Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Dwarves not fighting! They just stand there and get slaughtered!  (Read 1600 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

Finally got a good siege and after savescumming 7 times it's just a slaughter. The vast majority of my Dwarves refuse to fight. Most of them have extensive training and good discipline, and are all fully armed and armored. However, they will stand around next to Goblins and just let themselves be killed. They'll dodge, but that's about it. The only time they have fought back in any real way is the last few survivors that sometimes enter a martial trance.

I've tried giving them kill orders, station orders, removing orders - no change. I'll look at them while they are surrounded by Goblins, Ogres, and Trolls and they'll have like go to individual training session or just "station". I tried locking the gates so there was no access back into the fort, but they just stand there. Even my Champion, his skills are so high he should be tearing through them.

Anyone know a way to get them to snap out of this?

EDIT: Also, there is an Ogre who has so far taken about 8 pages of *iron bolts* from my Marksdwarves, who are fighting. It seems to be melee Dwarves and Marksdwarves without ammo who are braindead.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. The various things to try to fix them doesn't help. It's like the siege is hostile to my Dwarves, but they aren't hostile to them. I picked this location and faction to see some action since it shows "AT WAR" with the Goblins instead of the red ------
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:31:36 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you have their squad on Alert and set to ignore burrows? I've seen them stand at the edge of a burrow and refuse to fight anything not in the burrow even if it was hitting them in the face.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

well it certainly isn't the "at war" status causing the problem i've embarked with that and been fine
I would ask what version you're on .  In the earlier versions of df2014 dwarves were freezing left right and centre (at least in my forts)
As for the burrow thing, don't they ignore that when they're on station?  (or maybe, just maybe, the problem is they're stationed outside the burrow but not allowed to attack things outside it?  but I doubt that)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Someone please look at the emotions of your dwarves. How do they feel about it?

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You probably already did this but did you completely shut down the game before loading the save?

I've had this problem, but as I said in another thread, issuing a kill order works for me.

I hope this issue is resolved soonish. If you can, send that save to any relevant bug reports on the bug tracker.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

40.13 is the version I have at the moment.

I wasn't using burrows yet, I actually forgot to add them. And yes, each time I completely shut down the game and restarted it.

As for their thoughts about it, I saw some with Adept Discipline wuss out immediately. But  many/most are like "I have a part in this" and such.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:15:46 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure this bug happens because people rely on magma and traps so much. I've never gotten it, and I rely purely on dwarf power.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Dwarves not fighting! They just stand there and get slaughtered!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 02:18:38 am »

I usually engage the enemy by using a move order to a squad, and then a kill order on a foe.  I did this on a dingo - didn't like the looks of them - and the marksmen kept chasing the dingos and shooting at them.  I'm not sure why it's happening to you... my biggest problem so far has been one melee dwarf rushing ahead of the others and getting himself killed
hamster cheese supplies are low

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Dwarves not fighting! They just stand there and get slaughtered!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:58:05 pm »

Finally got a good siege and after savescumming 7 times it's just a slaughter. The vast majority of my Dwarves refuse to fight. Most of them have extensive training and good discipline, and are all fully armed and armored. However, they will stand around next to Goblins and just let themselves be killed. They'll dodge, but that's about it. The only time they have fought back in any real way is the last few survivors that sometimes enter a martial trance.

I've tried giving them kill orders, station orders, removing orders - no change. I'll look at them while they are surrounded by Goblins, Ogres, and Trolls and they'll have like go to individual training session or just "station". I tried locking the gates so there was no access back into the fort, but they just stand there. Even my Champion, his skills are so high he should be tearing through them.

Anyone know a way to get them to snap out of this?

EDIT: Also, there is an Ogre who has so far taken about 8 pages of *iron bolts* from my Marksdwarves, who are fighting. It seems to be melee Dwarves and Marksdwarves without ammo who are braindead.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. The various things to try to fix them doesn't help. It's like the siege is hostile to my Dwarves, but they aren't hostile to them. I picked this location and faction to see some action since it shows "AT WAR" with the Goblins instead of the red ------

40.13 is the version I'm playing.

I know you've already said you've used Station Orders, but when this happens to me, giving them Station Orders works.

Here's what I do:
I clear all orders then pause and unpause the game.
Then I give Station Orders to a location that will make my Dwarves walk PAST where the bad guys are.
Unpause the game.

That's what works for me...it happens just about every siege when I have to fight Elves that are mixed in with Goblins.