Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 457237 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #330 on: February 20, 2015, 01:36:37 am »

If they're wounded enough, their own babies would probably end up killing them. And they'll probably get at least some wounds each time they try to kill their own babies, so over time, wounds will stack up and the babies will win, and, if both of the initial stock are chained and you have some militiadwarves standing around to dispose of the remaining parent, you can probably breed enemy mounts.
It's more practical to have the babies drop down a floor. Greater survival rate and you don't have to kill the parents. I think there's a design for it somewhere.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 20, 2015, 11:27:03 am »

Non-sapient invader mounts can be tamed, but it's exceptionally dangerous to do so because even tame, they retain their status as enemies of your fort and civ. They'll still attack your civilians, but you can't send your militia to kill them without inciting a loyalty cascade since they are sort of members of your fort.

What you can do, though, is chain them up in a room whose only exit is cage-trapped, then capture and tame their spawn. Take inspiration from Sphalerite's sea serpent separation scheme.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 20, 2015, 11:32:12 am »

Non-sapient invader mounts can be tamed, but it's exceptionally dangerous to do so because even tame, they retain their status as enemies of your fort and civ. They'll still attack your civilians, but you can't send your militia to kill them without inciting a loyalty cascade since they are sort of members of your fort.

What you can do, though, is chain them up in a room whose only exit is cage-trapped, then capture and tame their spawn. Take inspiration from Sphalerite's sea serpent separation scheme.
I'll have to try this. It sounds really RP appropriate to capture enemy mounts and breed them in isolation, and then rear their young away from them.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 20, 2015, 11:35:07 am »

Also in case you have an egglaying invader mount/war animal, you're out of luck. They don't use nest boxes.

I don't think tame egglaying invader mounts use nest boxes are well.

And the children of enemy mounts are considered habitants of your fort, so they promptly fight with their parents.

Having the parent on a chain and on a 1 z-level wall helps. Maybe more than 1z, considering babies are small and don't take much damage from falls.

Well maybe elephant babies would take damage but eh.

Filling the enemy mount enclave with cage traps should do the trick as well, so would have an ingenious design with pressure plates and bridges and stuff.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:42:59 am by Naryar »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 20, 2015, 11:46:00 pm »

I saw a dorf sleeping in his neighbour's bedroom.

He is blissful after sleeping in a good bedroom.

All their bedrooms are 1x1 and are adjacent to each other.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 21, 2015, 07:22:25 am »

all about the bed quality^^ perhaps you stukc a masterwork bed in there?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 22, 2015, 08:52:56 am »

Military dorfs can't  feed their pets when they are training although the dorfs themselves can eat and drink without a problem. I recruited a speardwarf who had a pet ewe. Then I noticed the ewe was starving in the meeting hall. As soon as I removed her from military, she ran to the food stockpile to fetch some food for her pet.

So I locked up all their pets in one big pasture room. ::)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 22, 2015, 06:01:55 pm »

Animal trainers can form grudges with the animals they train, and will be annoyed when talking to them.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 22, 2015, 06:52:25 pm »

Burrowed dwarves are not rescued (both injured dwarf and hospital was out of burrow).

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 23, 2015, 02:09:50 am »

Remove your mayor from position won't end his mandate. But I haven't tried what will happen if you ignore them...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 23, 2015, 02:10:49 pm »

Sometimes dwarves with high humor will have for a thought "Have you heard the one about the [ANIMAL] and the [OTHER_ANIMAL]?"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 23, 2015, 02:31:48 pm »

Sometimes dwarves with high humor will have for a thought "Have you heard the one about the [ANIMAL] and the [OTHER_ANIMAL]?"
:o
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 23, 2015, 02:51:15 pm »

So far I've seen "Have you heard the one about the foul blendecs and the water buffalo?" and "Have you heard the one about the jackal and the giant anaconda?"

I imagine one is a joke about how both animals smell similarly and the other one is a story where a clever jackal tricks its way out of being eaten.

The Mystical Tim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 23, 2015, 03:21:29 pm »

I have a Dwarf who has become stuck in the input zone of one of my pumps for raising water in my moat. Despite the fact he's going to die of starvation/dehydration soon, he's perfectly happy with this due to the calming nature of the surrounding waterfall.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 23, 2015, 06:58:59 pm »

Minecart stops can now be set to dump in different directions after they are built.  So I set up a simple "dump refuse into the volcano" setup by setting up a minecart QSP next to a hatch with the stop set to "no dump".  Then once it is filled up, open the hatch and set the stop to dump that direction and it dumps it into the hole.  Also dumps cages of beasties I don't want just as easily, without messing with garbage dumping zones.

RRSR
RRH

With R being the refuse piles and H the hatch.  The dwarfs load up the minecart as if it was going to dump into the recieving pile, but it ends up getting dumped in the volcano instead.  And it gets dumped at my will after I lock the room so no one decides to go lava surfing (and nothing flies in from outside because of the hatch).  I'm not sure if dwarves look into minecarts as they are loading them, so I'm not sure if it is cutting down on "was terrified seeing a goblin die" from seeing corpses or not.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 148