Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Skies of Alzeran [7] - *THOOMP*  (Read 17400 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Skies of Alzeran [9/??]
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2014, 02:23:44 am »

I just reread your reply to cptn kaladin. My weapons were designed thinking I'd have 100 weapon points of weaponry active at any given time, not mass. I've tested them as they are now, and I realized I will likely be flailing wildly at the air like a dying animal rather than hitting any targets, which renders damage moot. May I also redraw those stats while settling the power?
Same thing for me. I will be making some adjustments.

Just like to be sure that the weapons are capped based on massiveness, and not on total stat points. Because really, the later makes much more sense, seeing as massiveness only limits the damage you can do, which means that if it's capped on massiveness you can basically amp up speed, reliability and specialization up to the max without any real restriction.

As an example, here's my ship reworked to take optimal advantage of such a rule. If the cap was thus based on massiveness, I would be able to release this many weapons at once.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:50:58 am by 10ebbor10 »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2014, 06:56:56 am »

Laputa is edited to fit the defense limitations you mentioned.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2014, 10:18:29 am »

Well, I could make it based on total stat points, but originally I'd had this image of a sky castle wobbling about if it had too many massive heavy weapons on it, and it sounded very silly :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2014, 10:52:17 am »

This way you can have a huge amount of very small weapons, or fiveish big weapons. But the small weapons won't actually hurt people very well, because massiveness is related to damage.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2014, 10:58:16 am »

...Wait, WHAT?! The weapon cap is based off of massiveness, not total stats?!

Well, I'm massively changing my loadout.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 11:00:38 am »

Also, massiveness is not entirely related to destructiveness or defensive stats, just the minimum massiveness. The weapon can be as big as you feel like.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 11:02:26 am »

Well, good news is some of us will be able to hit something some of the time. :P

I've decided to just make the weapon stability, propulsion and castle integrity bonuses from my power based on a 1d4 roll per charge spent. Weapons will be adjusted shortly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 12:15:01 pm »

This way you can have a huge amount of very small weapons, or fiveish big weapons. But the small weapons won't actually hurt people very well, because massiveness is related to damage.
Yes, but this means that each and every weapon will have near maximum stability, speed and specialization. In addition, the only advantage of having large weaponry is that there are reduced rounding effects from damage reduction.

Also, IIRC, damage stacks, and damage negation can never truly stop a hit. Meanwhile, a large weapon is going to miss.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »

That is a good point there. Hrm.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 01:24:16 pm »

How exactly do we activate/turn off weapons?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2014, 02:41:20 pm »

You mention which ones are active, and they're active that turn, and until you switch them. Can't change them midcombat unless you lose weapons.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2014, 04:11:40 pm »

Is ramming a thing? Can we coexist on a coordinate? Is maximum or minimum range of weapons as thing? Can we shoot further if gravity or wind are favourable?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Skies of Alzeran [10/??] - It begins!
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2014, 08:44:21 pm »

Well, I haven't quite figured out what to do with the massiveness point ebbor made. However, I'm going to start the game anyway, and I'll mention an update for that when I figure out one. But first, answers.
Is ramming a thing? Can we coexist on a coordinate? Is maximum or minimum range of weapons as thing? Can we shoot further if gravity or wind are favourable?
Coexisting on a coordinate: For actions, yes. (this includes ramming, boarding, and other things that require proximity) For passing by, also yes. Only one castle per block can be there on the map however, so you'll float back apart if you haven't already at the end of map updates. Ranges can be a thing certainly, and might be part of the answer to the above problem. Gravity doesn't tend to change much, but the winds are a possibility, considering they'll probably be blowing in a different direction by the time another major turn occurs.

Turn 1

[globalevent] Some debris lands on all the nearby sky castles, giving various trinkets and useful things as whatever collided in orbit continues to make loud exploding noises in the far distance.

A Shining Platinite Mirror lands in the mouth of Krarkkus, losing none of it shine in the process. Platinite is a combination of Platinum and various other valuable metals, but mainly platinum.

An Intact Arc-Blazer at full charge, a very technological way of engraving on any lightning-resistant surface (or burning holes in lesser materials) is caught somewhere within the magnetic fields of the Laputa, before being retrieved by one of the Laputae. It is a handheld device.

Tangled up somewhere in the upper layers of Castle Arrip is a Longbow of the Apocalypse, an exceptionally overemphasized, overengineered longbow. Still, it is good at what bows are good at, and is heavy enough to be a respectable melee weapon if you can't figure out how to fire it. It has a problem with arrows not made specially for it though: they tend to get burnt up before reaching what you aimed at, even the fireproof ones.

One of the Castle Zipworld inhabitants, having spotted a Warp Crystal appearing among the nonsense, sees it get knocked flying down towards the surface before they reach it as an Automated Cookie Acquirement and Deliverance Module lands in the same spot from up above. It...makes cookies. No, you do not have to give it any materials, just don't ask where the cookies came from, because the guy who made it has no idea either. It is about the size of a mini-fridge.

A Charged Electromagentatificationer thuds onto Dr. Cogginton and goes off by accident, turning some of the nearby stone various shades of magenta. It is a failed attempt to turn things into electromagnetic things even if they are not conductive, instead turning things within range of a puff of static magenta. It is something like a large desk in size.

Upon The Fluxxstone now lies An Axeplicationer. It is a simple axe made of advanced materials, but also it is smart enough to do any multiplication you ask it, and can multiply the number of things you swing it at by chopping them in half before it chops them in half. Does not like being called simple.

The Hand of God catches a wonderfully sparkly Gilded Armoire of Invincible Gleam. For something that fell from orbit and appears to be made of wood and gold, it is impressively unscorched. You can't even tell where they were holding it while they brought it to you Queen Kekerezzar, the smudges seems to have evaporated into thin air as soon as the servants let go of it. The inside is similarly wooden, gilded, and spotless.

For Heaven's Acropolis crashes down a Broken Stormbringer. If it worked, you could attract storms and talk them into attacking your foes, or possibly even tornadoes if you were nice enough. Despite its brokenness, it is still a good source of lightning bolts if jolted, and looks very fancy.

Atop the bridge of the Devastator Airship, a Working Multihedral lands. It is a globe-shaped device that can take the shape of any shape, though there are reports of insanity from people who tried to steal one after someone had asked it to take the form of other-dimensional geometry.

Lastly, in the top branches of Kolima lands a large hunk of Refined Platinite. it is exceptionally shiny and valuable, but otherwise only a large hunk of metal.

Event roll: 5!
Krarkkus, Laputa, Castle Zipworld, Dr. Coggington, Fluxxstone, Heaven's Acropolis, and the Devastator Airship each receive a large pile of chickens in addition to whatever object they got from the debris falling onto Alzeran. The chickens are navy blue but otherwise normal, and are teleported onto the sky castles uninjured.

Dr. Cogginton is early and moves to O3, while the other sky castles start to move (or in some cases, drift) in one direction or another. The wind is currently blowing calmly towards the east.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Color Legend (click to show/hide)
You are now free to move about the cabin do minor turn things, or just say what you are going to do next turn, whichever floats your boat. I moved Kolima over one space since there were two castles who started in J8 and you were later in the list.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »

I wanted to start on J7, but no matter! We shall go where the wind takes us!
(Is diagonal movement a thing?)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2014, 08:56:47 pm »

(I answered that already >.> Yes.)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22