Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 457208 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #375 on: March 03, 2015, 10:47:21 am »

123? Seriously?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 03, 2015, 11:57:03 am »

Yeah...
I noticed that in advanced world gen you could set the megabeast count up to 1000.  So I decided to see what would happen if you set it that high in a pocket world.  The result was the complete collapse of every civilization by year 20, many were destroyed in the first year, like this elf kingdom.
Right now I'm trying to find out if this many megabeasts will attack a player made fortress, or just the ones made during world gen.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 03, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »

And I thought my setting of 70 megabeasts in a small region was a lot. And yes, that setting tends to weaken or kill off civilizations, that's why I start with an equal amount of civs. (Having Fortress Defense helps in having lots of civilizations)

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 04, 2015, 01:06:12 am »

I noticed three dorfs can spar together.

The broker + another axedwarf vs The militia commander
To highlight this, non-soldiers can be drawn into sparring. Even animals, if they wander into the training area. Put a weapon rack in a high-volume area and watch your troops take random (practice) whacks at whoever happens to be nearby.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:54 am »

When a minecart on a ramp collides with one immediately adjacent to the ramp, the compensatory speed loss (a.k.a. checkpoint effect) doesn't apply.

Code: [Select]
##########
═▲═▲═▲═▲═▲
All ramps with NS track

Sufficiently fast cart (>80k) comes from the left.

Unhindered, it goes through to the east, gets displaced ~1/20 tile to the south on each ramp but gains no southward velocity.
When minecarts are placed on each flat floor tile, moving carts pass on the impulse (stopping on the ramp and moving off in a straight line to the south later), but the fifth will typically move off the line to the south instead of pushing the next cart, because it has too much southward velocity - those are passed on un-neutralised and thus accumulate, about 5k southward per ramp.

This showed up when testing a setup to quickly set multiple carts in motion with a single trigger cart.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 04, 2015, 09:17:30 am »

Holy shit. Magma now kills zombies. Can someone test this in a fort? Maybe with husks, too?

EDIT: Fire works too. This is huge, guys.
Yes, it was my primary defense in a recent fort against zombies.  Absolutely liquified dozens of them at a time.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 04, 2015, 01:12:09 pm »

-- Delete This --
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 04, 2015, 09:06:58 pm »

I reclaimed a fortress and found some random oddities.

1) Some military dorfs didn't use shield despite I had plenty of non-forbidden shields form previous fort.
2) My marksdwarves didn't equip crossbows. The stocks menu still showed all the crossbows, but the military menu didn't, not even in red.
3) After a goblin siege, one of the gobbo corpse had lied in my corridor for months but no one wanted to touch it. My dorfs couldn't melt its copper bow, nor could they dump it. Again the stocks menu showed it but my dorf just couldn't see it.

1) 2) were fixed by dumping and reclaiming the items.
3) The corpse and its belongings were over a workshop. I removed the workshop and the problem was fixed.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 05, 2015, 11:17:07 am »

Miasma can spread downward, as far as 4 tiles. Gonna need a hatch for that refuse pile in the cavern ceiling.

Also, dwarves can witness bodies through 50 tiles of solid rock.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 05, 2015, 11:51:37 am »

Yet they won't notice that one militiadwarf who sparred through the wall of the barracks into the cavern lake, and remains there, dead, less than 10 tiles away for several years.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:21 pm »

Glass cages in magma-submerged traps vanish. (Melted or visited by firesnakes?)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 05, 2015, 10:29:02 pm »

Manager will not manage workshop orders from their predecessor.
And they won't manage workshop orders before the office is assigned to them.

So if you want to fire a manager who is on break, be sure to remove the old orders.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:30:35 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 05, 2015, 11:17:48 pm »

Ok, so they can't see through rock. They can see a death happen from the site of death, even if it was 3 years ago, as if it were just occurring. Someone who "doesn't handle stress well" and "is fearful in the face of danger" will see it every single time they pass by.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 06, 2015, 08:53:29 am »

So, in an extremely old small fort, every single spot will cause PTSD in dwarves?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:26 am »

Most become inured to it after the first experience, and with enough of those experiences, some of them become hardened individuals. But some of them are more sensitive than others, repeatedly drop jobs at the same spot, and the same horrified thought is pushed to the top of their thought stack (or queue?) These don't seem to be common, but probably bear watching in case they come completely unhinged over it.

Also, if the body is properly buried it will prevent that, but dwarves won't bury all sentient species. It's also prevented when the cause of death is atomsmashing.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 148