Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 449212 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #930 on: November 22, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »

Dorfs who are assigned the 'Wood Cutting' labor will carry a battle axe at all times, not just when slaying trees, and will actually use it to fight as part of their civilian equipment.  Assigning every peasant to this labor allows you to quickly create an armed (though unarmored) population.

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 23, 2016, 10:36:09 am »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:23:37 am by fucduck »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 23, 2016, 06:29:20 pm »

This is true, although when I begin a large mining project, I typically want it done quickly.  Short of having 50+ Dorfs as Miners, I found the plebs simply get in the way of my professional miners.  That said... can a civy dual-wield axe & pick?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 23, 2016, 09:42:32 pm »

That said... can a civy dual-wield axe & pick?
No, you can't have more than one of mining/woodcutter/hunter enabled on the same dwarf.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 25, 2016, 09:23:55 pm »

Dogs appears to be very effective at killing undead hair.

The stray dog bites water buffalo cow hair in the lower body and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Water buffalo cow hair pushes the stray dog in the right front leg, bruising the fat!

The stray dog bites water buffalo cow hair in the left front leg and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The stray dog scratches water buffalo cow hair in the lower body!

Water buffalo cow hair pushes the stray dog in the lower body, bruising the fat!

The stray dog bites water buffalo cow hair in the upper body, but the attack passes right through!
The stray dog bites water buffalo cow hair in the head and the severed parts sails off in an arc!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 25, 2016, 09:37:33 pm »

Trivial findings:

You can order rose gold mechanisms to be made through manager at mechanics workshop.

This will cost you fuel

But you will get access to magenta and teal lever colours

Or perhaps stretch gold/platinum/aluminium into 4x as many super-valuable mechanisms. Or perhaps get more weight than normal out of gold, by making rose gold mechanisms - using 75% of gold to produce 20% of the weight per gold bar, for 6,6% improvement.

Cramming 4 kids into 1x2 minecart dodge training in 43.05 can result in 1 of them dodging once and then nothing, at least for a bit. Boring.

As I thought, it is indeed possible to exploit diagonal movement for endpoint automatic return to sender (i.e. with track stop, without danger of hitting dwarf nor requiring their labour).

Course, with the sideways velocity of just a diagonal upramp the return speed is rather small. Rather than crossing over, it couldn't muster the velocity to pass into hole

Though it would, if you used track/floor...Or alternate velocity boosting arrangement for different input/output.

(opposing NSE and NSW for boost)

'course, this used dwarven push. Different input speed, different offload point.
Watch as some dwarves fulfill their dreams of creating great works of art and mastering a skill while pretty much working as slaves. lol
After drowning in artifact furniture in a generational fortress, I've discovered YMMV on this.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 27, 2016, 02:33:58 am »

I noticed my cook cooked rendered fat with mountain goat fat laced with water [9].
How did that happen? I don't know.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 27, 2016, 02:03:20 pm »

Rain over the butcher's shop? I've had rendered fats laced with goblin blood. Tangy!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 27, 2016, 03:00:37 pm »

Black pudding.
One wheel short of a wagon

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 28, 2016, 05:19:12 pm »

Impulse ramps for propelling minecarts are often built as angled ramps

##
╝╚

but those tend to be one-direction when working with carts going slower than derail speed. However, since the only strict condition for accelerating ramps is that they must have exactly one link to "floor" while the number of links to "wall" doesn't matter - as long as at least one link is present - it's also trivially easy to build impulse ramps that don't put up a significant obstacle against cart movement:

##
╠╣
##

the two ramps accelerate towards each other, and if there's floor to the right and left of the ramps, carts can pass through unhindered. This exact setup can be used as a dual-direction linear accelerator; carts coming from either direction will pass through and leave on the other side with a modest speed gain (unless moving at 70k+ speed to begin with). A "triple-branch" accelerating ramp can be combined with an angled one to "capture" carts and force them to leave in one direction only.

Picking up on Fleeting Frame's work building long-period repeaters based on moving a cart off a track stop by (many) repeated pushes from a lighter cart, i built a powered long-period delay/repeater using the same basic concept, with a ramp instead of a trackstop:

^▲R#

Basic setup: a lighter cart sits on top of the roller pushing west, a heavier cart on the ramp accelerating east (preferably a NSE ramp like indicated above - this way we can keep everything on the same z-level). When the pushed cart is twice as heavy as the pushing cart and we use a lowest-speed roller, the cart on the ramp is pushed "up" a bit less than 100 distance every step. Using a silver cart (419 weight) to push and a gold cart with a few stone blocks (839, just over double) on the ramp, the gold cart took ~1800 steps to get off the ramp, one and a half dwarven days. If power is cut before the gold cart has left the ramp, both carts will settle on the eastmost sub-coordinates of their tiles and need to start all over again once power returns.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 28, 2016, 09:44:00 pm »

I usually try to avoid using power where possible, but it does give a neat way to turn it off on same z-level -
other ways that spring to mind are by having the pressure plate have upper weight and using a cart heavier than that as blocker, or for the two-ramp 18-step bouncer version using a door on the opposite end.

And hm. ~1800 suggests around 55 steps/push, bit less than expected 79 but it's annoying to measure this without pre-built clock....Wait, it's on ramp >_>. 79*0,70707=55,85. Impressive measuring accuracy, then.

Could apply same principle in a couple ways for two same-speed opposing pushes.
Bit of a mess to setup, though could potentially yield even longer maximum cycle lengths with superheavy carts resulting in +1 or -1 trades so that a heavier cart (lets say 3472 urist cart) must first travel across 100000 subtile positions of their own ramp 1 at time before starting to push the lighter (lets say 3471 urist cart) cart 1 sub-tile at time across another 100k.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 29, 2016, 07:26:23 am »

will settle on the eastmost sub-coordinates of their tiles and need to start all over again once power returns

Eastmost makes sense to me. But will it be the same coordinates each time (regardless of history)? My understanding was (never watched with a script) that when a movement to the outside is impossible the non-leaving cart remains in the place it had before the turn. Also, does the cart on the ramp not accelerate downwards or is that velocity never acted on, because it is cancelled by getting a push each turn?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 29, 2016, 03:55:37 pm »

I believe so, but quicker to test it than speculate!

Setup:

If doing without script, could test by sending minecart off to the side afterwards (perhaps with another collision) and then giving it most minimal southward push (maybe with really light cart) to see if it crosses over tile border.

Result:
Northern cart stops on the tile border (moving from 90 to 90,5) exactly, no matter the position of southern cart.

The hitting makes southern cart scrape right on top of wall. Per each settling, it sends a push impact to the wall (relevant if you used not a wall but another minecart).

As for the velocity, it does accelerate "downwards" - it's what causes the settling to the tile border when turned off, after all - though whether it is acted on probably depends on build order. It will also get massratio*10k push each turn...Build order doesn't matter much, though. I think it goes like this:

Older on younger: the cart gets massratio*10k speed, which is then mostly - but not completely - nullified by opposite direction ramp acceleration and floor friction.

Younger on older: The cart gets the ramp movement once, after which it is almost entirely nullified by massratio*10k speed.
If it had settled against the border of tile previously, it doesn't get even that.

Then, continue as in previous case (there's no lingering speed as collisions overwrite speed).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:03:29 pm by Fleeting Frames »

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 01, 2016, 01:54:12 pm »

Vampires do not suffer bad thoughts from breathing miasma.

Magma can only fall into a tile occupied by a door from above when the door is opened. This is a pretty good trap for whoever opens the door.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 02, 2016, 07:26:37 am »

Wow @NonconsensualSurgery those are super non-trivial!  Cool  :o  I wonder if you could use routes to discourage dwarfs from using the trapped door.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 148