Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pokemod  (Read 5474 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemod
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 04:17:51 pm »

The stone (and blood) would have an on-contact syndrome, 100% of the time. I don't know how good the contact detection is.

It literally does not work except for liquids.

Could you not have gases that condense and do interactions though?

No, those are inhaled.

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 05:42:28 pm »

The issue with workshop evolution is that it would make wild high-stage pokemon harder if not impossible.

From the syndrome angle, there is some existing mechanics in place: take a look at the table under this one. COMBATHARDNESS might be useful! I'd also reccommend that some Pokemon evolve with time instead of pure combat, or there will never be any butterfrees!

I'll have to vary the ways that they evolve, and you bring up a good point about workshop evolution.
I'll most likely use a blood syndrome for most evolution. Is it possible to have a creature die on contact with water? And would the evolutions have to be a different caste of the same creature, or could it evolve into a different one?

On a side note, with all of the different Pokemon I might look into making gameplay possible (although still compatible with vanilla) with exclusively Pokemon-based creatures/food. If, for instance, you no longer wanted to use horses, cows, and buffalo, you could use Rapidash, Miltank, and Bouffalant.

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 03:46:04 am »

My nitpicking is making me feel the need to drift away from the default templates and overcomplicate things to a horrific extent...xD

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 06:36:44 am »

And would the evolutions have to be a different caste of the same creature, or could it evolve into a different one?
I'm wondering if different evolutions can still mate if they're not the same creature?

On a side note, with all of the different Pokemon I might look into making gameplay possible (although still compatible with vanilla) with exclusively Pokemon-based creatures/food. If, for instance, you no longer wanted to use horses, cows, and buffalo, you could use Rapidash, Miltank, and Bouffalant.
Nice. Mareeps for wool too!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 11:23:27 am »

I should probably throw this in here, too, if you're using DFHack.  It's the druidism plugin used in Masterwork, but it also includes the Cage-O-Matic device, a projectile weapon that turns into a cage and traps the creature on contact, and has its chance of capture adjusted by both size and how much the creature is weakened.  You can change the in-game name to pokeball.  Because that's what it is.

Link here

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 01:29:43 pm »

And would the evolutions have to be a different caste of the same creature, or could it evolve into a different one?
I'm wondering if different evolutions can still mate if they're not the same creature?

If they're not different castes of the same creature then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to breed, unless I can do something like when the donkey and horse breed together.

I should probably throw this in here, too, if you're using DFHack.  It's the druidism plugin used in Masterwork, but it also includes the Cage-O-Matic device, a projectile weapon that turns into a cage and traps the creature on contact, and has its chance of capture adjusted by both size and how much the creature is weakened.  You can change the in-game name to pokeball.  Because that's what it is.

Link here

That' be great :) I'd been trying to figure out how to make a pokeball and haven't come up with much.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 09:21:24 pm »

As one of the failures with a discontinued attempt at a pokemod, this thread is relevant to my interests. 

Posting to Watch.  Here's hoping you get farther than I did.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 09:26:03 pm »

I refuse to do it because I already have a mod with 144 whosits and that's too much for me and all those are basically the same and holy shit there are a lot of pokeymans.

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »

As one of the failures with a discontinued attempt at a pokemod, this thread is relevant to my interests. 

Posting to Watch.  Here's hoping you get farther than I did.

I'm planning this out extensively so I don't get halfway through and realize there was a major feature I want but forgot to implement; as soon as I make a definite list, I'll edit the initial post.

Separating the raws by region so people can control how much immersion they want :)
I'm also glad to say that monk12 has given me permission to use his previous work on Pokemon Fables as a scaffold for mine.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 04:29:23 pm »

Am I the only person that would prefer them as just simple creatures that run around, grow old, and die? Things that can be hunted and tamed like every other animal?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 04:48:56 pm »

Am I the only person that would prefer them as just simple creatures that run around, grow old, and die? Things that can be hunted and tamed like every other animal?

Can't blame you there (especially since that would be a lot easier), the way I'd like to see them in the game is just different :)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:45 am »

Can't blame you there (especially since that would be a lot easier), the way I'd like to see them in the game is just different :)
The two can be pursued virtually independently of one another.  With an initial design idea (Are evolved forms castes of the same creature, or independent creatures?), the creatures themselves can be designed en-masse and let loose upon the world (see the Dinosaurs mod) while !!SCIENCE!! proceeds on the evolution mechanism.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 12:29:30 pm »

The two can be pursued virtually independently of one another.  With an initial design idea (Are evolved forms castes of the same creature, or independent creatures?), the creatures themselves can be designed en-masse and let loose upon the world (see the Dinosaurs mod) while !!SCIENCE!! proceeds on the evolution mechanism.

I entirely agree.

They'll be different creatures (thank you, CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION!) mostly because that organization would be easier for me to understand, but also to prevent any weird inheritance issues.
The only snag I'm coming across is figuring out how to make the later evolutions give birth/lay the eggs of the lowest evolutions.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 12:39:01 pm »

They'll be different creatures (thank you, CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION!) mostly because that organization would be easier for me to understand, but also to prevent any weird inheritance issues.
The only snag I'm coming across is figuring out how to make the later evolutions give birth/lay the eggs of the lowest evolutions.
You can change castes with CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION, but whichever works out to be easier.  If non-citizen egg-layers act like citizen egg-layers (zooming to the hatchling immediately at birth), you can use one solution for both live births and eggs: an interaction/syndrome from mother to baby that turns them into the low form and adds a tag that makes them immune to further neonatal changes.  The cost is needing to apply that tag (a permanent SYN_CLASS?) on any individual who evolves during its lifetime.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

VariusEtland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 12:57:10 pm »

You can change castes with CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION, but whichever works out to be easier.  If non-citizen egg-layers act like citizen egg-layers (zooming to the hatchling immediately at birth), you can use one solution for both live births and eggs: an interaction/syndrome from mother to baby that turns them into the low form and adds a tag that makes them immune to further neonatal changes.  The cost is needing to apply that tag (a permanent SYN_CLASS?) on any individual who evolves during its lifetime.

Is there a specific way to add a SYN_CLASS with an interaction? If so, I could add the class whenever evolution occurs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3