Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Skies of Alzeran [7] - *THOOMP*  (Read 17410 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Skies of Alzeran [9/??] - Night of Evil Clouds 3: Cometted to Devastation!
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »

Should anyone care, Tear Asunder is basically a ton of psionic blasts slamming against the target. Scourge of the Fluxx is basically a huge burst of force radiating from a central point.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Skies of Alzeran [9/??] - Night of Evil Clouds 3: Cometted to Devastation!
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:37 pm »

OK, I corrected the mass on the defense drones and evac cars as well. Again, apologies for faffing that up. Was there anything else that needs to be handled tonight?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Skies of Alzeran [9/??] - Less title, more explosions!
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2014, 11:23:14 pm »

I thought we were supposed to round down.
As far as I can tell, the only thing that explicitly rounds in only one way is damage reduction, which rounds to the lower whole number.

Turn 8

Event roll: 10!
A volcano erupting on the surface hurls a number of massive rocks skywards, and both Fluxxstone and the Devastator Airship are hit by two rocks each, the first one shattering to pieces on impact. The rest of the rocks and debris and ash just go up, and then back down without hitting anything. 4 Castle Integrity damage to each, you also gain 1 Massive Volcanic Rock as an item.

The Laputa chicken siege, like most sieges has gotten to that point where while they could rush in, it'd be costly. So instead, they wait outside the walls of the inner castle. Laputa 1.5 news continues to ramble throughout the radio waves in the meantime as the sun rises and the wind stays the same. As predicted earlier, the evil doom clouds leave as soon as the sun arrives.

Krarkkus, apparent master of distance vision, manages to pick out a few details about the fighters. The slower, red one seems to highly favor projectile weaponry, as well as fire. The other one appears to have more variety, but seems to favor guided projectiles only somewhat less than the red one. Both could be deflected or tanked with armor.

The Fluxxstone looks down at the wreckage of Castle Arrip as it slowly and floatily sinks towards the surface (except for the engine, which straight up falls), but theres not a whole lot to scavenge from it unless you want rope. So instead, the Fluxx is queried about image projection. Eventually, after several failed attempts (and a few explosions, but not enough to impact the place as a whole), a large projector is constructed somewhere onboard, and is given a large-scale sad face to project in the general direction of Dr. Coggington. The skything then ponderously and slowly makes its way towards the southern shenanigans, not approving of the wind's direction at all but eventually making it to L7.

The inhabitant of Kolima work on implementing hammer time as the sun rises. The mirror is quite a bit more notable in the sunlight, so some more covers are added to make sure nothing catches on fire accidentally, and from the looks of things it seems like you could land on the neighboring skycastle now pretty stably. Safely, on the other hand...

Dr. Coggington is exceptionally magnificent now. Also huge! He promptly moves south with his newly expanded everything, reaching P5-R7. The few idle cogs available attempt to estimate the location of the comet arrival, but end up with a rather useless estimate and need additional data. The best they've done so far is 'Not likely to be in the top left quadrant of the map.'

Hive Cruiser Aeros Beta sets down on the island, and picks up...something. A very odd transmission from below (but not directly under) the ship is about all you can figure out of it before it fades away, and work is started regardless. A much less cryptic and quickly read message from the Devastator Airship is also received. A Forager squad is formed and sent out, Burrow and Assimilation Crystals are formed. +1 new growth, 10/13 Growth used this turn.

The Devastator Airship, after arguing with a spacial flux for awhile while Alzeran passed by it, manages to finish its argument without exploding from the flux effects, and looks a bit better in fact. So instead, it FIRES ZE MISSILES, and the poison canisters, and the blink drive, and even prepares the flamethrowers just in case.
Heaven's Acropolis takes the new hostile signatures as a sign there will be no surrender, and prepares accordingly while targeting recalibrates post-blinkswap. The capacitor is engaged in engines and structural repair as well. Theres also an unusual signal sitting beneath the flying fortress that bears investigation after battle.
Castle Zipworld has an interesting object show up on its laborious quest to fight the wind and head east: A Gigantic Fan. It is quite possibly big enough to shove the entire place forward, but no one is strong enough to swing it, let alone pick it up. A crane is brought over to pull it off the ground (another warp crystal was hidden under the fan!), and the castle struggles into C17 before the warp decides otherwise and warps to E18 instead, which puts it in range of the Airship!

Spoiler: Threeway dice, oh dear (click to show/hide)

Castle Zipworld powers up the Warp cannon, and with a thunderous boom and a crack of warp energy, punch the Devastator Airship with an entire War room! As impressive (and unexpected) as getting hit with a building is however, Heaven's Acropolis' attack is no slouch either. As the artillery deals with miscalculated targeting and slams, the drones are under no such issues! Using secondary targeting systems while the systems link back up, they lock back on to the Devastator Airship, and the machineguns they're equipped with tear through the fire and the flames and carrying on to the fuel lines powering them, blowing them up for heavy damage to the Devastator Airship!

...meanwhile, the aerial torpedoes get revenge on the PD lasers, but don't destroy them. What does cause damage is the poison cloud the airship left behind, but thats eventually contained and purified by capacitor-boosted damage control, and their related drones.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Color Legend (click to show/hide)

I didn't know what to use for the bonus for adding the crystals Shadestyle, so I added 2 per crystal. Too low/high?
Also, I will sort out your increased stats later when I'm not so tired, RAM. Feel free to suggest ideas about that if you want though, since you're the first to try and succeed in eating an entire island.
Note that one cannot consume the entirety of the biggest island. (for reasons no one has found yet. ;) )
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2014, 11:51:18 pm »

Orders:
Get back in the game: put our artillery back in range and fire again.

Continue damage control; neutralize gas as best possible, recover wounded and deceased.

(Take one of the drone squadrons off the damage rolls now: dead operators don't operate, drone ai cannot fire without operator input, the one remaining pop point is crew necessary for other roles: they can't go operate the drones. Affected drones should return to hangar.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2014, 11:58:52 pm »

((You didn't add any raw fluxx))
Continue going SW. Try to assimilate the Massive Volcanic Rock into a new Oribting Fluxx Stone.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2014, 01:12:02 am »

Hello ship below! Would you be willing to consider an alliance?

I could root on your ship for travel, and help defend you from anyone who tries to attack?

If he agrees, attempt to carefully land on his island ship. (I will take no response to mean yes...)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:52:36 am by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2014, 01:50:33 am »

Dr. Coggington remains in the cloud and dedicates the entirety of their efforts to analysing the comet and assessing the possibility of capturing it.

I have been in a creative pit myself, so I applaud your seemingly heroic efforts to keep this game running so well. Hrmm, an increase in the massiveness limit seems eminently sensible, except for the minor detail of most likely being horrifyingly overpowered, so that is probably out. It could be added as a great big defensive system, that loses mass as it takes damage. Or maybe one system per tile... Meh, I am not really getting any inspiration, sorry...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2014, 02:21:53 am »

Don't poison gas clouds remain for 3 turns?

Edit: Considering Castle Zipworld is just barely in range, how did Heaven's Acropolis fire at me? Retribution capacitor shenanigans should work in my favor right, otherwise the system is completely useless. So either they should get range penalties, or the weaponry should have missed in it's entirity.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:21:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2014, 03:16:47 am »

((Eh, seems fair, but if you wanted to make it interesting, each one could add anywhere from 0-3 to a roll each, to fit with the randomness theme.))

Castle Zipworld hangs back until further notice, drifting with the wind, and using the Fan as a rudder or sail if possible to perform evasive maneuvers.

"Let us see what the clearing smoke brings..."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:34:09 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2014, 04:32:20 am »

Devastator Airship

Engage Blink Drive: Jump to E16 (-2 charge). Move towards D15. (This should definitively put me out of range of the Heaven's acropolis, right?)

"Notice to vessel at E18. You have been designated as a threat. For security purposes, you and your vessel will be cleansed."

Fire:

Incinerators*10 at Zipworld
Poison Gas Launchers*14 at Zipworld
Aerial Torpedoes at drones
ClF³ Torpedoes against the Acropolis, if it manages to come within range, otherwise at Zipworld

Meanwhile, inside the vessel work progressed rapidly. Though the crew would never admit it, the vessel had been hit heavily by the attack. Streaming fuel from the many holes that perforated it's armor, and with the entire vessel flexing and bending in the wind due to the heavy damage the central structure had sustained, it was unlikely that the vessel could take another hit like the many ones it had already recieved. So, the crew set to their repairs, with the materials they had available.

Firing up the forges on the inner levels, robotic crews start to gather the materials they can. Loose armor plates, bend and dented by enemy attacks, parts of the war room, lodged into the front of the ship, the bladed fire duck (if that one is still around) all disappear into the fire. A few crewmembers are also send to investigate the volcanic rock that impacted the ship, and are ordered to break it open from the distance to see what's inside. Depending on their findings, the rock might dissappear into the furnaces as well.

Repair procedures are Integrity&Structure, next the blaze protocols*, and then the armor**.

*Including upgrading them to have 12 integrity
**Upgrading it to have 5 specialization

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:45:00 am by 10ebbor10 »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2014, 09:43:01 am »

You both were able to fire at each other because, while yes it is technically out of range, two things were sorta relevant:
1. The Airship fired /before/ warping, so it was in range then. Now it is not.
2. The drones can fly. They do not have unlimited combat range, but its luck they even hit anyway, much less critically hit; and since eric has (reasonably) not detailed every little thing about them, if I need to add something like backup sensors to make the text fit the roll well enough, then they can be.
3. Zipworld hadn't actually fired yet until that turn, and thus was not a valid target unless you were aiming for them specifically.

Either way the capacitor worked in your favor, ebbor: The gas got to skip hitting and go straight to killing things, and its taken you out of range again with most of you still intact.

As to the gas on the map, yes. Like the raw fluxx (+4), I didn't forget it on purpose. I'll add it to the map later.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2014, 01:41:01 pm »

To clarify, I do not really have any preferences for being huge, I just wanted to strip-excavate the ruins and get some nice architecture in the process. So the hugeness is all bonus.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2014, 12:31:34 am »

((You moved the airship, not the drones: they only had to travel to catch up to your ship. The drones can operate at this distance: its shorter than the same distance as was used when scouting previoisly, which aklyon permitted.))

Orders:

Dump the last two capacitor charge into engines and attempt to move into range.

Have the drones attempt to disable the enemy's weapons systems. One squadron each focus on: CIF torpedoes, flamethrowers, aerial torpedoes.

((It's been three turns since I used the first capacitor charge, so end of next turn it will regain a charge. First charge used: interval between turns 5 and 6. Current: interval between 8 and 9.
Aklyon, what were the rolls you got for the capacitor charge I'd used previously, including both that went into the engines and the one used in the structure?))
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:34:41 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2014, 09:56:20 pm »

((I've been rather busy lately, so I still can't post fluff, or update my sheet, really, though I'll try to get around to it sometime after Friday, which is my birthday))

((In the meantime, have a translated response, and some actions!))

Adaptation is not bad. Adaptation is good; if you don't adapt to new situations, you die. You change tactics, after all, Devastator Airship, do you not, when circumstances demand it? We realize the importance of flexibility. We specialize in it, similar to how you seem to specialize in fire and toxins.

Also...if you could describe the disease in more detail, we would be glad to help you cleanse it however we can.

Create another Forager Team.
Burrow Crystals are to dig in the airship, Assimilation Vessels are to begin processing minerals and rocks(mining, basically), and Forager teams are to begin exploration and bringing back Biomatter to be converted into Growth.
Recycle all but 1 point of Propulsion(I think that's 3 points of Growth); we could be here for a while.
Put the last point of Growth for the turn into Structure.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2014, 12:19:56 am »

Seeing a sheet woud be really nice, you know.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22