Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dwarves eat more all of a sudden?  (Read 2153 times)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do dwarves eat more all of a sudden?
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:47:48 pm »

Hey everyone,

On my last embark was fine, no food problems at all. This embark i started with about 60 food (a lot was milk that i turned into cheese and then into meals), however within moments it was all gone. i was getting messages about "give food" cancellations. I panicked and ordered the wagon animals slaughtered as well as one of my male dogs (having two more spare) and it gave me "80?" food (not accurate because my record keeper doesnt have an office yet)

i thought, well this should be enough to see me through the next few months before my farms are up and running at least. So i unpaused and kept playing. Within about five minutes in real life, its all gone again. it went from 80? to 50? to 0...

What's going on? do i need to bring 500 food to embark now?....

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do dwarves eat more all of a sudden?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »

I haven't had problems with food, but you can't eat milk it has to be processed. It sounds like you took your food source, narrowed it down into cheese, then narrowed it down further into a few meals.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:23:32 pm »

According to the wiki when you make meals, its the sum of all the ingredients that you get back. milk goes into cheese in a 1-1 and then ingredients go into meals like, 10 plump helmets and 20 cheese makes 30 meals for example.

"However, a single plump helmet can be cooked with ten dwarven wine, ten dwarven milk, and ten dwarven syrup to make 31 +Plump Helmet Roast+ without issue."

from the wiki. So the food shouldnt have narrowed down... and when i butchered a heap of animals 80 meat (that i didnt cook in this case) became 0 within five minutes of real time.  I havent had that happen before, it was a really good embark too but all the food vanishing caused major problems...

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 07:43:49 pm »

I don't know.
I'm playing .40.13 and I'm swimming in food. I have only 85 dwarves and embarked with default settings.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:12:53 pm »

Food needs to be kept in a stockpile, and I think vermin can eat it if it is loose out of a barrel. I do the "all the 2 point meats" barrel cheat on embark, and sometimes I make so many biscuits out of it, they will start rotting in kitchen, not hauled to pile fast enough. Something else to check. I don't experience any fast eaters currently, maybe your FPS is screaming fast lol.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 03:21:14 pm »

I haven't seen any food issues... Until the monkeys came and stole all the roasts from my stockpile, that is. >:(

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 03:31:29 pm »

I'm going to go with the vermin explanation.  Cats have been a bit disappointing as vermin-control.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »

Really? Put a pasture over the food stockpile and an extra square around it with at least one cat in it, works great from my experience. It's the second reason I always bring cats... the first being a source of meat, leather, and bones which requires no grazing...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »

I thought I noticed adventurers did, since the new version, but I dont know about fort mode.  With the increased availability of plant growth Ive had a surplus even without farms.  As long as I kept foraging the surface and/or caverns.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 06:27:12 pm »

They eat smaller meals but more frequently now. It's supposedly only a 10% increase in overall consumption, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?