Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Skies of Alzeran [7] - *THOOMP*  (Read 17372 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Skies of Alzeran [7] - *THOOMP*
« on: November 01, 2014, 07:46:02 pm »

There are a number of floating castles in the world of Alzeran. Part of the reason being things tend to not last particularly long on the surface with the lava and the deadly beasts and the occasional unexpected explosion or meteorite impact, but mostly because the planet is particularly good at supporting floating architecture for some reason, despite its non-gas giant nature. Theres been quite a few races taking note of this lately, and you can see a number of them under construction as you enter Alzeran's airspace.

So, this is part-RP and part stat-based castle fighter, if I was going to try to describe it in types of game.
Each player is in charge of a sizable floating sky castle. It doesn't have to be typically castley, or even medieval, but however you make it, it has to be describable as 'A sizable floating sky castle' in some way or another. Sky castle towns or sky fortresses are also acceptable for particularly town-with-fortifications-like ones or militant ones respectively. Your ruler/how they rule/their race and so on is entirely up to you though with the limit being the forum rules. The eventual goal is to gain absolute air superiority over Alzeran, however it happens. Diplomatic alliance, A war that makes the surface even less survivable by the end (but now has some interesting ruins to explore carefully), whatever ends up being the case. This goal might end up changing later, but not without something significant happening.

Major turns that involve everyone will be put together by myself, but otherwise things like diplomacy or general interaction or insulting an opposing castle with creatively repurposed clouds or something like that is up to you guys. A major turn will have Turn # in bold text (and won't be sooner than every couple days most likely, depending on how much is going on) and account for all the actions I find since the last one in a summarized way, as well as updating the map locations of everyone and possibly an event. A minor turn is for things like coordinating actions between some but not all of the people involved in the game, or for people having RP or diplomacy and so forth, and can happen any number of times between major turns. Minor turns can also involve miniupdates if I make any. I'll try to solve conflicting posts myself as GM, but if theres a conflict that I miss (or aren't there for at all) and its not worked out on its own, minor turn actions will go in chronological order based on post time.

Originally I was going to limit this to 6, since I'm not spectacular at managing multiplayer things. But for now, I'll leave the game open for anyone who wants to come and castle and we'll see if it works out. (This means you can still join midgame, just you have to start at the edge of the map. Any location not already in use on the edge will do.)
The map below is divided into approximately 48x48 pixel blocks; approximately because the edge tiles ended up slightly larger or smaller when I had finished laying out the grid in paint.net. A normal-sized sky castle fits into one block.
Spoiler: Map (large image) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weaponry and Defensery (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alternates (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Destroyed (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:07:58 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Skies of Alzeran [0/??]
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 08:06:04 pm »

((Reserved, will fill out later.))

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 08:18:49 pm »

This is interesting, I think I'll throw up a application. Although I have two questions. It says that setting your population to -1 costs 10 points, do you still get the five points that start in population for doing that? Or are those points lost? Also it says that setting your population to #* makes it so your castle explodes (presumably damaging your attacker) when your ruler dies, does that refer to your last population dying, so it sorta explodes in retribution after you lose the game, or does that mean that lucky hits and random events that kill whomever happens to be the leader of your castle at the time can cause you to randomly explode and lose?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 08:27:53 pm »

You can decrease population to 1, and then spend those 4 points as part of the cost of setting it to -1 if you want to. The last point just vanishes, since you can't start with zero population and can't set it to zero outside of everyone being dead.

The * effect is basically "If I die, everythings going down with me!", along with any explosives or other traps you have all being triggered automatically.
I do have some limitations added onto things and notes on events like 'Don't ever pick this one for load-bearing-rulers, regardless of if it comes up', but its more for flavor than any particular advantage, since its really more of a disadvantage. Anything that effects population will not hit the ruler unless you're down to 1, but if something specifically targets the ruler and they die as a result, the castle asplode. If they die and then soon after are quickly revived (emphasis on soon), you still take some Structure damage, but should survive.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 09:05:05 pm »

Question: you say we need to roll a d20 to settle combat. Will you alone be doing the rolls or will players be trusted to honestly report their rolls? What if a player doesn't have access to a d20 or a program which simulates dice rolls?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 09:20:11 pm »

I might join later... Posting to remember.

Edit: I will join when I get better. See you then.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:28:48 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:30:40 pm »

Question: you say we need to roll a d20 to settle combat. Will you alone be doing the rolls or will players be trusted to honestly report their rolls? What if a player doesn't have access to a d20 or a program which simulates dice rolls?
If they have access to the internet, they have access to dice rollers. Invisible Castle is a site which does dice rolls and alos logs them, so it can be checked for cheating, if necessary.

Spoiler: In progress (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:42:52 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »

I was thinking I'd probably do the combat myself, at least for now. I'm open to suggestions if thats a dumb idea or if we end up with too many people, however.

Also giglamesh, you don't need to leave in the example in example stats ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:35:22 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 10:04:56 pm »

In progress, editing as I go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:37:30 am by ansontan2000 »
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:44 pm »

Hope I understood the application sheet
Working title: Taking rope bridges to the extreme!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:52:09 am by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:18:19 pm »

Flabort, you have a total of 250 weapon points. The maximum is 100, isn't it?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 10:20:55 pm »

PTW and probably play later.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:11 pm »

PTW, and possibly will play as well.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:15 pm »

Flabort, you have a total of 250 weapon points. The maximum is 100, isn't it?
Active at any one time.
Weapons and defenses that are not ‘active’ and in use do not count against this cap, but also cannot be used in combat, obviously. They can still be hit by stray shots though! ;)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:25:46 pm »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:00:34 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22