Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Vizier: A Game of Treachery [6 Players]  (Read 16265 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vizier: A Game of Treachery [6 Players]
« on: November 01, 2014, 04:02:47 pm »

The old King is dead, and his heir is a young, noble, naive and easily manipulated fool who will follow whatever advice his councillors give him.  A shame, then, that you are only one amongst many.

Vizier functions as a card game, in which players are randomly assigned Resource Cards.  They use these to solve various Crises that befall the kingdom (of varying severity) in order to gain favour with their king and appointments to various Ministries.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Joining

Simply submit a character sheet with your character's name, description and how they came to court.  Play will begin once I have at least four players, with a maximum of six.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:23:26 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vizier: A Game of Treachery [6 Players]
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:03:28 pm »

Reserved

Also, a tip:  At the start, you will never have enough resources on your own to resolve a Crisis.  You must make alliances.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:22:33 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »

Sounds cool. Give me a sec.

Name:  Kyle Johnson

Description:  This guy makes you think of an unstoppable machine. He has narrow gray eyes that are like two pools of mercury. His silky, wavy, alabaster hair is short and is worn in a precise, simple style. He is very tall and has a broad-shouldered build. His skin is cream-colored. He has a small nose and a wide chin. His wardrobe is plain, and is completely violet and green.

How he got to court:  Kyle was one of the first to arrive when the previous king established a foreign guard for the castle. He proved himself competent at leading and set himself up as the commander of the guard. Unlike his kinsmen he is quite interested in the complexities of these foreign politics. At the king's death he established himself as a chancellor in return for ensuring the continued assistance of the foreign guard under a new head.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:52:21 pm by kj1225 »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 05:05:32 pm »

Name: Harriet Bradley

Description: Long brown hair, blue eyes, about 6 foot tall. Slight chest. Often labeled tomboy.

How they came to court: Nepotism. Her uncle was rather sweet on her and got the king to offer a trial period to her as agree on the uncle's death. Then the king died a few weeks later. As only the king knew, she now got to firmly entrench herself before any pointed questions are tossed her way.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 05:27:14 pm »

Name: Wolfgang Arnoldsson

Description: A large very muscular man, with a pointed nose, an unkempt gray beard and a full head of black hair.

How he came to court: Wolfgang came to court at a point when the king was afraid of assassinations, he was hired as a guardsmen. Whence the king realized his natural talent at administration he was promoted to a councilor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 06:00:07 pm »

Name: Mehlenna Blusterant
Description: An paunchy woman who is both incredibly elderly and incredibly boring. Wears large glasses, a white beehive and prefers mauve dresses.
How she came to the court: Mehlenna is a long time civil servant, having started out as a lowly scribe. She got to her current position out of pure seniority, being the oldest and most foggiest in the entire bureaucracy.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

The King is Dead!  Long Live the King!

It is a cloudy day in late July as the sun rises on the coronation of the new king of Elbreth.  The old King Eric was laid to rest alongside his wife not twelve hours ago, and the young King Dale is barely half-way through his teens.  Uncertain of rule, the new king looks to his advisors to guide him.  With the pomp and ceremony of the state over, the king gathers his most trusted councillors - you - and asks for your assistance in dealing with the troubles of the day.

Spoiler: Crises (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Government (click to show/hide)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:58:49 pm »

If it ain't too late:

Name: Cinad the Savage
Description: An old man always covered in a thick ragged robe who looks like as if he would fall over at the slightest touch. His face is hidden by a copper mask shaped into a permanent smile.
How did he come to Court?: the last king needed a cure for his dying wife; Cinad provided a tribal remedy and has been a permanent fixture ever since.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »

((Could you explain what exactly we should be doing right now? Maybe describe where we are a little?))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:20:37 pm »

After the court steward reads out the various issues troubling the kingdom, King Dale himself retires from the council chambers to undertake his horse riding and swordsmanship lessons, as befits any young noble, especially a king.  He is expected to return later in the afternoon to hear proposals from his councillors, but in the meantime you are left alone.

The palace is small, at least compared to the grand villas of the Storm Coast.  More of a castle than a palace, the structure sports a mead hall, armoury and smithy, barracks, stables and various rooms for guests.  A later addition was the chapel to the Father of Suul, and a much later addition was the Royal Library, the old queen's pride and joy.

Here, in the council chambers, the councillors may discuss publicly what is to be done to resolve these crises, and what resources they might be able to bring to the table.  There are several hours before the king arrives, and many other rooms in the castle, so councillors may also speak privately amongst themselves, if they wish to do deals.

OOC: At this point, your goal is to forge alliances with other players.  Your win conditions all require you to acquire at least one Ministry, and you cannot do that without a favour from the king, which you get by solving one of the kingdom's problems.  You cannot solve the kingdom's problems without resources, and no player at this stage has enough resources to solve any of the problems on their own.

Players should form coalitions to contribute Resource Cards (you may contribute one per Crisis) to solving one or more Crises.  One player should be named Proposer - if the Crisis is solved, this person will be granted a Favour by the king.

Once someone has Proposed a solution, they should name themselves and which Crisis they are trying to solve, then which Resource Card they are playing.  It is up to their allies to then support the proposal by chipping in cards themselves.

You may discuss plans here, or via PM, although via PM I would appreciate a CC just to keep track of things.

Quote from: Example
Alice: We should stop the headless horseman at once!

Bob: I agree.  I am in full support of you.

Cecil: As am I.

Alice:  Good, we'll need everyone's help to do this.

Alice:  I propose a solution to the Headless Horseman crisis.  My Holy Knight [2 Might, 1 Piety] will lead the charge to destroy this fiend!

Bob:  I support this proposal, sending my Angry Cleric [2 Piety, 1 Might] to provide moral support and exorcise the spirit.  As Court Chaplain I add the support of my Ministry's strength [2 = 2 Piety].

Cecil: ...

Alice:  Cecil?  Chip in your Pit Fighter, come on.

Cecil: I do nothing.

Bob: Wait, what?

GM: You marshal your forces and head out to defeat the headless horseman.  *card flip*  The Horseman required 4 Might and 3 Piety to defeat.  You only supplied 3 Might and 5 Piety.  The headless horseman kills your duo and wreaks havoc across the land.  The Ministry of Faith loses strength as people lose faith.  Its strength is now 1.

Alice: Noooo!

Bob: CECIIIIILLLL!!!

Cecil: Muahahahahaaa!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:23:54 pm by Iituem »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:25:52 pm »

The foreign guard frowns.
"Hm... we need to do something to get this holy book back. If we do not it will make a mockery of the guards. And the library would be down a national treasure."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 10:39:17 pm »

((I just realised what the setting was. Niceeeee one Iituem.))

The tribesman adjusted his mask and spoke with his sing-song accent of long vowels and curious tones."To be sure, to be sure, but I do be thinking that this disease running amok the guardsmen would be more urgent. Those guardsmen of yours Arnoldsson are the one ensuring our beloved king survives, after all."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:42:14 pm »

Kyle looks bored.
"The disease is important for sure. That's why I think that you should deal with it. If I only have some support in tracking down those hooligans I can try and assist in curing our soldiers."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:46:02 pm »

"Oh, leaving an old man to deal with this problem by himself? Ah, to be young again..." Cinad chuckled.

"I do think this holy book can wait; surely the lives of loyal kingsmen are of more importance than this book?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:47:47 pm by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:49:36 pm »

"Ah, but I can still offer my support to you if you try. And if we do not solve this our great nation will most likely have more problems if any rapscallion thinks they can wander in and take from the kings own library."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16