic.  It works through song."

"How does magic work through song?  That seems ridiculous."

"Well, it's not really us doing the magic.  You know I mentioned spirits earlier?  Well, they're everywhere and they're mostly invisible.  I don't know what their deal is, except that they're all naturals when it comes to magic.  You can't talk directly to most of them either, but they seem to be at least vaguely intelligent.  I know this much; they get bored, and they do deals.

"That's what bardic magic is.  You make a very simple pact, of sorts, with a spirit.  You play it music, and it does you a favour.  Usually a single, specific spell.  I can only assume that spirits are bored to tears, but by and large they're reliable."

"So all minstrels can do this?"

"Gods, no.  You can't just play a pretty tune and do magic.  There's a step in between.  So you know mana?"

"I... am aware of the concept.  A sort of internal magic."

"Kind of like that.  Wizards consider it the basic 'fuel' of magic.  Well, you have a certain amount in you - you won't know how much unless you exhaust it, and it recovers while you sleep or do this particular type of meditation that I'm not familiar with.  Anyway, the trick is that you release a bit of this mana from yourself while you play or sing, and the music changes it so that the spirits can hear it."

"So the spirits understand the words of the song?"

"Honestly don't know.  Probably not.  I know you need to have the right intention when you sing or play, though, so you need to think about what you want while playing.  Songs usually work best for that, because lyrics."

"So teach me a song, then."

"Eh, it's not that simple.  I can demonstrate a song, and I can teach you how to channel the mana, but you've got to try it for yourself to try and attract a spirit who'll bind itself to you.  We'll start with a little light spell, pretty much all spirits can do that, so you can learn this anywhere."

Erik spends about half an hour explaining how to sense mana within yourself, and how to channel it.  It takes some practice, and you're not even sure you've got it right by the time he moves on.

"Now the trick is, you've got to mean it.  Here's the one I sing..."  Erik starts playing on his guitar as he sings.

"Glimmering of stars above,
Light my heart, light my love,
Spin your threads of shining bright,
Give to me the gift of light.

Shim'ring, glowing, gleaming, flowing,
Pool your pow'r within my arms,
Shining, blinding, dazzling, binding
Light that heals all harms."

Between the first and second verse, you see just a wisp of silvery light around the head of Erik's guitar.  As the song progresses, more and more wisps join it until it becomes a clearly gleaming ball of silvered light.  Something about it seems to have the quality of starlight, and it casts a white sheen onto the forest around you.

You stare in quiet wonder at the globe, your face a mask not to betray your feelings.

"Now you try," Erik says.  You take a deep breath, trying to channel your mana and repeat his words.

"Glimmering of stars above..."

You sing the song through, then again and a third time to no avail.  Nothing happens.

"It's alright," says Erik.  "Sometimes it can take days to -"

"No," you say.  "The words feel wrong."  You take another breath.

"Raging flame of heat and light,
Humble me before your might,
Spread your wings of scarring fire,
Terror in my heart inspire.

Burning, peeling, scarring, screaming,
Hatred flow and never cease,
Blist'ring, frying, howling, dying,
Join with me and bring release!"

You stretch out a hand as you sing, and tentatively at first you see orange flickerings and ribbons in your palm.  As the song progresses, you see streams of flame course and dance in a spiral, building and building until you hold a tiny, miniature sun in your grasp.  It casts a warm, orange glow on your trees about you.  The fire is cold, light but not heat, but to this light you feel connection.

"Oh.  Wow.  I really wasn't kidding about it taking days.  Well done.  Ah, that should last about an hour, maybe longer."  There is a slight lack of enthusiasm to Erik's voice, as if he is unsure whether or not this is reducing his life expectancy.  He gestures ahead, to a hillock from which a cave mouth emerges.  "Well, here we are.  Dawn's not long now, mind."

A glance overhead proves the truth of his words.  The sky has turned from a black to a dull blue, threatening the glimmer of dawn.  Still, a quick investigation of the cave proves it spacious, comprised of about three large natural caverns and only slightly damp.  This might be a good time to turn in, or at least to disappear into the caverns.

"Ah, if it's all the same to you, boss, I'd like to catch a bit of supper for myself and perhaps get a nap during the day?"

"Sure.  I'll kill you if you aren't back by the evening."

"Right.  Thanks, boss.  What is the plan for tomorrow night?"

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells/Powers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Minions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lair (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2014, 07:51:30 pm »

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS, Now that means us players need actual skill which would translate to skill in game, when it comes to learning bardic magic, anyway.

Don't overdo the magic for now, We need practice before we go Blowing our energy on random crap. See about any towns nearby, and if a squirrel cowl would be enough to conceal our identity.

You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2014, 07:56:17 pm »

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS, Now that means us players need actual skill which would translate to skill in game, when it comes to learning bardic magic, anyway.

Don't overdo the magic for now, We need practice before we go Blowing our energy on random crap. See about any towns nearby, and if a squirrel cowl would be enough to conceal our identity.
+1

((I agree it is so cool!))
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2014, 05:23:44 am »

Wow. You know you're great at writing when you can make the basic light spell truly epic! :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 04, 2014, 03:51:04 pm »

Shoot I got back late. I was gonna vote for the woodcutters' lodge. well, I guess it is available for later.

Anyway, good one so far.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2014, 10:17:31 pm »

You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2014, 06:03:24 am »

This is a brilliant idea, +1
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 03, 2015, 02:50:45 am »

Text Update

You ask Erik about any nearby towns.  He explains that the nearest settlement is a village called Edgefrith, about an hour's walk away on the edge of the forest.  It's mostly full of woodcutters and farmers, but there's a local smith who deals with horseshoes and such that is supposedly a retired adventurer.  Otherwise, the village is unwalled and has maybe four hundred people living in it.

A proper town would be a full night's walk away, and that would be Harrowstone.  Baron Harrow's fort is there, as well as the baron's soldiers, but that's also where most of the trade is in this corner of Wesshire.  Why, there's even an alchemist in Harrowstone, as well as a real cleric manning the shrine.  Clerics, Erik warns you, are both sworn to destroy the undead, and have special tools and spells that allow them to do so.

You dismiss him for the day, and he settles down for a nap.  About six hours later he gets up and goes hunting while you practice your singing and work on stitching together a simple hood from squirrel fur and sinew using a clumsily crafted squirrel bone needle.  [5,12] The attempt is laughable, and you destroy most of the fur before you get something that can even be called a hood with a straight face.  You have a messy, ugly looking thing that will fit over your head, but it will do.  At least you've learned a thing or two from this debacle.  Your Tailoring skill has increased!

You don't bother with sleep in the end; the cave shields you from the sun, and you don't have to force yourself to stay still all day because you are free to move around within the caverns.  The cave splits into a rough Y shape, with a fair sized entrance chamber, and then a small chamber off to one side and a large one off to the other.  Complete lack of creature comforts, but it's somewhere to keep out of the sun.

Erik returns around sunset, [Hunting: 2+2] empty-bellied and with nothing for you to drain.  Not a thing to catch all day.  The constant hunger is gnawing at you again, but you'll last the night.  You had better eat something before the night is done, though.  Speaking of which;

"What's the plan, boss?"

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wight [ISG/TSG]
« Reply #265 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:28 am »

Does he know of any attack or travel songs? Or any smaller villages farther away? We want to attack far away from our forest and then start attacking parallel to it so no-one suspects our base.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 03, 2015, 10:31:44 am »

((Yay! This is back! :D ... yea, I dont have any real suggestions currently))
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 03, 2015, 03:44:23 pm »

((Yay! This is back! :D ... yea, I dont have any real suggestions currently))
((You're welcome. My Bardic necromancy was successful.))

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 03, 2015, 04:26:49 pm »

Collect some rocks

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:14 pm »

Does he know of any attack or travel songs? Or any smaller villages farther away? We want to attack far away from our forest and then start attacking parallel to it so no-one suspects our base.

Erik frowns.  "Well, boss, bardic magic isn't really focused on attacking people.  At least, not directly.  Doesn't have the flashiness of wizard magic, see?  But a travel song, that I can do.  There's a song called the Vagabond that I use, keeps you full of energy and your breath up.  If you're travelling for a while, it improves your stamina and thus your overall speed increases.  Downside is, you need to keep singing it or variations of it every fifteen minutes or so if you want to keep the effect up.  Here, I'll sing you the first verse.

Give to me the life I love,
Let the lave go by me,
Give me to the heav'n above
And the byway nigh me,
Bed in the bush with stars to see,
Bread I dip in the ri-i-ver;
There's the life for a man like me...
There's the life for e-ver...

(*dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum-de...*)

Ahem.  Anyhow, smallest village I can think of here abouts would be Alderthorpe.  Maybe a hundred people there?  About three hours walk out.  Two and a half if we sing most of the way.  Really more of a collection of houses surrounded by sheep pastures."

While he's talking, you gather a dozen rocks, each a little smaller than a fist.  They bulk out your satchel a fair bit, though.

Bonus points to anyone who can identify this song and its composer without having to Google it.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19