Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 457069 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #735 on: June 15, 2016, 06:07:32 am »

If you put a guy in bronze armor up against opposing ramp-bouncing featherwood minecart, he'll very quickly (much faster than wooden spears) gain dodger, armor user (initially bit more than half as fast, but as dodger improves drops off), brown wounds, then yellow wounds (featherwood minecart is heavy enough to bruise through bronze armor), then starts to have the wounds heal..... (I picked someone who was very flimsy, quite suspectible to disease and very slow to heal).

Clothed dwarves will quickly get yellow and red wounds, of course. Still, almost 1 armor user and 5 dodger in under an in-game week. (Maybe 2 opposing minimum-speed rollers would be less deadly enough? The cart does go up to 35k on the ramp, iirc)

Also, apparently, dwarves can maintain "sleep" job while dodging a minecart, though they don't actually get the Z status that indicates sleep.

Still, an interesting 10 minutes, though the setup to avoid braining children,babies and miners while braining everyone armored else may be somewhat micromanagey. And for shield training, spears are still necessary I guess (Dude did have shield in inventory when I stationed him, but no exp.)

Edit: Apparently the world gen was long enough that the armored test subject is also legendary in 9 different kinds of music, poetry and dance.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:21:41 am by Fleeting Frames »

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #736 on: June 15, 2016, 01:21:02 pm »

In adventure mode, if your adventurer's species (and that of all your companions) has [CANNOT_UNDEAD], zombies will not aggro towards you. I learned that by complete mistake.
Adding this token after they are hostile does not make them stop being hostile. That one was a little less accidental.
Slightly related: Having an intelligent creature with innate reading skill makes them very prone to taking up necromancy, it seems like.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: nonsensical euphemisms] [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 16, 2016, 04:35:00 pm »

If a minecart is immersed in magma, and contains magma, you can dump water on it to form obsidian, dig out the minecart, and have the magma in the cart perfectly intact.
@: You: "Can you tell me where I can find me?"
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 16, 2016, 04:39:34 pm »

If a minecart is immersed in magma, and contains magma, you can dump water on it to form obsidian, dig out the minecart, and have the magma in the cart perfectly intact.

But does the minecart have [833] magma, [833] water, or obsidian inside?

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 16, 2016, 06:02:27 pm »

(knowledge)

[833] magma. The liquids in the carts are apparently unaffected if the cart is full.

I wonder if putting a magma-filled cart in a pool of water would make it generate steam from the heat, if it exists.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:04:12 pm by Prop42 »
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #740 on: June 16, 2016, 08:25:32 pm »

I once did this, and ended up with obsidian [833].
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 16, 2016, 09:43:23 pm »

(knowledge)

[833] magma. The liquids in the carts are apparently unaffected if the cart is full.

I wonder if putting a magma-filled cart in a pool of water would make it generate steam from the heat, if it exists.
I once had the idea of trying to melt a river by magmacart stationing.

It didn't melt the ice next to it, not even the water-to-ice-wall I dumped on it by bucket. Needs either something burning, or more simply 2-high pumpstack on the map edge if lava river is undesirable.

Though theoretically, it should heat up the other items on tile to 21°C according to dfhack.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 17, 2016, 09:05:34 am »

A dwarf who is praying when they have a strange mood will stay in a temple and not move at all until they go insane. I'm assuming this is a bug.

Also, if a migrant wave consists of only a single migrant, the text will say "A migrant has arrived" instead of "Some migrants have arrived".
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:07:51 am by Prop42 »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 17, 2016, 09:09:49 am »

Some civilisations have a habit of constructing temples, letting a night creature take them over and rule from them, then razing the temple after the night creature leaves the next year.

Sometimes it's not even night creatures: they do it after humans rule from a temple as well, though don't wait for the human to leave.

Weird.

EDIT: a few years later, a few decades into worldgen, and they don't even wait to have their temples occupied or occasionally profaned by evil creatures before razing them to the ground. Seriously, wtf? Is the AI evolving? :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:12:42 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 17, 2016, 09:54:55 am »

If you assign a corpse to be dumped before it is actually found by a dwarf, dwarves can still dump it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 17, 2016, 07:16:23 pm »

E2: And why are humans exhibiting wilderness creature behaviour by going round and devouring their pets and livestock?
Those are werebeasts. Look closely.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #746 on: June 18, 2016, 03:13:09 am »

SMR floats
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 18, 2016, 09:31:36 am »

You can assign Honey Bees [12345] to a constructed cage/terrarium. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to actually let the bees be moved from their hive to the cage. I guess I'll have to find something else to do with these elves...

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 18, 2016, 11:15:37 am »

SMR floats
The fact that this is trivial is genuinely hilarious to me.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 18, 2016, 12:44:02 pm »

Elvises...I mean, elves and maybe humans(unsure, they may have just killed themselves) don't like to expand to cold temperatures (4°C), even into their respective biomes(taiga/plains), but unlike humans and dwarves can and will spawn in untamed wilds.
Spoiler: World painter fun (click to show/hide)

Edit: After raising the temperatures, it seems humans find savage areas good for tombs only, I guess?

Despite the ocean, the humans and elves do meet at times, though.

Spoiler: "Ocean" test embark (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:11:39 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 148