Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Kings of Dragon Pass successor announced !  (Read 8447 times)

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kings of Dragon Pass successor announced !
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 06:15:23 am »

Obligatory PTW

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:18:57 am by aenri »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 07:38:38 am »

“Many good games have been made through Kickstarter, but some have been bad also.”
“Our ancestors never used 3D or cut scenes in their games.”
“Our weaponthanes think the game should be an FPS so we can take revenge on the Newb Campers tribe.”
“When Orlanth was beaten in a game by Eurmal, he ragequit in fury.”
“I don’t care what sort of game we make as long as it involves KILLING THE ELVES.”

Consider this my PTW.

We must perform a heroquest to aid them and protect them from the chaos that abounds in kickstarter. Quick! Sacrifice 100 cows to Eurmal and raid the beastfolk! Because fuck the beastfolk :v I'd rather have elves on my tribe then beastfolk.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 12:09:41 pm »

More fantastic story generating RP games like DF, this is good, this is what we need.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »

All my yes. Just, all of it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 06:46:50 pm »

I'm disappointed that KDP wasn't emulated more by other games. After all this years and it's still in a genre of its own.  :(

Well, it was never directly copied, but I think there were plenty of influences.  Neither was it entirely unique.  There is nothing quite like it but, like everything, it was put together from pieces and inspirations that had been trod before.

Was the council of your ring that different from your various advisors in sim city 2000?  Do some of the kingdom management aspects not feel similar to Stronghold (the old D&D licensed one, not the new one)?

Cant all these things basically be traced to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamurabi ?

Do you not see some impressions of KoDP left on games like The Guild, and Children of the Nile?

It can't be expected that a game exactly like it -- with the clan management and ring and diplomacy and mythology and turn structure and textey story interface and hand drawn art -- but there are certainly games that have one or some of those aspects.

I think a straight reskin with different art and text would probably have no soul, and you could just keep playing the original game instead.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they do that is different and interesting, rather than how close they cleave to the original.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »

For me it's the format. Nothing quite has a turn style like KoDP. You make some small but long-term administrative decisions, then randomness. Then maybe a battle, which is two to three clicks to decide. Embarking on the Quests is like a whole other game outside of the core game. If KoDP was just the clan management and event screens, I probably wouldn't love it as much. But it adds that map which for me solidifies the whole game into something tangible. It gives weight to the decisions and entities because not only can you point to where they are, but all that stuff is dynamic and random. Sure, it's just a matrix of clan names and generated alliances and antipathies, but in no other game do I actually buy those things within the first couple of turns but KoDP. The Blue Jays may just be a name and set of stats and relationships, but game to game they actually come to life through their actions and your's. Lots of games never make it to that point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 07:38:16 pm »

What sells KoDP for me is the lore. It's one of the single most original and interesting fantasy settings I have ever encountered. Period. Even just the lore on dragons and dragon society is enough originality to be noticeable, and nearly everything in the game is like that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 09:19:39 pm »

well, again, they didn't exactly cut it from whole cloth.  You can revel in it's lore if you want to get into any of the tabletop RPGs.  Also:

Glorantha has been, so far, the background for two board-games (White Bear and Red Moon/Dragon Pass and Nomad Gods), two role-playing games (RuneQuest and HeroQuest), one video game (King of Dragon Pass), one comic book series (Path of the Damned), five novels or collections of fiction (King of Sartar by Greg Stafford, The Collected/Complete Griselda by Oliver Dickinson, Gloranthan Visions by various authors, and The Widow's Tale and Eurhol's Vale & Other Tales by Penelope Love), and numerous pieces of myth and fiction created by the Glorantha community, featuring in magazines such as Tales of the Reaching Moon. Several hundred gaming miniatures by various licensees and about a dozen plush toys have also been produced at various times.

There have been other games based on similar established properties, with similar or greater depths of lore.  So it isn't just the lore...

There is some sort of ineffable je ne sais quoi in how they put it all together and present it.

Or maybe it is just the lore.  I can't think of any other game that tells you a half dozen legends in the beginning, rewards you for playing towards the ideals described, and then gives you a practical exam on re-enacting them step-for-step as an end-game condition.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 09:53:37 pm »

Yeah. I actually had to read up and study and fully immerse myself in the lore to understand what was going on and how to appropriately respond to situations. Even things like knowing what a Trickster's role is supposed to be and how to react to them. Or how you're not supposed to do your own thing during heroquests but rather emulate the gods via them.

At the end of it I was fully entwined with Humakt and Orlanth and Eurmal and so on and so forth. I fully understood that generosity was a very major virtue of being Orlanthian and I was just dolling out dosh to everyone based on that principle. I knew that kinslaying was the worst crime possible for an Orlanthi and rendered judgements as such because the game judges you based on how you respond to these situations.

The game does a fantastic job of making sure you're fully immersed in the situation and uses positive reinforcement to ensure this happens.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 10:03:51 pm »

That said, I do like going renegade during heroquests and trying to break cosmology. It's not really that good for your clan, but I can't help but enjoy Humakt unleashing Death on Orlanth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 10:10:45 pm »

I think my favorite heroquest is the one where Elmal defends the village. Because if you didn't read the story, you'd fail it all the time or sacrifice your life / mana / everything for no reason.

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2016, 06:20:09 am »

PTW
Yes, I'm gay.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2016, 06:21:55 am »

...did you necro a 2-year-old thread to PTW? How did you even find the thread?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:23:40 am by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 06:23:15 am »

I would like to know if this game is still alive
Yes, I'm gay.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 06:24:38 am »

I would like to know if this game is still alive
If you go to their site in the OP, and then to their new one linked in the old one, you'll see that it's indeed still being actively made.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5