Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 457295 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2015, 01:37:06 pm »

Hen they won't stop beating it up even as civillians, use the civilian retreat m then a thingy to make them run off.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 17, 2015, 12:42:25 am »

Hen they won't stop beating it up even as civillians, use the civilian retreat m then a thingy to make them run off.
Indeed. The civilians seems considerably more violent this time around. I've had a few instances of the civvies going out of their way to beat on wild animals with their bare hands rather than fleeing in panic like I'm used to.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 18, 2015, 11:22:48 pm »

Animals can't be trained in a constructed cage, even if planted in an animal training activity zone. But an elephant can be trained in the week it takes to haul the cage across the map to the kennel, even if the hauler and trainer never meet.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 19, 2015, 02:41:19 am »

Animals can't be trained in a constructed cage, even if planted in an animal training activity zone. But an elephant can be trained in the week it takes to haul the cage across the map to the kennel, even if the hauler and trainer never meet.

As far as I know they can, animals in cages are just not continuously trained, but only when they lapse to wild.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 19, 2015, 04:04:34 am »

Animals in chains don't seem to be trained either.  I was trying to domesticate some monitor lizards, and had a male and female both chained next to a nest box.  After three not fertilized clutches, I began to suspect that the chains were interfering with the process (maybe they hook the chain to the geldables?), and removed them.  It seems, however, that training had lapsed to wild, and though the dedicated animal trainer took a train monitor job seemingly the instant the chain was removed, it didn't stop the monitor from picking a fight with the chain hauler and getting it's head chopped off by a passing axedwarf.  Oh well, time to try to trap another male...

About the fertilization thing, when does that happen for egglayers?  At the nest box, or earlier?  Because I know he could reach her, but I'm not sure he could reach her nest box.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 19, 2015, 06:56:40 am »

The two kids in the fortress will join in the fight if their parents are fighting as well. Nice to know.

They can keep going for a while, as they'll be brought food and drink. Eventually they'll get drowsy, and sometimes they stop just inside viewing distance and blank out completely, not triggering any food or water jobs. I'll have to see if a civilian alert unsticks them. Nice tip.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 19, 2015, 07:22:47 am »

wild animals can be trained in cages, but that "training" only consists of the trainer bribing the animal with some meat/fish/plant. after that the animal will be semi wild or tame and becomes trap avoidant. any further training wont happen until the beast falls back to becoming wild. for further training you have to release the beast from its cage (i advise you to take them to an abandones mineshaft or such that you can easily shut off/flood with magma) there you can train it further to become a raging beast of war... i really advise you further to pasture certain dangerous species in that mining shaft (things like hydras, rocs and dragons) cause these things tend to go on a rampage without forgetting their training, but somehow isolating them in a room here no dwarf goes except the trainer kinda seems to work for me

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 19, 2015, 02:43:42 pm »

Today I found out that you can designate tree fruit and nuts to be picked up from the ground without using zones.  Yeah, sometimes I'm kinda slow on the uptake.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 19, 2015, 02:52:25 pm »

wild animals can be trained in cages, but that "training" only consists of the trainer bribing the animal with some meat/fish/plant. after that the animal will be semi wild or tame and becomes trap avoidant. any further training wont happen until the beast falls back to becoming wild. for further training you have to release the beast from its cage (i advise you to take them to an abandones mineshaft or such that you can easily shut off/flood with magma) there you can train it further to become a raging beast of war... i really advise you further to pasture certain dangerous species in that mining shaft (things like hydras, rocs and dragons) cause these things tend to go on a rampage without forgetting their training, but somehow isolating them in a room here no dwarf goes except the trainer kinda seems to work for me

Creatures that are an enemy of your civilization remain so even if they're tamed. This is why you can't train enemy mounts or wild animals that have killed a dwarf.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2015, 03:01:15 pm »

jepp enemys of a civ remain that way. but IF you could kill a goblin rider with... say a ballista arrow/bolt/thrown object, and the animal afterwards runs into a cage trap... would it still count towards enemy of civ? even if it has no kill at all of dwarfes... (well you have to be lucky as armok for that to happen) so IF that would happen, could we tame the mount? or are any enemy mounts pre declared as enemys of civ when they first arrive on the map... it would be hilariously pleasing to let the mounts of the last goblin invasion kill the next invasion^^

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2015, 03:13:57 pm »

Today I found out that you can designate tree fruit and nuts to be picked up from the ground without using zones.  Yeah, sometimes I'm kinda slow on the uptake.
Woah what?  How?  Do they do something silly like start at the NW corner of the map and have to walk a long ways?  If so, zones around the entrance might still be more practical.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2015, 03:17:37 pm »

nah i think he meant to designate it with gather plant... if they would pickup ANY fruit when you have no zones designated... that would be extraordinary unpractical^^

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2015, 03:20:19 pm »

Also, enemy mounts.  They can be "tamed" but remain aggressive.  Will they breed?  Will their children retain the enemy of your civ tag?  If not, they can be easily domesticated if you keep the parents isolated and dispose of them when you get domestic breeding stock.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 19, 2015, 03:26:32 pm »

well you would have to chain them, or else they would kill their own puppys, cause they would be tagged as belonging to your civ XD that would be somehow sadistic to force enemy mounts to eat their own children... well that would be if nature wouldnt do that naturally in some cases^^

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 20, 2015, 12:40:12 am »

If they're wounded enough, their own babies would probably end up killing them. And they'll probably get at least some wounds each time they try to kill their own babies, so over time, wounds will stack up and the babies will win, and, if both of the initial stock are chained and you have some militiadwarves standing around to dispose of the remaining parent, you can probably breed enemy mounts.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 148