Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Interest Check-Game of Thrones RPG (OOC Thread)  (Read 8308 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Interest Check-Game of Thrones RPG (OOC Thread)
« on: November 02, 2014, 03:38:18 pm »

Sign up Thread (Closed)-->http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145377.0
House Creation Thread--> http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145458.0

That means "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Is the title less confusing now? :P

Anyway, I mean the RPG made by Green Ronin. I've found a copy of the rulebook and am busy reading it...from what I can see, it's fairly interesting. It seems there's plenty of rules for creating not only characters, but their own noble houses as well-you actually design it, and roll up a history for it, and your adventures can benefit it...or not...

I like how their is both rules for combat (axing your enemy in the face) and intrigue (convincing your enemy to axe your other enemy in the face).

I might be interested in running a campaign-maybe a test one, to start. Given I've been re-reading the entire series (again), I'm certainly willing to see if it works out.

Just prodding for interest here. Who would want to play a game? What sort of setting do you think we could run?

I've got a few ideas off the top of my head...

-The Doom of Valyria (Players are members of a house in the ancient Freehold of Valyria, where the Targs originally escaped from an unspecified "Doom". Lots of room for creativity here, since what actually happened is still mostly a mystery in lore.)
-Alternate Reality/War of Five Kings (Players create a custom minor noble house that takes the place of one of the "canon" houses in Westeros, during the War of Five Kings-all players are part of the same house, and work cooperatively to raise their fortune... !!Fun!! ensues.)
-Sellswords (Instead of House, players create a Sellsword army. Could take place in any time...))
-[Kj1225 suggests] The Wall (Players are Black Brothers-the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls, the shields that guards the realms of men. Combat centered. Since everyone North of the wall wants you dead. And then, not quite dead.)

Interested Players
-Sheb
-Prophet
-KJ1225
-Scriver
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:15:17 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check-ASOIAF RPG
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 03:52:30 pm »

The AR and Sellswords ideas are definitely interesting. Heck, even just being put on the wall would be fun.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 03:54:30 pm »

The AR and Sellswords ideas are definitely interesting. Heck, even just being put on the wall would be fun.

I'll add to the list.

The Wall would certainly be a combat oriented campaign, but there could certainly still be room for intrigues.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »

Huh, anyone? :P

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 01:09:37 pm »

Would this be a group RPG or a bunch of independent players running around?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 01:12:16 pm »

Would this be a group RPG or a bunch of independent players running around?

A cooperative group RPG, most likely.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 01:14:16 pm »

I've never read the books but have watched the show a bit plus I looked up a tiny part of the lore so it might be fun going in blind. Unless your only looking for players who are more likely to know what's going on?
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check-Game of Thrones RPG
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 01:23:52 pm »

I've never read the books but have watched the show a bit plus I looked up a tiny part of the lore so it might be fun going in blind. Unless your only looking for players who are more likely to know what's going on?

No, how would it be more interesting, if you knew everything? Your character wouldn't-you could rely totally on GM lore and knowledge checks, along with general wiki-ing.

That being said, you would probably have more fun if you were into the setting.

For example, If your house Maester asks your character what his thoughts are on the Blackfyre Rebellion, it's not that you've read G.R.R's total written works on the subject, but if you get into Westeros enough that you actually have an opinion.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »

What I do know of the setting I do find interesting. If at any time you think I need to know more about the setting then you could point me towards the place on the internet that will allow me to research it.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 01:44:40 pm »

I'd be in. Why not set it during the War of the Five Kings (since it's the time period we're most familiar with), but we all are minor nobles/soldiers, maybe fighting one of the side campaign of the war?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 01:58:53 pm »

I'd be in. Why not set it during the War of the Five Kings (since it's the time period we're most familiar with), but we all are minor nobles/soldiers, maybe fighting one of the side campaign of the war?

That's one of the ideas I listed in the OP.

My idea was that the players could use the system to create their own noble House, and they would all be related or retainers of that House.

Now, I just need five players who can agree on a unified coat of arms, a house name, and a motto!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 02:16:05 pm »

Yeah, but I though that idea was to be one of the five Kings, while I was thinking of being more minor characters.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:21:13 pm »

Yeah, but I though that idea was to be one of the five Kings, while I was thinking of being more minor characters.

I have no intention of doing that-I was thinking, depending on what the players are, that they take a role in the war. But yes, a minor house was my intention.

I mean, if one of the players actually got to that point, they would have "won" the game... ;P

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 02:23:14 pm »

Nah, the win condition should be killing all the characters the player hates.  :P

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 02:30:30 pm »

Do we need a win condition? Maybe the goal could be to have our house survive as long as possible?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6